Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:00 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
MartinEden99I
say we vote on the next "Do atheists..." thread. Here's some proposed candidates:
1) Do atheists still eat babies?
Yes, but only Christian babies.

2) Do atheists believe in purple?
Well, present your evidence for purple.

3) Do atheists fart out loud?
We are the greatest farters in the world. We can rip off digestive thunder at will, be it a series of melodious toots, or one of our megablast porcelain atomizers.

4) Do atheists still believe in purple?
See...I knew that you had no evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 07:24 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
We are not talking about morals. We are talking justice. Do Atheists believe in the concept of Justice?
Hedonism exists in all three camps.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:40 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,082,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Justice is a moral concept, we cannot talk of justice without morals being involved.

And what do you mean by "believe in justice?" Believe that it exists?

If you mean believe that it is a good thing, well, of course. It is a necessary tool for having a lawful civilization.

If you mean justice in the form of personal revenge, then no, that is not something I regard as an especially good idea. Seeking revenge is emotional indulgence and it extends the impact of the original offense and does not restore you to the situation which prevailed before the offense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Justice has to be meted out by some sort of agency. The only justice that actually exists, imperfect though it is, is meted out by society in the form of the legal system, judges, penal institutions, and the like.

Justice meted out, or promised, from imaginary entities does not exist.

I assume you are asking if atheists believe in some form of fairness inherent in the fabric of reality, and the answer there is, first, the only thing you can be certain about an atheist is that they see no reason to believe in the existence of any deities. Secondly, with that understood, I'd warrant that most atheists, like me, believe that there is no such thing as guaranteed, ultimate, eventual justice at some level other than society, where it is not guaranteed and sometimes doesn't happen at all.

This response should not be construed to mean that atheists have no hope or some such. Basically it just means that we are realists. The existence and availability of justice is what it is no matter what you or I think it is or should be. As such, Christians have to deal with the same imperfect world that I do. It's just that they have all the cognitive dissonance of having to explain to themselves silly questions like "why me" when bad things happen to good people, and I don't. (I simply ask, "why not me?"). If a believer thinks god has their back, it is a false comfort which may or may not be betrayed by circumstances and dumb luck. It's a nice illusion when it works; it's a horrible taskmaster when it doesn't work.

From the Atheist point of view,
How is or should justice be rendered to, for example, Hitler and his victims who are not alive?

Old 05-17-2015, 10:04 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
Quote:
We are not talking about morals. We are talking justice. Do Atheists believe in the concept of Justice?
In cosmic justice? No. I don't anyway. Death is the great equaliser. Good or bad, death treats us all the same in the end.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:32 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
How is or should justice be rendered to, for example, Hitler and his victims who are not alive?
Once dead, you are beyond justice. We may trample an evil doers legacy, but the evil doer isn't going to know if he is being praised or condemned. Fatal victims are in the same boat, they are no longer capable of knowing what sort of justice might have been directed at their killer.

So, we are talking then only about matters which are of interest to the living. Hitler was an example of one sort of human, the victims were examples of other types, and of course we should also keep in mind that just because you were a victim of someone horrible, that doesn't mean that you couldn't have been horrible yourself.

We mourn for the innocents, we repudiate the wrong doers, but that is for the benefit of the living, the dead are beyond caring. As others have noted, there is no cosmic justice in operation, what goes around may or may not come around, there is no force directing such matters.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:34 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
?
Both parties are dead.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:36 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
There is no one atheist point of view on this subject.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:06 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,082,979 times
OK. Understood. There is no after life or "cosmic" justice in the Atheists point of view.

And again, this is not an argument based conversation. I am not trying to prove anyone right or wrong. Only asking for my own knowledge.

If both the wrong doer and the victim are alive but the wrong doer is able to dodge the local justice system, or an innocent person is wrongly convicted (say 50 years prison) for something he didn't do - how does Atheism look at these scenario?

Old 05-18-2015, 07:18 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
OK. Understood. There is no after life or "cosmic" justice in the Atheists point of view.

And again, this is not an argument based conversation. I am not trying to prove anyone right or wrong. Only asking for my own knowledge.

If both the wrong doer and the victim are alive but the wrong doer is able to dodge the local justice system, or an innocent person is wrongly convicted (say 50 years prison) for something he didn't do - how does Atheism look at these scenario?
Atheism means a belief in zero God(s). Nothing more. There is no legitimate answer to your question.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:48 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Quote:

As MensaGuy said, there is no answer ot your question, as Atheism has no position on this.

Atheists, however, have opinions about justice. In my opinion these things you mention are examples of miscarriages of justice, however justice is a really "fuzzy" concept. It is a human idea, applied to human activity based on our cultures, experiences and innate ideas of equity. 200 years ago, many considered it unjust to deprive a man of his property by freeing his slave, today we would consider the slavery itself unjust and the unlawful theft of such property as a just and righteous thing to do...

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality