Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I suppose it would be rediculous if it was a required practice of our worship and something we are commanded to do.

The Ahadith are not commandments, they are eyewitness accounts of things Muhammad(saws) said or did.

Drinking camels milk and urine has been used as a cure for many diseases among the desert dwellers of Arabia and North Africa.

Keep in mind water and medicinal plants are not very common in the region. People learned to use what is available.

As to why a witness found this as something important to preserve. My personal opinion is:

The probable significance that struck the witness as important is this is an indication that Islam did not forbid the use of traditional cures.-----To expand further to how it relates today, I see it as verification Islam does not forbid the use of medicine or medical treatment.
It does demonstrate that it is not an inspired writing, though. There are also some hum-dingers that muhammed himself said that are simply not accurate. Such as the formation of a man's sperm: ""Now let man but think from what he is created! He is created from a drop emitted-Proceeding from between the backbone and the ribs," (Qur'an 86:5-7)."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 09:02 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It does demonstrate that it is not an inspired writing, though. There are also some hum-dingers that muhammed himself said that are simply not accurate. Such as the formation of a man's sperm: ""Now let man but think from what he is created! He is created from a drop emitted-Proceeding from between the backbone and the ribs," (Qur'an 86:5-7)."
No they are not inspired writings except for the 40 qudsi ahadith.
Forty Hadith Qudsi in English and Arabic | Faith in Allah

The rest are the words of witnesses as they wrote in accordance with their memory.

There are differences in Hadith by different witnesses. We do not always know exactly what was witnessed. The highest level of reliability are when 4 or more witnesses relate the same thing; the more differences there are between witnesses the less reliable it is.

One of the best examples is the hadith about killing dogs. There ere 6 witnesses if I remember. Muhammad(saws) was asked if there were any animals we are permitted to kill on site.

5 of the witnesses recorded "We are permitted to kill rabid dogs on sight" the 6th one recorded it as "we are to kill dogs on sight"

common sense tells us the 5 are probably correct, but because one did report it differently, we are not absolutely certain as to what was said.

We can not simply quote a hadith and say Muhammad(swt) said this. A study of hadith is a very lengthy and difficult study. We do not always know what was actually said or the reason for it.

No we do not believe the Ahadith are inspired, they are the testimony of witnesses and like all testimony they are limited by the memory of the wirness.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,169 times
Quote:
This is actually a misunderstanding of Arabic, the problem is from reading the translation and also due to assumptions made by critics of the Qur'an that are simply untrue. And note that we don't view the Qur'an as the word of the Prophet (saw) we view it as the direct word of God (swt).

Rebuttal to Sam Shamoun on Semen Production in the Noble Quran.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
This is actually a misunderstanding of Arabic, the problem is from reading the translation and also due to assumptions made by critics of the Qur'an that are simply untrue. And note that we don't view the Qur'an as the word of the Prophet (saw) we view it as the direct word of God (swt).

I'm aware of that spin, and I just don't buy it. But hey..if it helps you sleep at night....

Old 05-20-2015, 09:15 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,169 times
Quote:
I'm aware of that spin, and I just don't buy it. But hey..if it helps you sleep at night....
It's not spin. I can read Arabic and understand that the majority of seminal fluid is not from the testicles.

But whatever makes *you* sleep better at night given your disbelief...

Old 05-20-2015, 09:23 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Oh, lookie! Viz is, once again, pulling his info, and arguments, about another faith straight from the website of the aptly-named Slick.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh, lookie! Viz is, once again, pulling his info, and arguments, about another faith straight from the website of the aptly-named Slick.
OK? And can you refute the argument or just use logical fallacies to try to discredit it?

Old 05-20-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
It's not spin. I can read Arabic and understand that the majority of seminal fluid is not from the testicles.

But whatever makes *you* sleep better at night given your disbelief...
But that's not what the verse states. It states that he is formed from a drop.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:

I encourage you to make corrections as needed. Viz pulled that off a website - carm - written by a fundamentalist who is not exactly un-biased. The writer, who twists and distorts what other faiths believe, encourages his breathless followers to lift what he writes and "share" it on websites such as CD.

BTW: The aptly named Slick, uses that quote to "prove" that the Quran is wrong.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-20-2015 at 09:51 AM..

Old 05-20-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
OK? And can you refute the argument or just use logical fallacies to try to discredit it?
Unlike you, Viz, I respect other faiths. There are Muslim members of this board who are very capable of correcting your errors. They know more about their faith than you and your guru the aptly-named Slick. If you want to debate them.... go for it. That will give them the opportunity to explain what their faith actually believes (not the aptly-named Slick's version of it) and I'll get to learn more about it Islam. Win-win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality