Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 11:22 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

Again, it is clearly intended to be an insult. Telling me that I lack education contributes NOTHING to the discussion. It was meant to antagonize me.
That's absurd. The entire point of the discussion is that YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT - so, pointing out that you are uneducated is perhaps the most relevant thing I can say.

Quote:

If we are dealing with a simple matter of disbelief, we should be able to have a friendly civilized discussion instead of feeling the need to insult and degrade my personal character. Instead, I always see atheists attacking Christianity with venomous anger and hostility. Of course you won't admit it.
Who are you to preach to me about attacking your character? All I'm doing is pointing out that you have no clue what you're talking about. You're the one who keeps accusing me of lying, as you - once again - do in this post. Mr. Pot.

Quote:
I sincerely doubt you hold any sympathy for me. This is just another dig at me. I have a strong love of life and love for people. The flip side of the coin is I have an extremely low tolerance for rude people.
Oh, yeah, of course.... I'm a liar again. Yawn.

As for the rudeness... well, yes. Some of us probably are quite peremptory toward you. But you know, when you go around making excuses for people who rape children, you're going to have to expect that it brings out a somewhat more hostile tone in people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 11:56 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Because their apologetics are long since debunked and it is like people digging up Velikovsky or Edgar Cayce in efforts to debunk science. And, while I concede that the 'Why don't you follow the OT' is a bit old hat (though let's face it, Cherry -picking OT when it suits invites the criticism) the 'Amputees' argument is such a damn' good argument that your sniping at it smacks of not being able to come up with anything better.
You haven't heard jeff respond to my post 126 where I called him out on the "stage 4 thyroid cancer" of his buddy have you? The miracle cure was surgery, just like my wife got.

Edgar Cayce is an interesting study however. He doesn't debunk science. His life simply proves that there are somethings we do not yet understand. Cayce was a bit like the "cancer dogs" of today. He could literally lay his hands on a person and state to doctors where the problem was. It drained him physically however and he could only handle about two patients per day. But the hospital he built was manned by licensed physicians and nurses, and the time he gave to the hospital was generally on their most difficult cases. His ability to "see" what physical problem someone had began at a young age, and continued up to his last years where he became more frail in trying to make so many "readings." Personally, I think he had the human equivalent of what those cancer dogs have--an ability to sense something wasn't quite right.

On the other hand it would be equally interesting to hear someone state that Cayce was a Christian. He believed in reincarnation and that people kept coming back until they got it right--sounds more Hindu to me. I can't remember now as I read his biography decades ago, but there were some other things, that while spiritual in nature, would cause fundamentalists to stand on their heads and try to stack greasy bb's.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:27 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
But it's in the Bible!
And?

Quote:
Yes I have, and it was rejected immediately. No point in trying again.
No you have not. Certainly not in any thread I have ever read. And after claiming you have 100 proofs, you have not shown 1 of them, let alone 100.

But keep copping out, we are used it now.

Quote:
Illogical - believing that man arrived here by random forces from some inorganic goop.
Illogical because you simply declare it to be so? Or can you argue this case you just asserted?

Quote:
You pose an unanswerable question and then cry out victory only because it is unanswerable.
Actually check the mirror son because that is what you do. Take for example your "miracle healings" tripe. You have not established that any single ONE of them was a "miracle". Rather all you have done is cherry pick unexplained medical events, and demand that other people prove it was NOT god that was involved.

So clean up your own house before you presume to check others for dust. The rhetoric of couching your god arguments in unanswerable nonsense is yours, not the people you accuse of it.

Or do you feel that you are allowed use the kind of arguments that you preclude in everyone else? FAR from the first time I have had to point out that you like "one rule for you, one for everyone else".

Quote:
You honestly think anything you say is going to make me give up on my faith?
Shows the difference between us. I am happy to change my mind on ANY subject if given just reason and cause to do so. You however declare yourself from the outset to be unalterable regardless of what anyone might ever say. You are not only the close minded fundamentalist here, but are proud to admit it and fly the flag yourself without anyone else having to accuse you of it.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:32 AM

779 posts, read 484,064 times
Quote:
The Amputees argument is not a good argument in the least. It is a non sequitur fallacy. You pose an unanswerable question and then cry out victory only because it is unanswerable. I have tackled this argument before and pointed out that even a display of spontaneous growth would be easily dismissed by atheists. There is ALWAYS a way. You would claim it was a magician's trick. I don't believe for a second that an atheist would proclaim belief in God if God would just perform this one little parlor trick for them. After all, Jesus did more amazing things like raising people from the dead and the skeptics were not moved.

At the end of the day, it is a pointless question. It is just an atheist trap question. If God choses not to regrow limbs, how does that exactly prove that there is no God? It doesn't.
Because jesus proclaimed it. He said anything you ask... So I say get three true believers and pray in the format provided by the bible.

Think of the good you could do and the glory to god it would inspire in the world.

By the way this is god we are speaking of. He created everything from nothing in six days. He could most likely poof the arms and legs back into existence. Even add some light effects for flavor.

No one would be able to say it wasn't god. Stuff like that has never happened, ever. I would fall to my knees and bring him a cup of coffee, and a bagel with a schmear and some lox

Last edited by willingsniper; 06-03-2015 at 10:51 AM..

Old 06-03-2015, 10:34 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:

Even so, what is wrong with agreeing with Matt Slick?
He's a cult leader who specializes in double speak. Dangerous things, cult leaders. Their breathless followers get brainwashed into believing, then repeating, whatever nonsense the cult leader spouts. Cult leaders indoctrinate their followers by instilling an "us against them" mentality. They twist the facts to promote their agenda at the expense of the truth.

Cults lead to nothing good. Fundamentalism is harmful to children and other living things.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:54 AM

jesus said:

"And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

Get the prayer circle together.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:15 AM

Last edited by willingsniper; 06-03-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-03-2015, 11:24 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
He's a cult leader who specializes in double speak. Dangerous things, cult leaders. Their breathless followers get brainwashed into believing, then repeating, whatever nonsense the cult leader spouts. Cult leaders indoctrinate their followers by instilling an "us against them" mentality. They twist the facts to promote their agenda at the expense of the truth.

Cults lead to nothing good. Fundamentalism is harmful to children and other living things.
Translation - don't like what someone says, just call them a cult leader! Works every time.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:01 PM

Like this. Please Jeff! Think of all the people suffering needlessly.

There must be three true believers on here.

Dear God, almighty, all-powerful, all-loving creator of the universe, we pray to you to cure every case of cancer on this planet tonight. We pray in faith, knowing you will bless us as you describe in Matthew 7:7, Matthew 17:20, Matthew 21:21, Mark 11:24, John 14:12-14, Matthew 18:19 and James 5:15-16. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.

jesus said:

"And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

Old 06-03-2015, 12:07 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality