Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:13 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times

Advertisements

I actually have a degree in comparative religion and this was brought up a few times.

First, a cult is NOT just a small religion. Wicca is a smaller religion, but it is less cult-like than most political parties (one is expected to write their own holy book [book of shadows] one is free to worship whatever divinity they want to, be their own priestess or priest and can live cradle to grave without even meeting another Wiccan why being a fantastic Wiccan themselves)

A cult is based on control by a central charismatic authority, away from which the end goals of the belief system are impossible to achieve, and a central authority that is unquestioned. Catholics talk smack about the Pope all the time, but they are still considered Catholics. Cults also control the lives of their members beyond spiritual matters, interfering with their personal lives, having the central authority invade their personal life etc. Never heard of the Methodists sending agents to read their congregants mail...

There actually is a cult checklist right here that makes sense:

Cults 101: Checklist of Cult Characteristics

And this youtube video also brings up another important part about cults: indoctrination. Unlike religions, cults usually don't tell potential members everything up front. One can go to any mosque and ask about the Miracle of the Koran or Mohammad's donkey, and the Imam will answer. No church hides the virgin birth. Cults tend to hide things, including their structure...I have yet to hear the Catholics not answer questions about the Pope or college of cardinals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBK5aKOr2Fw

And keep in mind a cult does not have to be religious. Lyndon Larouche is basically a cult leader, and his cult is purely political.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod has all 6 of those characteristics.

What's your take, Pleroo?

I guarantee you I could say the same thing about the Richard Dawkins foundation.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Ultimately, any belief system which urges the abandonment of rational thought is a cult by my definition.

That is completely false. Psychologist often tell people to put reason down and experience emotions, is modern psychology a cult?

Rational thought is just one way of thinking, and modern science understand its limits:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectualization

So, is modern science a cult?

And existentialism often slams rationalism...is existentialism a cult?

Old 06-22-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
A religion is a cult which has gained political backing.

So Wiccans have politicians behind them?

Old 06-22-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Can't we skip spirituality and go straight to rationality?

While we're at it why not skip emotion and go straight to reason, and say "good-bye" to everything but that which serves a utilitarian purpose. Skip art, and go straight to engineering. Skip music and go straight to mathematics. Tear down every painting and replace them with posters of the periodic table of the elements or charts of the molecular structure of swamp gas.

Spirituality is fun, reason is not. Hence I like spirituality.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
Longevity.
No one considers Wiccans to be a cult. They started in the 1930s or 50s.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:37 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
There actually is a cult checklist right here that makes sense:

Cults 101: Checklist of Cult Characteristics
Thanks, that list does make a lot of sense. It is also uncomfortable, because while I don't feel like I escaped a cult, a lot of that applied at least to a certain extent to the religious environments I grew up in. I found myself making excuses for things ( like, "Well, we were guilted into stuff, but it wasn't THAT bad, was it?") that surrounded me, but it was a little creepy reading that list... I felt like my upbringing was mainstream fundamentalist, but there were a lot of boxes that I could tick off or at least give 'em a 5 out of 10...

-NoCapo

Old 06-22-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Thanks, that list does make a lot of sense. It is also uncomfortable, because while I don't feel like I escaped a cult, a lot of that applied at least to a certain extent to the religious environments I grew up in. I found myself making excuses for things ( like, "Well, we were guilted into stuff, but it wasn't THAT bad, was it?") that surrounded me, but it was a little creepy reading that list... I felt like my upbringing was mainstream fundamentalist, but there were a lot of boxes that I could tick off or at least give 'em a 5 out of 10...

-NoCapo

I think it isn't really a matter of "this is a cult, and this isn't" as much as it is a spectrum of "cultdom", with Wiccans and Deists on one end and Heaven's Gate on the other. Catholics are more cult like than Methodists, and Mormons are more cult like than Catholics, and the Brethren are more cult like than Mormons.

And within religions there are cults and not-cults. Both the Branch Davidians and the United Church of Christ are Christians, but one was a cult and one certainly isn't.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:59 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
So Wiccans have politicians behind them?
No, which is why they are still a cult.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:19 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Quote:
I think it isn't really a matter of "this is a cult, and this isn't" as much as it is a spectrum of "cultdom", with Wiccans and Deists on one end and Heaven's Gate on the other. Catholics are more cult like than Methodists, and Mormons are more cult like than Catholics, and the Brethren are more cult like than Mormons.

And within religions there are cults and not-cults. Both the Branch Davidians and the United Church of Christ are Christians, but one was a cult and one certainly isn't.
I get the spectrum thing, it was just a bit unsettling how many of those tickboxes my upbringing covered. Looking from the outside in, my experience was much further down the spectrum than I thought it would have been. But I guess that is part of the nature of the beast, you assume that the insulated, rarified world you live in is normal...

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality