Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 01:54 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Then all the intimidation and coercion from the evangelicals to convert everyone? What then is with that "go into the world and make disciples of everyone" all about?

And most importantly, why all the wars, killing, discrimination, HATE, and bigotry in the name of this ONE god?

If we all have the choice, why do they bother to convince others and condemn the "non-believer" to an eternal fire where they have wailing and gnashing?
If you think logically, you can never drilled this into someone's heart to follow a certain faith by holding a gun to his head.
The call to believing in God comes from the heart itself.

Political and/or religious leaders who are after grabbing money and power in the name of religion know that due to emotional component and attachment to our individual faiths, it's very easy to manipulate masses under the guise of religion.

As I said, read any holy text and you won't find God telling people to kill the innocent, create trouble on earth, fight wars to win land and oil burried underneath it etc - it's a human chiice that someone of us has taken this route - and again we are responsible for our choices in the end.

Did you notice there is a lot of good work also done in the name of GOD.
This could be building hospitals - free medical care - volunteering - charity - be kind to each other - caring for our Neighbour and elederly etc?

These are all the choices that we made based on free will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 01:56 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
As I said, read any holy text and you won't find God telling people to kill the innocent, create trouble on earth, fight wars to win land
Au contraire!

Old 06-14-2015, 02:30 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
you can never drilled this into someone's heart to follow a certain faith by holding a gun to his head.

These are all the choices that we made based on free will.
but there is no free will when someone is threatened with death if they leave that religion, including children who surely do not have free will and are born into the religion:

All four schools of Sunni Islamic law (Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi’i, and Hanbali), as well as the other main schools of Shia Islamic law (al- Ismāʿīliyyūn and Ithnāʿashariyya), unanimously agree that a former Muslim male, also known as an apostate, must be executed. While some hold that an apostate woman should also be executed, the Encyclopedia of Islamic Law: A Compendium of the Major Schools, adapted by Laleh Bakhtiar, states that she should be imprisoned or beaten five times a day until she repents or dies. As far as his children are concerned, after they reach the age of puberty, then if they leave Islam and they do not repent they must be killed

No religion other than Islam kills those who leave it, a sign of lack of confidence in Islam's ability to survive among other religions that do not kill to keep their followers in line. A sound philosophy never requires violence or threats to retain believers.

As Geert Wilders puts it, "Any religion that invites you in but then will not let you out is no longer a religion."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-14-2015 at 02:53 PM..

Old 06-14-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
but there is no free will when someone is threatened with death if they leave that religion, including children who surely do not have free will and are born into the religion:

All four schools of Sunni Islamic law (Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi’i, and Hanbali), as well as the other main schools of Shia Islamic law (al- Ismāʿīliyyūn and Ithnāʿashariyya), unanimously agree that a former Muslim male, also known as an apostate, must be executed. While some hold that an apostate woman should also be executed, the Encyclopedia of Islamic Law: A Compendium of the Major Schools, adapted by Laleh Bakhtiar, states that she should be imprisoned or beaten five times a day until she repents or dies. As far as his children are concerned, after they reach the age of puberty, then if they leave Islam and they do not repent they must be killed

No religion other than Islam kills those who leave it -- probably a sign of lack of confidence in Islam's ability to survive among other religions that do not kill to keep their followers in line.
That's your understanding and knowledge you have chosen to believe.

Quran clearly states death penalty could be implemented only and only on two occasions. I will let you find out what are those two occasions.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:

As Geert Wilders puts it, "Any religion that invites you in but then will not let you out is no longer a religion."
That's Mr. Wilders opinion which he is entitled to have.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:09 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
And here is the profile of a sociopath:

"Sociopaths are masters are presenting themselves as heroes with high morals and philosophy, yet underneath it they are the true criminal minds in society who steal, undermine, deceive, and often incite emotional chaos among entire communities. They are masters at turning one group of people against another group while proclaiming themselves to be the one true savior. Wherever they go, they create strife, argument and hatred, yet they utterly fail to see their own role in creating it. They are delusional at so many levels that their brains defy logical reasoning.

"They are never wrong. They never feel guilt. They can never apologize. Even if shown proof that they were wrong, they will refuse to apologize and instead go on the attack. Sociopaths are incapable of feeling shame, guilt or remorse. Their brains simply lack the circuitry to process such emotions. This allows them to betray people, threaten people or harm people without giving it a second thought. They pursue any action that serves their own self interest even if it seriously harms others.

"Sociopaths are delusional and literally believe that what they say becomes truth merely because they say it. But no matter what fictions are presented by the sociopath, they always present him in the light of a hero -- sometimes even a saint -- who sacrifices his life for the good of others.

"The ultimate destination of a sociopath is to destroy himself and take as many willing victims with him as possible, and thereby prove your worth to your entire cult group. This speaks directly to the mind-altering power of sociopaths. Their delusions can be so convincing that followers will even kill themselves in order to stay in alignment with the expectations of the group.

"The sociopath is a master at invoking spiritual concepts and presenting himself as spiritually evolved."

Old 06-14-2015, 03:35 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,351 times
Quote:
No one should and/or will convince you.

This call comes from within oneself.

It's start with questions that some of us ask ourselves.

"What am I doing on this earth?
Where I came from, and where am I going from here? Who is my creator and what is the purpose of my life?"

If one feels to find the answers to such questions and opens up to the thought that he may need guidance in his life then he starts a quest to know his creator.

And then there is a simple formula.

1 - You start off with the criteria that a religion (no matter which one is it) will be judged by its book.
2 - You start reading and analyzing the text that claims to be holy (no matter what religion but you should try all)
3 - (The key step) While you read thru the versus, you periodically ask yourself a question, "Is it the truth?" - And you honestly let your heart answer it.

If you honestly try to practice this formula with the religious text (all religions) - it will pretty much help you find out what talks to you.

Me or anyone trying to convince you to a certain religion is mostly a fruitless endeavor.
We are given with intelligence that we should use to reach our choices after research with honesty.

In the end, we are responsible for our choices.

Such questions can be answered in a variety of ways, not all of which requires a G()D idea.

Q: What am I doing on this earth?

A: I am living an experience of a human life in which I have a limited level of choice.

Q: Where did I come from?

A: I 'came from' a place in which I have always ever existed. I wanted to know what it would be like to have a beginning and so my kind and I created a way of being able to experience beginnings.

Q: Where am I going from here?

A: This largely depends upon what I manage to find out while I am in this particular simulation of a beginning. My understanding is that I may , at least for a 'time', still be involved in the local area of this reality matrix and perhaps will have a role in helping those aspects of consciousness which have lost their way to reconnect with the greater reality.

Q: Who is my creator?

A: I have no 'creator' as I had no beginning. Simulations involve 'beginnings' and thus do provide us with the ability to conceptualize 'being created' but the reality is that no thing 'created' me really.

Q: What is the purpose of my life?

A: I decide that as I go along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Then all the intimidation and coercion from the evangelicals to convert everyone? What then is with that "go into the world and make disciples of everyone" all about?

Essentially it is about combining the love one has (for their particular idea of G()D) with the love one has for everyone else (including one's self).

If - for example - an idea of G()D compels the believer NOT to love others, essentially this involves a somewhat concealed hatred of ones self, which is directed into the external world.

Quote:
And most importantly, why all the wars, killing, discrimination, HATE, and bigotry in the name of this ONE god?
The question kind of implies that G()D = the reason for all the wars, killing, discrimination, HATE, and bigotry are in the world.

The confusion is obviously in the complexity of two opposing behaviors (malevolent and benevolent) being wrapped up in the idea of One G()D.

The expression of 'Love' and the expression of 'hatred' are understood to be all part of this idea of G()D's total personality.

For me the answer is to simply align with the 'side' which I identify with and learn to express my self into the world from that position alone.

On the surface this may seem a simple enough to do behavior but as can be appreciated, it is not as easy as it sounds.

Quote:
If we all have the choice, why do they bother to convince others and condemn the "non-believer" to an eternal fire where they have wailing and gnashing?
Essentially it is the belief structure which gives this behavior momentum and voice. There is the feeling that one must continually warn others, not necessarily because those others will change their behavior but because not to do so implies one has no care or 'love' for the ones who will go to hell.

One thus risks being told that because they did not warn others, they have not done what they were supposed to do, and of course this would mean being judged to hell yourself.

Redefinition of G()D promotes changes in antiquated belief systems which once were accepted as 'normal' and no one questioned their validity or weighed the concept on the scales of morality. The more love is understood and expressed into the world, the less compliance will be given to such G()D concepts as "A powerful entity who casts people into hell for eternity'.

The notion is pretty silly but it is understandable (not condone-able) that so many people find comfort in the belief that those who done them wrong are going to be punished greatly for doing so. It is a spiteful vindictive nasty belief in which the idea of G()D has been stained with.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:41 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
No religion other than Islam kills those who leave it, a sign of lack of confidence in Islam's ability to survive among other religions that do not kill to keep their followers in line. A sound philosophy never requires violence or threats to retain believers.
Thank you for this witness. Islam is a dangerous religion in the hands of the ignorant and illiterate as demonstrated by the fanatics who dominate the world scene. Relatively few radical fanatics are able to mobilize millions of the ignorant and illiterate to follow them.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:07 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
God has created angles that worship him and do not fight or create trouble between themselves.
I guess that makes them right angles.

Bada-boom!

Old 06-17-2015, 07:32 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I guess that makes them right angles.

Bada-boom!
If they had a hard time understanding God's greatness, they would be obtuse angles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality