U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:36 AM

134 posts, read 368,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
If you are looking for only a biblical answer then post this in the Christianity sub. If you want different points of views from all walks of life then don't just "search more for a biblical perspective".

(HSCCS)An answer to the question is what I am looking for. Not politics, Not bashing, Not comparing. Just an answer. And it is obvious that there are Christians that view this site. You may want to read the rest of the posting. But I understand if you feel that this question isn't applicable to you.

I don't believe people are trying to destroy Christianity, other religions or western culture.

(HSCCS)I respect your oppinion but I wasn't questioning the content of my perspective, I was looking for an answer to it. But thanks anyway.

then I wouldn't vote republican this time..
(HSCCS)A political response does not address the question. but thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
Stop killing them would be a start---- feed them educate them
Third world? One World!
Begin a dialogue
Withdraw support from Israel and force a real peace separate from the force of arms
East and west?
One
people
the children of god
one world/ race suspended?
you tell me?
(hsccs) People that hate have money too. Their status has nothing to do with hate. Hateful people come in all shapes and social status. It's sad for some to think that people that hate are the poor, uneducated, and deprived. I know lots of poor, uneducated, deprived people that don't hate and seek to kill in their situation. I used the eastern religion only as an example based on current new. It was a scenerio.

What if you feed them, educate them and try to force them to have peace and they still want to diminish your existance, then What?

Last edited by HSCCS; 01-22-2008 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-22-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
This is what a lot of us fail to see. If we're going to be Christ-like in dealing with the world, then we need to practice the Golden Rule. We've been imposing ourselves on the peoples of the Middle East for centuries. What if the roles were reversed? What if Muslim crusaders invaded our nations and forced us, under pain of torture and death, to convert to their religion? What if Middle Eastern nations' governments were dictating our laws and redrawing our borders? What if their troops were occupying our lands? We'd be pretty fed up, too, and eventually, we'd want to lash out.

I'm not justifying terrorism. Don't jump to that conclusion. I'm only pointing out that maybe there's a reason they want to destroy us. And maybe we need to examine that more closely. Have we contributed to their hatred? Can we learn to live more in harmony with other people and cultures, rather than tell them what to do and how to live? To me, THAT is what Jesus means by turning the other cheek. Live in peace and harmony, and don't succumb to the will to dominate, harm, and kill. Look at Gandhi ... he was instrumental in gaining independence for India, and he never fired a shot, let alone raise a fist in anger.

I like what Thich Nhat Hanh once said about loving your enemies, as Jesus taught. He said loving your enemies is impossible, because once you love them, they're not your enemies anymore. They're your friends. Good food for thought. It may sound naively optimistic, but where has the alternative of more violence and death gotten us?
But what if you love them and they still want to hurt you (financially, politically, socially, physically, nationally, etc. ?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:58 AM

1,764 posts, read 3,850,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSCCS View Post
There are people and religions that want to destroy Christianity../..as a christian, I don't think that turning the other cheek to someone that wants to destroy you is the answer. What do you think?
I don't think is really a problem...if you have true faith.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:33 PM

[quote=Tim Rankin;2588616]I don't think is really a problem...if you have true faith.[/quote

Lets say you tried that and it didn't work. Let's say they still hate you. Evil is Evil and not compationate sometime or it doesn't take into consideration that you are a nice guy. What do you do?

Old 01-22-2008, 01:16 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,998,440 times
Quote:
(HSCCS)A political response does not address the question. but thanks.

See.. in your original post you asked: "What do you think"

I told you what "I thought". If you don't like "what I thought" then don't ask "What do you think".

See how this works?

Old 01-22-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
There are people and religions that want to destroy Christianity, other religions, the western culture and freedom. When I hear about terrorist, I struggle with a bitter feeling that automatically arises because I , as a christian, dislike the evil that is being done in the name of "GOD." As a christian, I don't think that turning the other cheek to someone that wants to destroy you is the answer. What do you think?
Above is what I am asking about what you think it was specific to turning the other cheek - not what political party is should be voted on, what forum to post my ? ,or didn't ask if there are really people out there that hate that much.

Though I value your various ideas and way of thinking, I was looking for it to be related to the ? and concern I listed - turning the other cheek when someone hates you enough to destroy you. Hope I didn't offend, just clarifying it so it doesn't seem I dismissed you.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:32 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,998,440 times
Quote:
Above is what I am asking about what you think it was specific to turning the other cheek - not what political party is should be voted on, what forum to post my ? ,not asking comparisons on religion and so forth.

Though I value your various ideas and way of thinking, I was looking for it to be related to the ? and concern I listed. Hope I didn't offend.
No offense taken!

#1 Is the question specific to turning the other cheek as it relates to other religions that want to destroy Christianity?

#2 Or is the the question specific to turning the other cheek in general?

If #1 then I don't agree with your summation thus I can't give an answer because I don't agree with your assumption. That is what I thought.

If #2 then you build a case and garner support for your case and then proceed. Never go it alone.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:57 PM

It's very simple - IS TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK THE ANSWER TO DEALING WITH PEOPLE WHO HATE YOU AND WANT TO DESTROY YOU? AS A CHRISTIAN THAT IS WHAT IS EXPECTED, BUT SHOULD WE? Is this helpful?

You may want to reference other postings. Seems they hit the nail right on the head.
Sorry for the confussion.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:00 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,648,902 times
Firstly there are no other religions that seek to destroy christians, this is an invention to make yourself feel persecuted. There are some sick fringe people who claim to be members of certain groups that hate and have killed to show their hatred. There are however not representative of the entire group.

Think about it this way.

How about christian terrorism, like the people who kill doctors who perform abortions, or blow up abortion clinics. Those people CLAIM to be christians. BUT sensible people say they really weren't christian, they were extremists.

The same is true of the muslim fundamentalists who have caused so much harm and pain. I know many muslims who are shocked and dismayed at their actions and disgust that they do it in Allah's name. They too say these people do not really represent muslims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality