Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:20 PM

310 posts, read 1,196,709 times

Advertisements

"The Bible says that "the fool has said in his heart there is no God."

Is that an "attack" on atheists? People don't take too kindly to being called fools, you know. They might start threads questioning this God causing people's intelligence to feel insulted. And why is that cry is always on the side of the believers?"

I thought atheists came to be because of religion. If religion believing in God never existed than neither would the atheists. So the phrase "the fool has said in his heart there is no God" wasn't at the time written for an atheists I thought because atheists weren't yet to be. Or am I wrong? To me it doesn't seem like the phrase was personally attacking an atheists but anyone in general who doesn't believe God in his heart.Thanks for everyones input. EW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 04:28 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
As a Christian who believes faith and reason are not mutually exclusive, I can benefit by many of the atheists articulate arguments.
Although I'm not sure the atheists could claim the same benefit from my discussions of faith.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:42 PM

Thats a very intelligent statement Oakback, and also a very true statement. EW

Old 01-22-2008, 04:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
I came from another site where atheists seem to rule there although it was a Christian forum. Why do some atheists have a mind set to try to crumble one's beliefs. If they don't believe in God more power to them, but why visit religious sites and talk trash? EW
Why 'trash"?
Here's the link of many quotes, some from famous historical figures:
www.supermelf.com/random/quotes.html
There are so many that all are arranged by alphabet.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:58 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
I think the exchange of ideas between atheists and religious people is very interesting on this forum and I've read some great posts from both sides. It doesn't have to be an us versus them thing and after you've been here awhile you can start to appreciate the views of those who don't believe in the same things that you do but their thoughts can be enlightening.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:24 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
"The Bible says that "the fool has said in his heart there is no God."

Is that an "attack" on atheists? People don't take too kindly to being called fools, you know. They might start threads questioning this God causing people's intelligence to feel insulted. And why is that cry is always on the side of the believers?"

I thought atheists came to be because of religion. If religion believing in God never existed than neither would the atheists. So the phrase "the fool has said in his heart there is no God" wasn't at the time written for an atheists I thought because atheists weren't yet to be. Or am I wrong? To me it doesn't seem like the phrase was personally attacking an atheists but anyone in general who doesn't believe God in his heart.Thanks for everyones input. EW
I did not become an atheist because of religion. Yes, along the way religion didn't help much but the whole idea of God's, fairies, elves, leprechauns, and chubacabra's just never seemed to fit in my mind. It never made sense and still doesn't. I did believe in a God at one time but I had always questioned his existence. To say I was a devout believer would be unfair, but I had always assumed he was there because everyone else did. I did question the thought in my mind but I kept it to myself for fear that I might be "weird" or that this very God might be listening to my thoughts. It was then that I realized how awful I felt with this invisible security camera in the sky watching not only every move but every thought! It was like 1984. I decided that either God did not exist or that if he did I wanted no part in his voyeuristic ways. Either way, as far as I'm concerned, religion was just a way to help me get rid of God. The mere logic that precluded that was how I ultimately killed him. I'm glad I did. And I'm waiting with wooden stake in hand in case he rears his ugly head again.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:59 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Quote:
I came from another site where atheists seem to rule there although it was a Christian forum. Why do some atheists have a mind set to try to crumble one's beliefs. If they don't believe in God more power to them, but why visit religious sites and talk trash? EW
Look, there's a very simple answer to your question.

Every mindset has their share of a-holes. Christians have the like of Fred Phelps, and most of you want nothing to do with his ilk.

Atheists who just show up to trash someone else are our version of Fred Phelps and we don't claim them. I'm sure not every Christian wants to be thought of in the same light as a FP type Christian do they? So don't paint all atheists with the same brush as those jerks who just want to trash people.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:13 PM

"If one cannot handle the intellectual engagement and are threatened by others' requests to explain one's faith, then that person probably wasn't very faithful in the first place. Athiests aren't necessarily around to trash beliefs but simply state why they don't believe in the same things and are often asking to see other perspectives (hopefully one that they have not considered) to the picture. Perhaps some are searching for faith but each time it runs into a logical deadend. "

This is an excellent answer, thank you. I like how you were direct and didn't try to make me answer a question with my question or throw something more into it.

"Atheists who just show up to trash someone else are our version of Fred Phelps and we don't claim them. I'm sure not every Christian wants to be thought of in the same light as a FP type Christian do they? So don't paint all atheists with the same brush as those jerks who just want to trash people."

I clearly said "some" atheists. I wasn't painting anything.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:18 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
There are plenty of "god ideas" out there that can use a deflating. Talking about God is too important to allow just any old idea to keep on ticking.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:19 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Well firstly something you should realize is City Data isn't a religious site, it has that section you might note that the name of it is Religion and Philosophy.

Christians attack non believers on a daily basis, you intrude into our lives and do everything you can to save our lives. To be frank with you, if there is a heaven someday and its going to be full of nosey, holier then thou type christians, give me hell anyday.

I personally don't care what you believe. I have no desire to try and get you to think what I do. I just want christians to leave me alone. I have heard it all, I have rejected it, so find someone else to sell your line of goods to. I do not attack a god that I don't even believe exists to begin with. Its the idiots on the earth running about like chickens with their heads cut off that I attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality