Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 05:48 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Ozzy, when will you stop trying to score cheap points by telling lies about us. The generality of deconversions I've read have Not been about bad Experiences but about trying to convince themselves the religion makes sense, and finding it doesn't. This evidently happened to you as you avoid trying to validate the actual religion but are trying to make the most of First cause apiologetic and 'We need religion, true or not' and by the favoured alternative - attacking atheism, like that somehow made theism true.
lamo, talk about dishonesty. lmao, right.

there is no need of a first cause past we are here. That's a fact. after that, its clearly more valid to claim we are surrounded by a system of life and connected to it at the most fundamental leaveles. Your stance on that is less valid and you deploy dishonest tactics in trying to dismiss it.

how many times do you have to deploy the dishonest tactic of using the "apologetic" like it disproves anything. It is intellectually dishonest approach used to try and and deceive people. "apologetic" doesn't disprove a thing and is only use to knock people off balance. Its basically a lie.

its not atheism that is less valid trans, its your deny everything so that theist can't use it and make your atheism harder to sell. You are as fear ridden as any fundy theist I know.

keep shunning, you know facing it straight up is just another loss for you. Its why your sect of atheism will always be outnumbered by people that believe in something. lmao at "our side", that is just too funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
It's possible. There's no way of knowing regardless.
No, actually, the Bible makes it quite clear it started as a cult.

All one has to do is look at the things Jesus said had to be done if you wanted to be his disciple.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:00 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
In my experience, a cult is revered on City-Data, true religion is mocked.
I can't think of a single religious group that is "revered" on City-Data, but I do see people who think they alone know what "true religion" is.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:42 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
No, actually, the Bible makes it quite clear it started as a cult.
All one has to do is look at the things Jesus said had to be done if you wanted to be his disciple.
Would that be: Love God and each other every day and repent when you don't? That is what was repeated many, many, many, times as opposed to the relatively few instances that formed the "precepts and doctrines of men" that permeate the dogma of Christianity.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:44 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
how do you differentiate between a cult and a religion? between cult thinking and spiritual guidance? between a cult leader and a helpful presence? how does a person stay safe and discern between these?

This came up on another thread, and bears exploring.

thank you everyone for your insights and contributions
one has more letters in the name than the other?

Old 11-27-2018, 12:00 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
That would certainly explain a mysterious difference between "Chips" and "French Fries" which I had never figured out.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:41 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That would certainly explain a mysterious difference between "Chips" and "French Fries" which I had never figured out.
And crisps and potatoe chips...

Old 11-27-2018, 12:51 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
And crisps and potatoe chips...
Yes. In my alternate universe north of the 49th, they have these wonderful parked vehicles called "chip trucks" that sell French fries in summer, and I can't for the life of me understand why they aren't on every corner in New Jersey.

But unlike the UK, they call potato chips potato chips and not crisps.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:22 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
A cult seeks to isolate members from family and friends and those who think differently. A legitimate religion doesn't do that. A religion is voluntary, you can come and go as you please, invest as much or little time and money into it as you wish. A cult seeks to dominate your time and money.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:56 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes. In my alternate universe north of the 49th, they have these wonderful parked vehicles called "chip trucks" that sell French fries in summer, and I can't for the life of me understand why they aren't on every corner in New Jersey.

But unlike the UK, they call potato chips potato chips and not crisps.
That's because Canada, unlike parts of the UK does not have Haggis and Whisky flavour crisps. I was going to buy a pack but tried some other flavour instead and never found them again. We actually took photos of some of the weird flavors of crisps.

It's been decades since I had a short term job with an anti cult organization. Cults can turn into a religion with longevity and a growth in membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality