Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:17 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,946 times

Advertisements

How passing the plate becomes a 'Sunday morning stickup' - CNN.com

ha! Sunday morning stickup. What an appropriate phrase.

Why do you give 10% to the church?
Is it peer pressure?

When I was in college, I attended a church group for a semester, and my peers were giving money to the church even though they were on student loans and had no jobs.

I gave a few bucks because I ate some of their food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 01:25 AM

689 posts, read 494,405 times
People are very gullible when it comes to giving money to the church. I wonder how many of the extreme Christian pastors take their cut?

Old 06-15-2015, 01:36 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,469 times
I pass the plate onto the next person.

I'm a member, but I don't have any money to spare. The total amount I've dropped in the plate over the past four years is somewhere under $30.

And if I did have money to spare, I would only give it if God prompted me to give it... and if so, in the manner that He prompts me to. Whether that is via the offering plate or through other means is His own affair.

I think the ushers handing out the plates does send the wrong message however

Old 06-15-2015, 03:33 AM

689 posts, read 494,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post

I'm a member, but I don't have any money to spare. The total amount I've dropped in the plate over the past four years is somewhere under $30.

And if I did have money to spare, I would only give it if God prompted me to give it... and if so, in the manner that He prompts me to. Whether that is via the offering plate or through other means is His own affair.

How do you know the deity is prompting you to give?

Old 06-15-2015, 05:40 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
People are very gullible when it comes to giving money to the church. I wonder how many of the extreme Christian pastors take their cut?
What do you mean take their cut? I get a salary from the church but I also donate back to the church. Am I doing this wrong... should I be just helping myself to some of the week's offering? What about e-giving where it just goes into our account? Get a debit card to withdraw my portion?

Old 06-15-2015, 06:37 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
If I were a member of any entity that involved outlays of expenses and subsisted purely on the contributions of it's members and took advantage of all it had to offer, I wouldn't be proud of being a freeloader and would contribute what I could monetarily and/or bodily.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:43 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If I were a member of any entity that involved outlays of expenses and subsisted purely on the contributions of it's members and took advantage of all it had to offer, I wouldn't be proud of being a freeloader and would contribute what I could monetarily and/or bodily.
By freeloader do you mean clergy?

Old 06-15-2015, 06:44 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post

I am not a Christian but this is somewhat shameful.
Take God out of it for second and think about audacity of using the facility but not helping the administration run it.
There is a cost associated with expenses to keep the building up and running. The govt or your taxes don't pay the bills faced by the church.

And nobody is asking you to donate in millions - just one dollar per visit is better than nothing.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:58 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
"Stick up" is an accurate description. "Give us 10% or something terrible might happen to you now or after you die. Remember, God is watching you."

Old 06-15-2015, 07:13 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
For those who love their church, the congregation and community and opportunities for service it offers, it is often difficult to understand the thinking of those who partake but decide not to give an "appropriate" amount. We need to remember that that which serves as the foundation of our own decisions in that regard - the personal decision to give of our time, talent and treasure, whether we feel driven to do so by personal discretion or by some kind of supernatural calling to do so - serves also as the foundation of the way others understand and regard their relationship to the church, and they can build on that foundation reasonable perspectives that justify their non-participation, non-contribution, etc. If we insist on assessing their actions based on our perspectives then there is no defense we could legitimately put forward to defend against condemnation of our actions based on someone else's perspectives.

The are logistical and other rational considerations. If a church doesn't have enough money to pay the mortgage, then it won't survive, for example. If this situation comes about because the church was excessive in its avarice for building a palace for worship, then it deserves to fail. If it is reasonable and non-ostentatious in its expenses and still struggles, then a legitimate argument could be made that it is not doing a good enough job prompting people to contribute money. It is a ridiculously indefensible expectation (which seems to underlie some comments I've read) that people who care to give should be sanguine about the obstinate refusal by others who partake to contribute at least some significant amount of what they can afford. While it is unforgivable for a church to turn away or otherwise relegate those less fortunate who cannot afford to give (money), it is not inappropriate for a church to make financial contribution from those who can afford to do so an expectation. The attitude, "If it is so important to you, why don't you pay for it yourself?" on the part of those who are part of the community, is indefensible and worthy of condemnation. Being part of a community means honorably supporting the best interest of the community alongside one's own personal best interest, not allowing one's own personal best interest trump consideration of the community's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality