Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 11:15 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times

Advertisements

YEC paleontologist with a YEC museum has to sell a skull at auction to save his museum. Official listing at the auction states:

"Distinct also from its European cousin, the Mammut borsoni, the American mastodon lived throughout North America, from Alaska to Central Mexico, in the Pleistocene epoch, and is generally believed to have become extinct about 10,000 years ago"

So.. as a YEC you believe the earth is 6,000 years old.. and you sell a skull listed as being about 10,000 years old.

Sale of the Skull.. $191,200
Selling something that violates the very nature of your "museum".. priceless

There are some things money can't buy.. irony is one of them.

Skull is sold for big gain | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas-Fort Worth News | Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-auction_21met.1.ART0.State.Edition2.37376f8.html - broken link)

Dinosauria: American, SPECTACULAR, IMPORTANT AND UNIQUE SKULL - THE FOUR-TUSKED "LONE STAR" MASTODON . ... (Total: 1 Items)

and

Mr. Taylor's website:

Mt. Blanco Fossil Museum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:59 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
That's one BIG skull.

Do you happen to have a link to a picture?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:15 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
So.. as a YEC you believe the earth is 6,000 years old.. and you sell a skull listed as being about 10,000 years old.

Sale of the Skull.. $191,200
Selling something that violates the very nature of your "museum".. priceless

There are some things money can't buy.. irony is one of them.
Ironic but not surprising. It is actually a win/win scenario for a YEC paleontologist.

1) You make a bunch of $$ on something that you believe has inflated value.
2) You feel validation of your YEC beliefs because God has provided you with a way to keep your museum open and promote the truth.

All of this because some misguided professional paleontologists or their benefactors are willing to part with their $$ because of a lie. How appropriate!

Old 01-22-2008, 11:36 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
"Distinct also from its European cousin, the Mammut borsoni, the American mastodon lived throughout North America, from Alaska to Central Mexico, in the Pleistocene epoch, and is generally believed to have become extinct about 10,000 years ago"

I dunno, a couple things jump right out at me here.

1. Just because you are a YEC doesn't mean it's 6000 years or nothing. There are YEC's out there who don't pin it down to 6K years but don't believe "billions" either. So unless Joe Taylor said "The earth is 6000 years old" you can't say he's being contradictory...but if he did, it brings me to point 2.

2. Who says they are the ones brokering the skull? Perhaps it's a secular outfit doing so or the person who wrote the description simply stated what many in the secular world believe about the skull.

Just sharing a couple points that came to mind before we crucify Mr Taylor.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I dunno, a couple things jump right out at me here.

1. Just because you are a YEC doesn't mean it's 6000 years or nothing. There are YEC's out there who don't pin it down to 6K years but don't believe "billions" either. So unless Joe Taylor said "The earth is 6000 years old" you can't say he's being contradictory...but if he did, it brings me to point 2.

2. Who says they are the ones brokering the skull? Perhaps it's a secular outfit doing so or the person who wrote the description simply stated what many in the secular world believe about the skull.

Just sharing a couple points that came to mind before we crucify Mr Taylor.
I saw a quote where he believes it is 7,000 years old. I'll try to find it..

He isn't brokering the skull. Its funny to me that the money received is from a brokerage firm who wrote the description that it is 10,000 years old. I'm fairly positive he saw the description before it went on the block.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:34 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
"generally believed"

Old 01-22-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
"generally believed"

Touche.. "Generally Believed"

Old 01-23-2008, 02:55 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Quote:
As a Christian, I know the earth is billions of years old, God created it with the universe, but if you look at the scriptures in the Book of Genesis, they mention that the "the earth was a cold and dark void", which confirms what scientists believe that a catastrophic event hit the earth and caused the earth to go dark and cold and killed nearly all life on it. But, we also believe that God decided to bring life back to earth when he created Adam and Eve about 10,000 years ago. Now remember, this is Old Testament scripture, and God was referring to "His People" from Adam and Eve, their descendants, up until the days of Noah and his family, when God flooded the earth. Evidence of the catastrophic flood over 6000 years ago can be found all over the earth. Life was brought back to earth with Noah's sons, Hem, Shem, and Jappeth, and their wives, along with the animals they carried on the ark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality