Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 02:26 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The creator of both time and space would need to exist independently of time and space in order to create them.
Sounds totally logical, definitely trumps the mountains of evidence for evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 02:28 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
When will faith in scientists predictions die out?
Pffft.

Hopefully soon.

There are scientific beliefs that work and have merit. Then there are scientific notions that are passed around as "fact."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adyqBP5selM

Religion is simply a way to explain the truths that have been lost to time. As in, the science of the past has gotten shrouded in myth. Our science is actually dumber than religion, because it has to go through process of testing its "facts" only to later disprove them until it arrives on virtually the same information.

Also, about that mountain of evidence for evolution? It's been carefully set up as such, with any historical events outside a straight linear pattern getting suppressed.

http://members.iimetro.com.au/~hubbca/archaeology.htm

http://www.messagetoeagle.com/coverupsarchaeology.php

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ci...rthhistory.htm

http://www.ancient-origins.net/ancie...t-times-001539

http://listverse.com/2013/04/12/10-m...civilizations/

History has not moved in a forward (evolutionary) pattern. Instead, we have everything from stair-step evolution to ancient civilizations with more advanced technology than ours. Oh, btw. The nice electric cars that make our crappy gas-guzzlers look like crap? The earliest model was in the 1880s. We are in this mess with the Middle East, because we decided we wanted something that burned oil (it was the era of stuff like oil lanterns, so it made sense at the time).

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 06-02-2015 at 02:39 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 08:50 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You have no idea what an atheist is at all, you just think you do....Below is what most atheists believe

“I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be. ”
― Isaac Asimov
O.K., so where is your evidence that there is no God?

Old 06-02-2015, 08:53 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:
No I neither accept, nor reject the big bang theory...I'm not a cosmologist and am not yet satisfied with the evidence.
I'm not satisfied with the "evidence" for evolution.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:58 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
As mankind has become more educated and knowledgeable concerning science, astronomy, physics and biology, various religious beliefs have "died off". Few worship the spirits in the trees, rocks and animals any more. No one accepts that some sun-god drags the sun across the sky. Witchcraft and "witch doctors" are pretty much a thing of the past. So, the progress in the last few hundred years is obvious. Which brings up the obvious question-how long before the remaining religious superstitions die off and pass into history? It is slowly happening in this country, where increasingly the population identifies themselves as either atheist/agnostic or "non-religious". I do believe it's a matter of time, as many other issues in society have changed over the years.

My guess, and it's only that, is that within the next 50 years, religion will be little more than a memory to be studied in history classes in developed societies. When do you think this will happen?

It won't. Humans are biologically driven to see patterns everywhere, whether those patterns exist or not. See: canals on Mars, connect-the-dots puzzles.

Religious institutions will change to adapt to the needs, desires, and philosophy of the people they are trying to recruit. Religious institutions have always done that.

Hopefully, religions of the future will be less bloody than they've been in the past, and since humans currently appear to be on a less-violent trajectory, that could happen. But if the past relatively less violent 100 years or so prove to be a fluke, we'll go right back to killing each other over the different patterns we see.

(Note - Believe it or not, today we may be living in the most peaceful moment in our species' existence. In his gripping and controversial new work, New York Times bestselling author Steven Pinker shows that despite the ceaseless news about war, crime, and terrorism, violence has actually been in decline over long stretches of history. Exploding myths about humankind's inherent violence and the curse of modernity, this ambitious book continues Pinker's exploration of the essence of human nature, mixing psychology and history to provide a remarkable picture of an increasingly enlightened world.
The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined: Steven Pinker: 9780143122012: Amazon.com: Books)

Old 06-02-2015, 11:31 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
You have no idea what an atheist is at all, you just think you do....Below is what most atheists believe

“I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be. ”
― Isaac Asimov
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post

Quite the conundrum for sanspeur as both the existence of a Creator and a Universe existing without having been created would demand, using sanspeur`s standard, very, very solid evidence, and yet here we are existing in that Universe without any evidence sanspeur would accept as proof that either scenario is valid.

Makes me wonder where all the condescension comes from.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:48 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Where is your evidence that there is no flying mass of pasta with meatballs for eyes?

Old 06-03-2015, 01:32 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Ah, the old tired "proving non-existence" fallacy. It was just a matter of time before this nonsense reared its head.

Sorry champ, the burden of proof is entirely on you to prove sky fairy exists. Get to it.

Quote:
I'm not satisfied with the "evidence" for evolution.
Be specific.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:26 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Quite the conundrum for sanspeur as both the existence of a Creator and a Universe existing without having been created would demand, using sanspeur`s standard, very, very solid evidence, and yet here we are existing in that Universe without any evidence sanspeur would accept as proof that either scenario is valid.

Makes me wonder where all the condescension comes from.
Not a conundrum at all.... Sorry if the concept of answering a question honestly with "I don't know" is foreign to you, but I've noticed that most creationists have trouble doing that, so they just jump to the most convenient myth for an answer.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:33 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
You may as well ask "Where is the evidence that there is no tooth fairy".....Actually the ball is in your park....Where is the evidence that there is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality