Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 07:01 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
How can this be, the heart does no thinking? I suppose you mean that it comes from emotion instead of logic, of which I agree. However, emotion that contradicts logic is never a reliable measure of truth.
Modern science also believes that heart has a significant number of neurons (40 K, if I remember vaguely) and so does a few other organs in the body.

So if you really want to put it into scientific notations then heart has a brain of its own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 07:17 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Modern science also believes that heart has a significant number of neurons (40 K, if I remember vaguely) and so does a few other organs in the body.

So if you really want to put it into scientific notations then heart has a brain of its own.
The heart and the digestive tract contain their own specialized neurons that participate in autonomic function, but have nothing to do with "thinking". Not all neurons are brain cells, nor are all brain cells neurons. This is a false narrative put forth by theists who wish for it to be true.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:20 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How many others beside you are presenting a fundamentalist view that's not even in line with Christianity before the 20th century? How many others besides yourself are trying to say the fantastical events in a (probably) fictional story are true, including miracles and magic?

Are you saying that you shouldn't be questioned for presenting things that can only be explained by magic?

Honestly, you remind me in some ways of a technical professor who, when he couldn't answer our questions, always said "magic" was the answer.
My answer was no more bizarre than the OP.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:27 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If you are goig to twist scrptues to fit your own agenda, you are no different than satan's twisting scriptures with Jesus.
"Thou shat not tempt the Lord thy God" was originally written to men, much like you whom attempt to use scriptures like an incantation to get what you want from God.
Jesus demonstrated obedience , which is what is required of believers for salvation.
Believing IS obedience.Obedience is believing, Obedience is DOING what you are told.
One yet in rebellion, does not know God nor His voice, to hear Him, much less obey.
Jesus chastized the disciples basicallly being "yes men" and not obedient.
Merely superficially calling Jesus Lord does not mean any thing, except in an attempt to garner favor..
The lifestyle of obedience to Him ,real time, is the demonstration of Hs Lordship in one.
Matthew 7;2,22,23,
I'm really sure He knows those that listen to Him.
Even as a piece of fantasy fiction, it fails greatly. Seriously, as was mentioned, how does an underling / subordinate like "satan" offer the supposed second half of creation, who is alleged to have been present at creation, everything that HE CREATED? If satan isn't stupider than most, then surly the author(s) of this fictional account are lacking serious common sense.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:46 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
The heart and the digestive tract contain their own specialized neurons that participate in autonomic function, but have nothing to do with "thinking". Not all neurons are brain cells, nor are all brain cells neurons. This is a false narrative put forth by theists who wish for it to be true.
But we move back to the original point.

A human being, using his brain, cannot figure everything out in the universe and beyond to submit to faith.

In general, a knowledgeable person submits to someone who is more knowledable than him.

And there is a more knowledgable person on top of every knowledgeable person.

The person who has THE MOST amount of knowledge in the world cannot figure out EVERYTHING. Heck he can't create a fly or mosquito. Forget that, he can't survive without food and water for a month.

So who has ALL the knowledge?
There is only one answer, God!

So I say it again, the brain will help you find the indiactors when u r on the quest to test a faith and find God, but the final leap in the faith comes from the heart - not the brain.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:08 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
My answer was no more bizarre than the OP.
Do you honestly believe that the only reasonable option is to read every fantastic story literally, rather than try to understand what it means?

Old 06-03-2015, 06:24 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Quote:
Do you honestly believe that the only reasonable option is to read every fantastic story literally, rather than try to understand what it means?
For me, I think that where I would differ from your point of view is that I think the idea of "what it means" is flawed. I am not convinced anything has a singular, indisputably correct meaning. Stories, myths, legends, holy books, novels, even history mean what we want them to mean. The ideas we find in stories are based on what we bring to the story.

I don't think you are wrong to find the meaning you do in the specific story, but it seems to me a pretty big stretch, a clear insertion of the concepts you wish to find into a narrative that on its face doesn't contain them. I also don't think jimmiej is correct in asserting the literal truth of the stories, we don't have sufficient evidence for that. I try to take it at face value, a story written to express certain theological ideas, ideas which have been interpreted differently over time, and one that we can try to glean some useful meaning from, or not as you choose.

I just don't think it is very useful to reject the face value, literal meaning, in favor of one very specific metaphorical reading, and claim that this particular reading is what the text "means".

-NoCapo

Old 06-04-2015, 08:34 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
"Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor."
- Matthew 4:8

Do you think this is about religious groups "scouting out" people who are talented, spiritually whole, or charismatic? For the purposes of drawing more people into their religions?

Because I believe that if human nature is the same among all people, this was not just a one time event between Jesus and the Pharisees (or whoever the devil represented). This occurs today with not only organized Christianity, but also things like Scientology which goes after famous actors who have these qualities.
Actually it says Satan...

Old 06-04-2015, 08:35 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
"Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor."
- Matthew 4:8

Do you think this is about religious groups "scouting out" people who are talented, spiritually whole, or charismatic? For the purposes of drawing more people into their religions?

Because I believe that if human nature is the same among all people, this was not just a one time event between Jesus and the Pharisees (or whoever the devil represented). This occurs today with not only organized Christianity, but also things like Scientology which goes after famous actors who have these qualities.
Another proof that he was G-d in the flesh...

Old 06-04-2015, 06:26 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
According to the bible, God has a far higher body count than Satan. So which guy is actually more dangerous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality