Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 05:56 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,783,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Slavery was not just in the South. It was all over the US. Different forms of slavery still exits today in the US and all over the world.

All that you posted is proof that humans today are much more intellectually and morally evolved than they were 2000 years ago. We still have a long ways to go but we are certainly better than back in those days.

I can't imagine living life as a woman or a non-believer 2000 years ago. Thankfully we are out of those dark days of human consciousness in most places on planet earth. Sadly some places on this planet still practice this dark consciousness.

There is hardly a comparison to the way humans thought 2000 years ago with respect compared to today.

Geez just think the Nazi era only existed just 70 years ago.
I don't think I posted any such proof. I think evolution takes more than a couple of generations to make a change as significant as cognitive improvement. You keep pointing out bad ideas that haven't gone away as proof we are smarter. I don't follow that logic. Maybe I need to evolve further...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 06:16 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,216,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
I don't think I posted any such proof. I think evolution takes more than a couple of generations to make a change as significant as cognitive improvement. You keep pointing out bad ideas that haven't gone away as proof we are smarter. I don't follow that logic. Maybe I need to evolve further...
No I am not doing that.

I am saying that we are clearly more intellectually advanced than we were 2000 years ago....

Do your realize that the Industrial Revolution started just 225 years ago?

Or that the light bulb was not invented until 136 years ago? How about the first man on the moon...only 46 years ago.

They could not even conceive of doing these things 2000 years ago.

Not sure about you needing to evolve more but you certainly need to be able to look at what we have achieved in the past 225 years vs. what humans were achieving 2000 years ago.

I bet you would not have wanted to undergo brain surgery 2000 years ago

Old 06-19-2015, 06:40 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,497,199 times
we have more data. we are not more human. it's just a simple fact. Take a normal child 5000 years ago and you can raise him today and he would be normal. Take a smart kid 5000 years ago and raise him today and he would be a smart kind.

***edir*** add.

The rate of change increase has to do more with more people, resources, and time than changes to our bodies and brains. I mean Egyptians and south American societies were pretty advanced too.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
No I am not doing that.

I am saying that we are clearly more intellectually advanced than we were 2000 years ago....

Do your realize that the Industrial Revolution started just 225 years ago?

Or that the light bulb was not invented until 136 years ago? How about the first man on the moon...only 46 years ago.

They could not even conceive of doing these things 2000 years ago.

Not sure about you needing to evolve more but you certainly need to be able to look at what we have achieved in the past 225 years vs. what humans were achieving 2000 years ago.

I bet you would not have wanted to undergo brain surgery 2000 years ago
My point is that if you were able to magically transport 100 newborns from 2000 or even 10000 years ago to the present they could learn just as much as modern newborns. Some of them could become brain surgeons.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
My point is that if you were able to magically transport 100 newborns from 2000 or even 10000 years ago to the present they could learn just as much as modern newborns. Some of them could become brain surgeons.
And do you know why this would be?...I know you found this in the news as I have also heard this in the news as well.

But let's apply logic here.

Why didn't humans 2000 years ago or even 10,000 years ago invent the light bulb? Or put a man on the moon? Create pharmaceutical grade antibiotics? Create cutting edge technology? Invent a telephone or cell phone? Invent a plane or car? Discover DNA or ways to discover it?

Old 06-19-2015, 07:13 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,497,199 times
the historical context. Like when the printing press arrived what it did for us. technology drove invention. once we went from water to steam, to electricity the number of experiments rose. One name ... Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci. You should look into the history of science. A series called "connections" really does a nice job showing how new inventions were like "hormones" in they produced rapid change. lastly. I am seriously doubting your degree. we are not that different from 3000 years ago in terms of physiology. Our brains are basically the same. Again, you posted a lot on evolution but I don't think you did anything but regurgitate the stuff. You mite wanna go actually check it out.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 06-19-2015 at 07:29 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
wow. you really do not know the historical context do. Like when the printing press arrived what it did for us.
Has nothing to do with any points in this post. Nada

So 575 years ago the printing press was invented but yet we still did not invent the light bulb until 439 years after the printing press!

And your point is?

How do you account as to why the Industrial Revolution did not start 10,000 or even 2000 years ago?

But only 225 years ago?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:23 PM

There were a bunch of advancements - discoveries and inventions - that had to take place sequentially. And we were not constantly trying to advance. Sometimes we just tried to survive. Man didn't get a boost in mental capacity with each discovery. Man just used more of the already present capacity with each discovery.
I haven't heard anything recent in the news about this. Bit sure what you are referring to.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:42 PM

63,470 posts, read 39,755,133 times
Quote:
The nuances of gene theory, the extreme complexity of the unfolding of the nervous system compared to skeletal features and the heritability of epigenetics makes your assertion far less certain than you seem to think.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
There were a bunch of advancements - discoveries and inventions - that had to take place sequentially. And we were not constantly trying to advance. Sometimes we just tried to survive. Man didn't get a boost in mental capacity with each discovery. Man just used more of the already present capacity with each discovery.
I haven't heard anything recent in the news about this. Bit sure what you are referring to.
Quote:
Over the past 100 years, Americans' mean IQ has been on a slow but steady climb. Between 1900 and 2012, it rose nearly 30 points, which means that the average person of 2012 had a higher IQ than 95 percent of the population had in 1900.
http://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/03/smarter.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality