Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a sub forum dedicated to just Spirituality?
Yes. 14 50.00%
No. 14 50.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 08:57 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Such a case can be made against any subforum. Subforums exist for a reason and this reason is just as c applicable to Spirituality as it does to any other subforum, I.e. to organize like discussions conducted by individuals interested in the particular topic. Frankly, I don't understand why the resistance. Subforums are designed to organize discussions. A cacophony of discussions all thrown into a single forum is not conducive to growth of a specific subject.
I see no advantage to reducing the audience and scope of Spirituality to an increasingly myopic view of it. In this forum it attracts all those who are spiritual . . .however they define it. It is not limited to any particular narrow view of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 09:30 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I see no advantage to reducing the audience and scope of Spirituality to an increasingly myopic view of it. In this forum it attracts all those who are spiritual . . .however they define it. It is not limited to any particular narrow view of it.
As expected, your explanation reveals your obvious biases. As I said, with your reasoning we should eliminate all subforums. The subforums exist for a reason. To understand the reason is to understand why a Spirituality subforum is appropriate.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
As expected, your explanation reveals your obvious biases. As I said, with your reasoning we should eliminate all subforums. The subforums exist for a reason. To understand the reason is to understand why a Spirituality subforum is appropriate.
Since it seems to be YOU who wants to narrow the audience and scope of Spirituality to your own version of it . . . it is more than a little ironic that you would accuse me of bias when my view is so much more encompassing of a universal Spirituality defined by those individuals who own it..

Old 05-25-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Since it seems to be YOU who wants to narrow the audience and scope of Spirituality to your own version of it . . . it is more than a little ironic that you would accuse me of bias when my view is so much more encompassing of a universal Spirituality defined by those individuals who own it..
A spirituality forum is exactly that. It is not a religious forum nor is it an atheist forum. It is not a forum devoted to a specific religion or philosophy, e.g. Buddhism. It is a subforum devoted to those who do not fit into any of these categories but still have spirituality. Even match.com recognizes this category of thought and it is one of the most common ones. Much more so than atheism or some of the other modes of thought which are deemed worthy of a subforum.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
A spirituality forum is exactly that. It is not a religious forum nor is it an atheist forum. It is not a forum devoted to a specific religion or philosophy, e.g. Buddhism. It is a subforum devoted to those who do not fit into any of these categories but still have spirituality. Even match.com recognizes this category of thought and it is one of the most common ones. Much more so than atheism or some of the other modes of thought which are deemed worthy of a subforum.
Hmmm . . . It would seem I have encountered a fundamentalist of another stripe. Why don't you post one of your unique Spirituality posts and we'll discuss it here and see if we can't discern what your problem is with this forum.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Hmmm . . . It would seem I have encountered a fundamentalist of another stripe. Why don't you post one of your unique Spirituality posts and we'll discuss it here and see if we can't discern what your problem is with this forum.
It would be great to have a spirituality forum to avoid these type of discussions and questions. You underscore the the advantage of such a forum.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:18 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,351 times
Quote:
Excuse me for butting in but it has already been spoken of as to the problem of this forum. It is too crowned with theists and atheists who are yappin' about non spiritual things.

Plus there don't seem to be an abundance of spiritual people, perhaps because of this.

An atheist is hardly likely to discern anything to do with why there is no spiritual forum from 'unique spiritual posts.'

Old 05-25-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
This forum is as mature and practical an environment as you are likely to find. ANY Spirituality topic can be posted and if there is the interest in it that you think there is . . . It will be responded to. This silly desire to proliferate fora is just stupid. Each separate forum reduces the attendant audience.
It is not about quantity but quality. Why do you really have a problem with a separate forum for spiritual unity which does not have to put up with threads which are irrelevant to spirituality? Do you prefer a stacked deck and odds on favor?

Each to their own then.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Tell me about this spirituality you have Mystic - it sounds intriguing and I have not heard you speak of it before.

The narrow thing happening around here mostly is the persistent arguing between theists and atheists. Those involved are myopic to things spiritual, which is precisely why the atheists are voting against the idea and the religious are staying out of it.

Atheists don;t want more spirituality but less and your presumption that it can be limited to a particular narrow view is ignorance.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Well you don't hear that too often so why in the world would you want to discourage people having a sub forum where they can express their individual universal Spirituality in the spirit of unity where the content is more organised and thus more easily navigated?

Surely if you respect individual spirituality and its ability to connect and unify individuals universally, you would want to see it recognized as a bona fide worthy of subforum status position such as your own, or theists and pagans and not buried under the present avalanche of organised theism and their counter contenders?

Surely...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality