Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 12:22 PM

63,610 posts, read 39,905,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
It kind of is an insult, because it attempts to implicitly place you as an authority figure, imparting your "wisdom" to a young ignorant pupil... It clearly denotes that you do not believe this is a conversation or discussion between equals, but rather on opportunity for you to share your divinely inspired "truth".
-NoCapo
Oh come on, NoCapo. I am a retired Professor talking to a youngster . . . what the hell is equal about that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 12:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,108,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I never heard the term "grasshopper" as an insult until I met MysticPhd.
I've never seen Mystic use it as an insult.

He uses it, as do I, to refer to a younger person/student. The teacher calls the student Grasshopper. Very common from the days of the Kung Fu TV show. It's not something you should take offense at, Freak. Unless you think you know everything and have nothing to learn. In which case...... okie dokey then..... moving right along...

Old 07-13-2015, 12:47 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,781,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Oh come on, NoCapo. I am a retired Professor talking to a youngster . . . what the hell is equal about that???
Exactly my point! Your domain knowledge is not applicable here, certainly not when you mangle your syllogisms, opine ignorantly and in a misleading manner about astrophysics and quantum mechanics, and the like. Like it or not, your credentials and age give you zero credibility on an internet forum. Here, you are what you type. Your reputation, and any authority or respect others choose to give you is earned solely by your contribution.

As such, if a 15 year old kid can make better points and argue more coherently than you do, you become the "grasshopper". To simply assume that, because you are older ( which you don't really know ) and are a retired professor in an unrelated field, you are automatically more intellegent, or wiser is... well, arrogant.

But at least you know and admit that your bloviations are rooted in an inflated sense of self worth. That's a start. Next you can try to actually engage people in ideas and discussions instead of proclaiming the gospel of Mystic that was revealed to you in a dream...

-NoCapo

Old 07-13-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've never seen Mystic use it as an insult.

He uses it, as do I, to refer to a younger person/student. The teacher calls the student Grasshopper. Very common from the days of the Kung Fu TV show. It's not something you should take offense at, Freak. Unless you think you know everything and have nothing to learn. In which case...... okie dokey then..... moving right along...
Well eventually Grasshopper, you will gain wisdom and maturity, and see that I am right and that it is an insult used to put someone in their place...

-NoCapo

Old 07-13-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Well eventually Grasshopper, you will gain wisdom and maturity, and see that I am right and that it is an insult used to put someone in their place...

-NoCapo
Hmmmm..... Looks like I need to think up a new name. I'm liking Thorn Bug.

"Free your mind, Thorn Bug."

Yep. That works.

Old 07-13-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm..... Looks like I need to think up a new name. I'm liking Thorn Bug.

"Free your mind, Thorn Bug."

Yep. That works.
I rest my case.
Just as "Grasshopper" is an insinuation that the other party is less experienced and wise, and in need of guidance, "Thorn Bug" insinuates that I am prickly. And sure enough, I can be. I can take it as well as anyone else, but lets not pretend that these are not insults meant to dig at or needle the person in question. And lets not gasp in faux outrage when someone calls us on it, or forms an impression of us based on the attitudes displayed...

-NoCapo

Old 07-13-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I rest my case.
Just as "Grasshopper" is an insinuation that the other party is less experienced and wise, and in need of guidance, "Thorn Bug" insinuates that I am prickly. And sure enough, I can be. I can take it as well as anyone else, but lets not pretend that these are not insults meant to dig at or needle the person in question. And lets not gasp in faux outrage when someone calls us on it, or forms an impression of us based on the attitudes displayed...

-NoCapo
Actually... that wasn't directed at you but your reaction is noted. I joined this little tiff simply to give my opinion on the use of Grasshopper. I'm keeping Bug Thorn. It's fun to say and easy to type. "What did you learn at school today, Bug Thorn?"

"I learned not everyone is a David Carradine fan."

Old 07-13-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Actually... that wasn't directed at you but your reaction is noted. I joined this little tiff simply to give my opinion on the use of Grasshopper. I'm keeping Bug Thorn. It's fun to say and easy to type. "What did you learn at school today, Bug Thorn?"

See, I can get prickly, even when it isn't warranted

But, I do have to ask... Thorn Bug or Bug Thorn? The first sounds like an actual bug, the second sounds like the hero of a 1940's radio drama, written from the perspective of the alien mantis invaders... "Tune in next week as Bug Thorn struggles valiantly against the evil Flash Gordon to save his species from extinction..."

-NoCapo

Old 07-13-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
See, I can get prickly, even when it isn't warranted

But, I do have to ask... Thorn Bug or Bug Thorn? The first sounds like an actual bug, the second sounds like the hero of a 1940's radio drama, written from the perspective of the alien mantis invaders... "Tune in next week as Bug Thorn struggles valiantly against the evil Flash Gordon to save his species from extinction..."

-NoCapo
Nice catch! Thorn Bug.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:19 PM

19,862 posts, read 13,385,354 times
Quote:

I can't help but recall a parody of Kung Fu I saw somewhere on old-style network TV in which Jim Nabors, in full Gomer Pyle mode, took the James Carradine role. The parody title was Young Fool. And in the parody the master called him "weed hopper".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality