Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 08:16 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Katz, there is your answer.
No, it's an answer all right, and it may satisfy you; it doesn't work for me, though. You are assuming that this is the reason most believers don't ever stop believing, but that's nothing more than speculation on your part. If I could come to realize, as a pretty young child, that Santa Claus is just imaginary, I am certainly capable, as an educated and intelligent adult, of doing the same thing with respect to God. And since I don't believe in "unremitting agony" for non-believers, fear is definitely not a motivating factor for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
God - belief is an instinct. I know you don't agree and neither will Katspur, of course. But I'm merely saying what I think - and you know that I have good reasons for thinking it.
If I'm understanding you correctly, I actually agree with you more than you probably realize.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
To me and obviously to you . . . [beliefs in God] are evidence that the compulsion to believe is sourced in the presence and existence of God.
Absolutely. Beautifully stated!

Old 06-16-2015, 08:31 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I believed in the Christian God for the same reason that I believed in Santa Claus: my parents told me he was real. I suspect this is true for a lot of people. But our parents eventually told us that Santa wasn't real (if we hadn't figured that out on our own by then). Not so for God.

So...why do so many adults still believe in God even though they gave up their belief in Santa as children? Isn't believing in God just as silly as believing in Santa? I realize that "God" can mean almost anything, depending on who you ask, but God is usually considered to be a person who can somehow watch over us and reward us / help us if we are "good." Why do so many adults still believe such a thing?
You can't stop blinking for half an hour - doesnt it tell you that someone else has more control on your body than yourself?

Old 06-16-2015, 08:35 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No, it's an answer all right, and it may satisfy you; it doesn't work for me, though. You are assuming that this is the reason most believers don't ever stop believing, but that's nothing more than speculation on your part.
Yes there are any number of deep psychological reasons that people believe in God(s), not just one single reason. That's what this thread is all about. Trout's point was simple: there's a lot of emotion tied up with belief in God, since the stakes are much higher than whether or not one gets gifts on Christmas. I simply agreed with him. I don't know what your personal reasons for belief are, I don't consider it any of my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If I could come to realize, as a pretty young child, that Santa Claus is just imaginary, I am certainly capable, as an educated and intelligent adult, of doing the same thing with respect to God.
I agree.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:44 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
The main reasons I didn't "come out" for so long were fear of disappointing older relatives and lightening insurance. I also think that some older relatives and other people I know or have known absolutely believed with no doubt. I really wanted that to happen to me. I think it would be easier to have faith than doubt. But I am not sure that is true because I can't prove it and I have this affliction that only allows me to believe things if they can be proven.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:36 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
You can't stop blinking for half an hour - doesnt it tell you that someone else has more control on your body than yourself?
Yes - instinct. Encoded, genetic survival reactions.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:16 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So you're saying that God gets his divine kicks by making my hand and fingers involuntarily twitch all the time?

Old 06-16-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yes - instinct. Encoded, genetic survival reactions.
"Encoded" is they keyword here, ain't it?

Old 06-16-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
So you're saying that God gets his divine kicks by making my hand and fingers involuntarily twitch all the time?
No. God has given you control and choice on a significant amount of things - and he did not give you control on certain things. And the biggest of them two are your birth and your exit out of this world - you have no control over both.

If you think you are not subject to certain things and you have full control over everything then try not to blink for half an hour - it will tell you your worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality