Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 10:20 PM

260 posts, read 229,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
LOL, I'm the crazy one??

I can't tell you the number of christians think just that, that we use atheism to justify ammoral behavior. Nothing could be further from the truth.
Yes, I've heard I turned my back on the Christian faith because I wanted to run buck wild on South Beach. I've been in Florida for 20 years and been to South Beach less than 5 times and it's just a half hour away.

Come to think of it, I need to pay that place a visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 10:42 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,379,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
Yes, I've heard I turned my back on the Christian faith because I wanted to run buck wild on South Beach. I've been in Florida for 20 years and been to South Beach less than 5 times and it's just a half hour away.

Come to think of it, I need to pay that place a visit.
Well no one has actually accused me of that YET.
Buck wild or buck naked?

I just want peace and quiet. I don't want to be harassed about where I am supposed to be on Sunday or Saturday morning. I want to do things by my own judgement, not by someone elses.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 PM

739 posts, read 2,180,930 times
Atheists do not attack god. There is no god, nothing there to attack.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:25 PM

260 posts, read 229,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
Atheists do not attack god. There is no god, nothing there to attack.
You attack the Christian's belief, they equate that with attacking their god, imagined or imagined. I can understand that.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:34 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,379,305 times
Quote:
You attack the Christian's belief, they equate that with attacking their god, imagined or imagined. I can understand that.
Seems sort of self absorbed and entitled too me since they do the same to us on a regular basis.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,232,672 times
Quote:
I do not attack that which I do not believe.
I do respond to people telling me what I believe or why I should believe what they do. What gall!

There are some christians on CD that I would be proud to know in person.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:51 AM

131 posts, read 312,475 times
I think athiests say what they say and do what they do because to them, religion is the most stupid thing thinkable. To them it is like somebody telling them the moon is made of darylee cheese and if a group of people where talking about that, absolutely convinsed they were correct then people who didn't think that (obviously as it is ridiculous (which is what atheists think of religion)) would want to tell the deluded (as athiests may think) people that they are incorrect.
I am an athiest myself. And although I have no problem in people believing what they want I do however have a problem with the people who stand in town centers shouting about there religion and I do not agree with it being taught in schools.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:51 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,586,828 times
To attack god, one would have to acknowledge its existence which Atheists do not.

This is a discussion, a forum where exchanges of ideas are encouraged ( some heated arguments yes) . I could point out at plenty of posts from Christians attacking Atheists ( telling them they are going to hell, they have no morals, telling us they feel sorry for us). Are we really supposed to let those comments passed unchallenged ?

Religion and Philosophy both do benefit from having a healthy intellectual exchange of precepts, beliefs, ideas, and points of view.
Never being able to challenge other's perceptions of the world would be sad , and really quite boring.

Most of us do find those stimulating, informative, sometimes infuriating and shocking but mostly positive.

Are we really implying that people should keep quiet and just button up because it makes some uncomfortable ? Life is one great big exchange of ideas with other fellow human beings and though we may often disagree, it does not take away our right to express our differences.

As long as we are not crude, vulgar and positively offensive I would say this should be regarded as a triumph of free expression.

I do tend to find the Christians just as patronising and "offensive" as the Atheists. I don't think one side has the monopoly over tolerance or reason.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 AM

51 posts, read 133,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And I see this the opposite way. Please show me where atheists are name-calling christians on this forum. I do see it the other way sometimes.
Look at the post directly above the one I am quoting (#15).

Old 01-23-2008, 09:21 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,586,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
I don't have a problem with god. What I have a problem with is someone trying to cram their religion down my throat. It is so arrogant that someone else, especially someone who doesn't even know me (!!!) can claim to know what is "best for me." That is just plain disrespectful, arrogant, and condescending. Also not good manners because it's not their business.
I absolutely agree. I was actually a lot more tolerant of religion until I came to this forum actually and met some more fundamentalist and extreme people.I am constantly surprised at the virulence that SOME ( NOT ALL) people exhibit against Atheists.

As far as I'm concerned people are free to worship turnips or shoes if they wish to. As long as people's religion is not crammed down my throat, that I am not preached at and threatened with the fiery pits of hell for being an Atheist, I really have no problem with it at all.

It will always bemuse me and yes even sometimes even seem ridiculous to me ( as my atheism will be to other people) but if it makes people happy, bring them comfort and they have no intention or power to legislate their beliefs and impose it on others then I just see it as the rich tapestry of life and what makes us all interesting and unique in our special way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality