Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 03:28 AM

131 posts, read 312,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
It is possible to live life without religion, but it is impossible to live life without faith.
People who are deeply depressed live life without faith or hope, but they mostly won't last long.
I'm not deeply depressed, I have just come to terms with the fact life is pointless and when i die i am dead. the end, no heaven/reincarnation etc. So i just live. Well mostly i supose i just exist, adrenaline makes me feel alive tho. So my life will be fufilled by scaring the sh*t out of myself basicly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 03:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Racket, extreme sports are good for that phase in life.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:19 PM

131 posts, read 312,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Racket, extreme sports are good for that phase in life.
yeah cheers. i want to go sky diving. And I would love to be an F1 driver but apparently Im too late as most start at about 8 in go-karting championships

Old 01-26-2008, 01:27 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,653,800 times
I've been reading this and it's an interesting subject and I would like to offer my opinion to your question as to whether it is possible to live life without a Religion? I would say yes it is possible, however I would also say it is impossible to live without a belief, now this may seem strange and especially to those who are atheists, but even an atheist has a belief, and his belief is that there is no God and in my opinion that constitutes a belief not a religion. Just something to think about.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:18 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
To extrapolate, I believe that my car will start in the morning, my rice cooker will cook rice.

Yep, that's enough for me to get by on.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,026 times
All humans posit "faith" in ideas they cannot empirically prove. Empiricism is but one system of perception. Empiricism alone can only take one so far. Rationalism can only take one so far. Further, empiricism and rationalism are colored by the preconceptions one has bought into. The idea of honest "objectivity" is a complete myth.

One cannot live without a worldview, without a "religion"--even those who vociferously and emotively argue that they are not "religious". They assuredly are.

At the core of every system by which man lives stand a set of unproven, empirically-un-provable assumptions that permit the system to move forward.

These assumptions are clung to by faith.

How is it that some hold that chance + huge chunks of time + "matter" (that somehow just existed...) = you and me, is an enormous, gigantic assumption that requires blind faith of a most daunting, and "religious" quality.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:09 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,617,514 times
sisyphus89 wrote:
Quote:
Many traditional religion can be "Religion" but also political ideology like Marxism can be "Religion".
I agree with GCSTroop that your definition of religion is off the mark. Religion is generally recognized as a belief in a god of some kind and involves various supernatural beliefs, depending on the religion. In that sense I live everyday without religion and my philosophical and ethical viewpoints would fall into the category of humanism. Marxism or any political or social ideology is not religion. Your definition of the word religion is just too broad.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:34 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,433,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus89 View Post
What I meant by "Religion" is any ideology or dogma which guides the life of individual beyond the day to day struggle for the survival.
Many traditional religion can be "Religion" but also political ideology like Marxism can be "Religion".
I guess these days fighting against global warming might be "Religion" for many people.
I know many people just live the life without the reflection but people with power and money usually have enough resources and freedom for the reflection on life. I cannot see how after reflection on the life people can accept the hard and cold reality without any hope for finding meaning in their lives.

So my question to you all is if it is possible to live a life without a "Religion".
Imho it is possible, but at least in my case, it would make life pretty dull and boring, too "real"

Religion at least to me is what adds that magic to life, that makes it beautiful and interesting, then I stop thinking about this life as reality, and taking it too seriously, I just know that I'm living the dreams of God, and I let it flow, I let him take me wherever he wants, and I stay tuned by thinking in him, and having him in my heart, trying to do good, think good, act good, feel good, speak good and love unconditionally.

I'm human and I have human limitations and ego just like everybody else, but God's perfect and God's unlimited so I just let him lead my life, that way nothing can go wrong, even if I make small mistakes, they will be forgiven and will be part of those tiny imperfections in life that make it perfect.

For me at least, life without religion would be possible, but very sad and depressing, full of insecurities, struggles, evil and dangers, without any higher power to help me overcome them

Religion in this case for me would be the bond with God and my gurus, without that bond, that friendship, that love, my life would be empty

नमस्त - Namaste

Old 01-27-2008, 03:11 PM

245 posts, read 625,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Mythology Buster View Post
All humans posit "faith" in ideas they cannot empirically prove. Empiricism is but one system of perception. Empiricism alone can only take one so far. Rationalism can only take one so far. Further, empiricism and rationalism are colored by the preconceptions one has bought into. The idea of honest "objectivity" is a complete myth.

One cannot live without a worldview, without a "religion"--even those who vociferously and emotively argue that they are not "religious". They assuredly are.

At the core of every system by which man lives stand a set of unproven, empirically-un-provable assumptions that permit the system to move forward.

How is it that some hold that chance + huge chunks of time + "matter" (that somehow just existed...) = you and me, is an enormous, gigantic assumption that requires blind faith of a most daunting, and "religious" quality.
these ideas are absolutly not "clung to" they are simply the most rational explination suported by the evidence at hand, when the evidence changes so will the ideas. without this mind set we would all still be sitting around naked worshiping fire. come to think of it that sounds like fun weekend

Old 01-27-2008, 06:32 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,217 times
Lack of religon seems to work for Warren Buffett and Bill Gates. Of course we all have hopes, principles, morals, etc. No need for any of these things to have any supernatural quality. I try to become a better person every day. I don't have to judge myself against a mythical heroic figure to determine what that is- I create the measurement myself- be kind to others (particularly wife/children), make community a better place, learn as much about humanity/the universe as I can without going beserk, etc. Most of the time I do not meet my own standards, but i'm happy. If I ever get depressed (which I almost never do) I go to the beach for a walk, go surfing, go for a jog, go skiing, read a good book etc. Next thing I know, I'm in a good mood. Avoiding self-absorption and/or feeling like a victim is the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality