Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:27 AM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

Today is the day!
August 22 - End of the World -12th Imam - Muhammad al-Mahdi

In Islam, as in Judaism and Christianity, there are certain beliefs concerning the cosmic struggle at the end of time--Gog and Magog, anti-Christ, Armageddon, and for Shiite Muslims, the long awaited return of the Hidden Imam, ending in the final victory of the forces of good over evil, however these may be defined.

Which one will come first? It seems that every major religion needs something to constantly stress about..What exactly is the so called end time supposed to accomplish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:48 AM

286 posts, read 804,701 times
[quote=sanspeur;4955663]Today is the day!

In Islam, as in Judaism and Christianity, there are certain beliefs concerning the cosmic struggle at the end of time--Gog and Magog, anti-Christ, Armageddon, and for Shiite Muslims, the long awaited return of the Hidden Imam, ending in the final victory of the forces of good over evil, however these may be defined.

Which one will come first? It seems that every major religion needs something to constantly stress about..What exactly is the so called end time supposed to accomplish?[/quote]

The moment we all die and return to Paradise/Heaven with our Creator/God/Allah....which makes total sense for the purpose of life, preparing for our moment to be destroyed

Old 08-22-2008, 10:58 AM

33,531 posts, read 37,136,097 times
The purpose of life is waiting to be destroyed?...Not in my world.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:29 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,492,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Today is the day!

Which one will come first? It seems that every major religion needs something to constantly stress about..What exactly is the so called end time supposed to accomplish?
sanspeur: The Bible does not speak of an end of the world (kosmos) but an end of the age (aion). When age is wrongly read as world, confusion results. For example:

Matthew 24:1ff--The disciples did not ask Jesus about an end of the world (kosmos) but an end of the age (aion). There was an age in which they were then living and an age which was ABOUT TO come (Matthew 12:32; Ephesians 1:21).

The "end" is mentioned by Jesus when addressing His disciples (Matthew 24). He explains to them the things that were to happen before His return--they were the birth pangs (wars, rumors of wars, earthquakes, pestilences, famines). As those things began to happen in their generation, they were to be watchful. Things would get bad but the end (of that age) was not right then. BUT immediately after the "tribulation of those days" which involved that first-century generation, the end would come. His disciples were to recognize it as clearly as they recognized the coming of summer in the budding of the trees. He said directly to THEM--"when YOU see ALL these things, know that it [His coming] is near--at the doors" (Matthew 24:29ff).

There is no end of the world!

Preterist

Old 08-22-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The modern scenario in which many people invision for the end times is derived from the "Left Behind" series of books, which were derived from some other writing in the 70s (I can't remember what it was called). There is very little Biblical evidence for such a scenario and what does exist is open to heavy interpretation. The truth is, nobody knows what is going to happen in the end times.
What end times, bchris02?

Preterist

Old 08-22-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmos View Post
I humbly disagree with you. There will be a closing of the age coming up in the future. When? Only the Lord knows.
Do you have some particular Scriptures in mind, Patmos, from which you get your idea of an upcoming closing of the age?

Preterist

Old 08-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
The Book of Revelation was written for a time long past. It even tells you so.
I concur, TwentyFourSeven. In case we missed it the first time in Revelation 1:1 and 3, the time frame is repeated in Revelation 22:6 and 10. I don't understand why so many miss that (or ignore it, perhaps?).

Preterist

Old 08-22-2008, 12:21 PM

286 posts, read 804,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The purpose of life is waiting to be destroyed?...Not in my world.

Mine neither..but thats what they believe. Why people sit there and waste thier entire lives waiting for the world to end beats me

Old 08-23-2008, 10:45 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,970,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misunderstood81 View Post
Thanks for the clarification. That still doesn't get to the point of my post though. Do you believe in Satan and the antichrist? I did not like Nicholai Carpathia in "Left Behind" because he has blond hair and blue eyes like me. Sorry, I guess I am just trying to be humorous when in reality this isn't funny at all. Well, if you have any more input on this I would love to hear from you. Thanks.
When I was about 4 years old I had a dream or a vision of the anti Christ. I can't say for sure which it was. I lived near midway airport back in the 1950s. And I recall seeing those big four engine prop planes fly over the house back then. They were so low, that you could feel the noise from their engines deep in your chest. I recall seeing one of those planes fly over, but this one was different from all the other planes. This one made no noise, and it seem just to float. The front of the plane was cut away where the pilots should of been, and it was now more of a platform. I could see what appeared to be three people standing on it. Two of the people were dressed in white, and the third man who was positioned in the middle and was dressed all in black. He looked to be very important, and it was like seeing the president. He had his arm extended, and it was like he was pointing back and forth over the whole earth. I kept this in my memory for many years, yet I never really understood what it ment, at least not until some years latter when I was 17 years old. It was then when I found myself in a church where the minister was speaking about the coming anti Christ. When I heard that message the memory of that man came back to me, and I knew then that the person the minister was speaking of, was the same one I had saw in my dream or vision from years before. At that time, my father and mother were more into drinking than church, so I had no real religious influnence in my life, yet that was my first encounter into Biblical understanding. In 1973 I had an encounter with two demons, and it required the aid of other Christians to help me rid myself of them. I do believe in the Devil, and I do believe in the anti Christ to come. I believe the Bible has been telling us the truth. As far as those Christian movies, I have yet to see a Christian movie even begin to tell the story of the end times. Maybe someday.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
When I was about 4 years old I had a dream or a vision of the anti Christ. I can't say for sure which it was. I lived near midway airport back in the 1950s. And I recall seeing those big four engine prop planes fly over the house back then. They were so low, that you could feel the noise from their engines deep in your chest. I recall seeing one of those planes fly over, but this one was different from all the other planes. This one made no noise, and it seem just to float. The front of the plane was cut away where the pilots should of been, and it was now more of a platform. I could see what appeared to be three people standing on it. Two of the people were dressed in white, and the third man who was positioned in the middle and was dressed all in black. He looked to be very important, and it was like seeing the president. He had his arm extended, and it was like he was pointing back and forth over the whole earth. I kept this in my memory for many years, yet I never really understood what it ment, at least not until some years latter when I was 17 years old. It was then when I found myself in a church where the minister was speaking about the coming anti Christ. When I heard that message the memory of that man came back to me, and I knew then that the person the minister was speaking of, was the same one I had saw in my dream or vision from years before. At that time, my father and mother were more into drinking than church, so I had no real religious influnence in my life, yet that was my first encounter into Biblical understanding. In 1973 I had an encounter with two demons, and it required the aid of other Christians to help me rid myself of them. I do believe in the Devil, and I do believe in the anti Christ to come. I believe the Bible has been telling us the truth. As far as those Christian movies, I have yet to see a Christian movie even begin to tell the story of the end times. Maybe someday.
There is no anti-christ to come. It was just a bad dream!

Preterist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality