Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2015, 11:51 AM

779 posts, read 483,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Yes, when it is forced on another person, including a sibling, it is called MOLESTATION. And yes, you are downplaying it any time you make it sound like that is consensual curiosity.
I get the feeling you're not telling us something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 11:52 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,612,234 times
Quote:
This whole thread frankly pisses me off. How many posters in this thread have actually dealt with something like this first-hand? You speak for those sisters as if you know what would have been best for them, but you don't know. You weren't there, you don't have all the information, but yet you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the best thing for them would have been to have their brother removed from their lives? And that the parents should have been brought up on charges of child abuse/neglect so that their family could have lived with the threat of having their parents taken away from them too?

This kind of judgmental crap that is heaped upon families who deal with situations like this to the best of their ability, even if their judgment is not always the best, is at least part of the reason they are afraid to seek help and it ends up being kept secret. YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROBLEM.
Actually, attitudes such as yours contribute to the problem. Yes, I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that allowing the abuse to continue was not in the victims' best interest.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:52 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,950,635 times
Quote:
This whole thread frankly pisses me off. How many posters in this thread have actually dealt with something like this first-hand? You speak for those sisters as if you know what would have been best for them, but you don't know. You weren't there, you don't have all the information, but yet you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the best thing for them would have been to have their brother removed from their lives? And that the parents should have been brought up on charges of child abuse/neglect so that their family could have lived with the threat of having their parents taken away from them too?

This kind of judgmental crap that is heaped upon families who deal with situations like this to the best of their ability, even if their judgment is not always the best, is at least part of the reason they are afraid to seek help and it ends up being kept secret. YOU ARE CONTRIBUTING TO THE PROBLEM.
Quote:
Using this incident for ANYthing other than to help the victims and, since this is a family voluntarily in the public eye, allow them to be part of educating society about the problem if they so desire, is beyond crass and insensitive. As it is, the amount of judgment and hostility being heaped on the family as a whole can do nothing to help those girls. STOP using their pain to promote an agenda. You who do so re-victimize those you say you care about.
We do not always see eye-to-eye but I agree with you here. We aren't even focusing on the victims and what they are going through, especially knowing that, at least for some, that their own brother did this.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:54 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,349,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willingsniper View Post
I am not downplaying anything. It just seems to me that you are all surprised such a thing could occur.
What on earth gives you the impression that I'm surprised?

Quote:
The mother has been pregnant over half her life. This is a very sexually active blood line. Maybe Joshie felt left out. It seems all you want to hear is someone else with the same righteous indignation.

How is this not the subject matter of this thread? Does everyone need to have the exact same opinion? He was 14. Fourteen year old boys are exploding with sexual desires. If we were still in the natural world this would be the time we would be mating and raising families.

Do I think he should have been allowed to do it, no. Do I think h=is role model had something to do with his actions? Yes I do.

The name of the show is 'Nineteen Kids and Counting' for christ's sake. It's all about sex.

Who do you thing Cain had relations with if their holy book is correct? Some one adam and eve birthed.
You talk out of both sides of your mouth. First you say he shouldn't have been allowed to do it, then you justify it with an archaic bible story?

It's not okay for a 14 year old boy to molest his sisters. Ever. Under any circumstances. At any time. For any reason.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:58 AM

No one ever said it was okay. But those archaic bible stories are what they believe in. I am pointing out the confusing message these children received.

And like they themselves said 'It has brought them closer to god' and that's a good thing right?

Te bible is rife with incest, pedophilia, and rape.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Of course not. Why would you think that?

But the fact is, this was a 14 year old and his sister that was close in age. It was almost 15 years ago. All parties are grown up and well-adjusted. There appears to have been no long-term damage. Whatever they did to address the situation appears to have worked.
You don't seem to be aware of the actual facts which have been made public.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:03 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,349,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Actually, attitudes such as yours contribute to the problem. Yes, I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that allowing the abuse to continue was not in the victims' best interest.
You twist. At no point did I even hint at the idea that the abuse shouldn't have been stopped. I spoke only to the idea that their brother should have been removed from the girls' lives or the parents reported as neglectful when none of us know the full story. The abuse was not allowed to continue once it was known about, as I understand it. It was treated by the parents as something that was not okay, wrong, and not to continue. Did they handle it the best way possible? I don't know. I wasn't there.

I'm all for discussing what are healthy ways for families to handle these situations. I'm against using this story to promote any agenda in a way that is further harmful to those girls.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I guess forgiveness doesn't exist in your brand of Christianity. We happen to believe the a repented sinner can be RENEWED through faith in Jesus Christ. They are only hypocrites if Josh is actually engaging in this activity. He's not. This happened 14 years ago.
They are hypocrites because they present themselves as protectors of children, warning that marriage equality harms them. All the while, they stood by and did nothing while their own children were being molested.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willingsniper View Post
Is that what I 'SEEM' to be doing? Oh you capitalized MOLESTATION. I should start using that word instead in your opinion I guess.

I am not down playing anything. I am simply stating that it happens quite often. In some cases siblings keep it a secret and go on doing it for years.
The siblings did not keep it a secret. At least one sibling told her parents.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:08 PM

Has anyone here experience incest firsthand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality