Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you date/marry/raise a family with someone not of your faith
Yes 23 50.00%
No 16 34.78%
Date only 7 15.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:59 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times

Advertisements

I figure a fundie or any other type of irritatingly devote person would be obvious enough before serious dating and certainly before the idea of marriage ever had a chance.
Since that should pretty much leave only reasonable prospectives with whom I think it wouldn't be a problem.
In fact I did and it wasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 10:37 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Casually date (were I single)? Sure.

Marry/raise a family? I don't think so. For most definitions of 'religious', that would just be too much divergence between fundamental worldviews for compatibility. But that's me. Some people do make it work, and some of them post here. And I'm not inclined to state that just because it wouldn't work for me, then it can't work for you.

Really, this is something you need to decide for you and based on who you are and what you need - not whether it works or doesn't work for anyone else.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:46 PM

124 posts, read 97,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Casually date (were I single)? Sure.

Marry/raise a family? I don't think so. For most definitions of 'religious', that would just be too much divergence between fundamental worldviews for compatibility. But that's me. Some people do make it work, and some of them post here. And I'm not inclined to state that just because it wouldn't work for me, then it can't work for you.

Really, this is something you need to decide for you and based on who you are and what you need - not whether it works or doesn't work for anyone else.
well said

Old 08-03-2015, 09:40 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
The religion they belong to would not matter. If they were willing to change their views as they learn more, as I am, would be more important.

A fundamentalist of any religion that is unwilling to accept science would never be considered. That would leave out any literal interpreters, young earth people, anti vaccine people, and anti evolution people. I may give it a shot to change them but probably not put in too much effort or waste too much of my time.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:31 AM

392 posts, read 248,222 times
"Would you date/marry/raise a family with someone not of your faith"

Inter-species combination between materialist and theist is ill-advised.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:45 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
I think that when we first got married we were more apathetic about relgion that we were athesists, in fact for awhile I think my wife was looking at Wicca and she still reads a fair amount about it. The advantage that we had was neither of us came from religious families even though we did get married in a church. When my wife told her dad that I was Jewish his commented on that he had served me pork at his house and my wife assurred him that I eat pork (how can one not eat ham or bacon) and he was relieved. That is how religion or lack of it should work out, as long as you can work out the pratical problems such as diet or going to church then the differences in faiths should be workable if you really love each other. When religion is an overpowering part of one's life then perhaps you will need to have someone with either a shared belief or one who does not care at all about religion. But I do not think that religion should be the driving force in one's life. We do not even know if her siblings and their families are religious or not, I do not think mine are but these are not topics that come up.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:11 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
No.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:21 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
I could handle just about any type of faith with the exception of Bible-believing Christianity.

Or I suppose any faith where there is such a strong faith in their holy book. But Christianity is the worst in my opinion.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:56 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
I guess I would be more willing to date a Bible-believer. But ONLY date.

Back when I was a Bible-believer myself and I first started going to church heavily in my young adult years, I first began to hear about the idea (from older couples) that you should only date believers. It sounded so absurd at the time. Maybe marriage, but dating also?

I should have trusted my instincts. I could sense even back then that there was something psychologically wrong with that idea, and with the kind of people who promoted it.

So now, those are the only kinds of people I would tend to avoid.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:20 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
It needs to be compatible, not identical in beliefs and practices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality