Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DO YOU ACCEPT JESUS'S GIFT OF SALVATION, BELIEVING THAT HE DIED AND ROSE AGAIN FOR YOUR SINS?
YES 23 21.50%
NO 53 49.53%
I ALREADY ACCEPTED JESUS CHRIST BEFORE 18 16.82%
OTHER 13 12.15%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:48 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaddingtonx View Post
That the Old Testament and the Jewish Torah are one and the same.
I would just LOVE to see you prove this...Don't listen to some ignoramus TELL you that the Old Testament and TaNaKh are the same...Do you own research...Get a genuine TaNaKh and compare it with the Christian Old Testament...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I can clearly show through the OT that Jesus Christ is the messiah.
No you can't...And you definitely can't using the Hebrew TaNaKh...

Old 05-25-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
The OT IS the Jewish Bible you are wrong. Even the Jewish site I posted says that. I guess you don't believe them either.
No, the Jewish site that you posted doesn't say that and you are wrong, the Old Testament is NOT the Jewish bible and I will prove it to you...Go ahead and through some prophecies at me and I'll demonstrate...

Old 05-27-2015, 08:53 PM

39 posts, read 37,771 times
You obviously don't know the books of the Bible. Here is an excerpt from that site regarding the book of the Torah. They are the same exact books but the TITLES may be changed. That's why the Christian Biblical name is in parenthesis.

Torah

Level: Basic
• Torah in the narrowest sense refers to the first five books of the Bible
• In a broader sense, Torah includes all Jewish law and tradition
• Torah was given to Moses in written form with oral commentary
• The oral component is now written in the Talmud
• There are additional important writings

The word "Torah" is a tricky one, because it can mean different things in different contexts. In its most limited sense, "Torah" refers to the Five Books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. But the word "torah" can also be used to refer to the entire Jewish bible (the body of scripture known to non-Jews as the Old Testament and to Jews as the Tanakh or Written Torah), or in its broadest sense, to the whole body of Jewish law and teachings.
Written Torah

To Jews, there is no "Old Testament." The books that Christians call the New Testament are not part of Jewish scripture. The so-called Old Testament is known to us as Written Torah or the Tanakh.
This is a list of the books of Written Torah, in the order in which they appear in Jewish translations, with the Hebrew name of the book, a translation of the Hebrew name (where it is not the same as the English name), and English names of the books (where it is not the same as the Hebrew name). The Hebrew names of the first five books are derived from the first few words of the book. The text of each book is more or less the same in Jewish translations as what you see in Christian bibles, although there are some occasional, slight differences in the numbering of verses and there are some significant differences in the translations.
TORAH (The Law):
  • Berei****h (In the beginning...) (Genesis)
  • Shemoth (The names...) (Exodus)
  • Vayiqra (And He called...) (Leviticus)
  • Bamidbar (In the wilderness...) (Numbers)
  • Devarim (The words...) (Deuteronomy)
NEVI'IM (The Prophets):
  • Yehoshua (Joshua)
  • Shoftim (Judges)
  • Shmuel (I &II Samuel)
  • Melakhim (I & II Kings)
  • Yeshayah (Isaiah)
  • Yirmyah (Jeremiah)
  • Yechezqel (Ezekiel)
  • The Twelve (treated as one book):
    • Hoshea (Hosea)
    • Yoel (Joel)
    • Amos
    • Ovadyah (Obadiah)
    • Yonah (Jonah)
    • Mikhah (Micah)
    • Nachum
    • Chavaqquq (Habbakkuk)
    • Tzefanyah (Zephaniah)
    • Chaggai
    • Zekharyah (Zechariah)
    • Malakhi
KETHUVIM (The Writings):
  • Tehillim (Psalms)
  • Mishlei (Proverbs)
  • Iyov (Job)
  • Shir Ha-Shirim (Song of Songs)
  • Ruth
  • Eikhah (Lamentations)
  • Qoheleth (the author's name) (Ecclesiastes)
  • Esther
  • Daniel
  • Ezra & Nechemyah (Nehemiah) (treated as one book)
  • Divrei Ha-Yamim (The words of the days) (Chronicles)
Written Torah is often referred to as the Tanakh, which is an acrostic of Torah, Nevi'im and Ketuvim.

Now here are the books of the Bible. They are the same exact books, but the TITLES may be changed:
Old Testament[edit]

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi.
New Testament[edit]

Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Jude, Revelation.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:27 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
You obviously don't know the books of the Bible. Here is an excerpt from that site regarding the book of the Torah. They are the same exact books but the TITLES may be changed. That's why the Christian Biblical name is in parenthesis.

Torah

Level: Basic
• Torah in the narrowest sense refers to the first five books of the Bible
• In a broader sense, Torah includes all Jewish law and tradition
• Torah was given to Moses in written form with oral commentary
• The oral component is now written in the Talmud
• There are additional important writings

The word "Torah" is a tricky one, because it can mean different things in different contexts. In its most limited sense, "Torah" refers to the Five Books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. But the word "torah" can also be used to refer to the entire Jewish bible (the body of scripture known to non-Jews as the Old Testament and to Jews as the Tanakh or Written Torah), or in its broadest sense, to the whole body of Jewish law and teachings.
Written Torah

To Jews, there is no "Old Testament." The books that Christians call the New Testament are not part of Jewish scripture. The so-called Old Testament is known to us as Written Torah or the Tanakh.
This is a list of the books of Written Torah, in the order in which they appear in Jewish translations, with the Hebrew name of the book, a translation of the Hebrew name (where it is not the same as the English name), and English names of the books (where it is not the same as the Hebrew name). The Hebrew names of the first five books are derived from the first few words of the book. The text of each book is more or less the same in Jewish translations as what you see in Christian bibles, although there are some occasional, slight differences in the numbering of verses and there are some significant differences in the translations.
TORAH (The Law):
  • Berei****h (In the beginning...) (Genesis)
  • Shemoth (The names...) (Exodus)
  • Vayiqra (And He called...) (Leviticus)
  • Bamidbar (In the wilderness...) (Numbers)
  • Devarim (The words...) (Deuteronomy)
NEVI'IM (The Prophets):
  • Yehoshua (Joshua)
  • Shoftim (Judges)
  • Shmuel (I &II Samuel)
  • Melakhim (I & II Kings)
  • Yeshayah (Isaiah)
  • Yirmyah (Jeremiah)
  • Yechezqel (Ezekiel)
  • The Twelve (treated as one book):
    • Hoshea (Hosea)
    • Yoel (Joel)
    • Amos
    • Ovadyah (Obadiah)
    • Yonah (Jonah)
    • Mikhah (Micah)
    • Nachum
    • Chavaqquq (Habbakkuk)
    • Tzefanyah (Zephaniah)
    • Chaggai
    • Zekharyah (Zechariah)
    • Malakhi
KETHUVIM (The Writings):
  • Tehillim (Psalms)
  • Mishlei (Proverbs)
  • Iyov (Job)
  • Shir Ha-Shirim (Song of Songs)
  • Ruth
  • Eikhah (Lamentations)
  • Qoheleth (the author's name) (Ecclesiastes)
  • Esther
  • Daniel
  • Ezra & Nechemyah (Nehemiah) (treated as one book)
  • Divrei Ha-Yamim (The words of the days) (Chronicles)
Written Torah is often referred to as the Tanakh, which is an acrostic of Torah, Nevi'im and Ketuvim.

Now here are the books of the Bible. They are the same exact books, but the TITLES may be changed:
Old Testament[edit]

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi.
New Testament[edit]

Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Jude, Revelation.
From your post
Quote:
In its most limited sense, "Torah" refers to the Five Books of Moses:
There are no 10 commandments in the Torah there are 10 categories that contain 613 commandmentsThere is nothing in your post that tells me the OT and the Tanakh are the same. what is not mentioned is the different interpretatations between the Tanakh and OT. Two very different things with an attempt to make them the same by giving them similar names.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:54 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
From your post
There are no 10 commandments in the Torah there are 10 categories that contain 613 commandmentsThere is nothing in your post that tells me the OT and the Tanakh are the same. what is not mentioned is the different interpretatations between the Tanakh and OT. Two very different things with an attempt to make them the same by giving them similar names.
613 commandments are a lot! How can I get my neighbor jailed or stoned for his barking dog. It is so annoying!

Old 05-28-2015, 01:22 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,668,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
. I'm not sure anyone deserves eternal torment.
I am sure
Allah has promised the hypocrites - men and women
and the disbelievers, the Fire of Hell;
therein shall they abide.
It will suffice them. Allah has cursed them and for them is the lasting torment. The Holy Quran.
Quote:
One person dying for the sins of another is unjust.
you are correct and the Holy Quran confirm that

Say: Shall I seek a lord other than Allah, while He is the Lord of all things?
No person earns any (sin) except against himself (only),
and no bearer of burdens shall bear the burden of another.
Then unto your Lord is your return, so He will tell you that wherein you have been differing. The Holy Quran.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:58 PM

39 posts, read 37,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
From your post
Completely false. You don't know what you are talking about.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Completely false. You don't know what you are talking about.
What's so false about what he posted?..

Old 06-03-2015, 10:34 AM

689 posts, read 494,657 times
As a kid of eleven I did the 'born again' thing. I was pressurised into it by religious parents and a sadistic paternal grandmother, who took great pleasure describing her version of the tortures of hell to me from the age of two! However by the time I married and left home at 19, the doubts had become too overwhelming and I lost my faith. I am now 65 and have never missed it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality