U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:34 AM

310 posts, read 797,197 times

Advertisements

"I first came to CD because my interest was in the living in the other areas of the country. Then I scrolled down and I found this forum and I thought cool. I get to read other's ideas. I posted a testimony and it was well received and so I stuck around a bit more. However, baffled by all the "negative feed back" derived to just about anyone posting a thought a comment and please no personal experience with God aloud unless you want to hear, "well that just isn't so". Or why do you think that is so...so on and so forth, to the point were one goes, why did I even bother sharing a thought."

"There is just too much bickering going on for my taste. Just to much..."

"Enjoy your...postings? your stay, your... People attacking people...they do it very well. "

Thats to bad it has to be that way. I understand where your coming from totally. Some people can be quite tricky in their ways to. I have had them first rip your question apart(usually by quoting something you said) then asking you a question that steers the topic away. When that don't work they will often say something like "You need to have better questions than that if you want to be on this site,"or "I have been here longer than you." Some of the non-believers best tools are creative sentence structure, they will make few, if any typing errors including punctuation for good reason. Then if the steering away doesn't work they can point out your mistakes. Its kinda funny to because if you search the web you will find a site that explains 11 popular questions a religious man might ask an atheists and 11 answers the atheists should give. All the answers are to discredit God and not to find a common ground. On the religious site I came from there was a guy there with the screen name nogodplease and always claimed he wasn't there to discredit religion but he always did. He cloaked himself well however, he claimed he wanted to learn but it would be impossible for him to learn because he was always busy smearing mud in your face. If there is a reason that atheists have to try to convert you over, they keep it quiet. The nice thing is if they always use that approach they will never destroy any religion because who wants to be treated that way? This is meant to the atheists who do this not the atheists that don't care what I believe. And yes religious people do it to. And they also get written off as well. Anyone that tries to discredit ones beliefs or non-beliefs is a joke. Debating is one thing.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 AM

629 posts, read 706,169 times
Maybe atheists wonder why God has chosen to 'speak' to certain individuals, but not them? Maybe they are trying to understand, what it is when God speaks to someone, to make rational sense of why that person believes so strongly that God communicates with them personally and answers their prayers?

I have come to the position of agnostic, through praying to God for many years and having no answer, being allowed to be an ardent follower of what turned out to be a false religion, and never ever having a feeling, conviction or experiencing a revelation from God so that I could have implicit faith in his existence.

I find sometimes that the Christian stance is condescending and patronising, whether or not it is meant, that they are the elite, they have this special thing, and the reason why I havent is because I am flawed in some major way, otherwise I would 'get it' too.
I suppose I visit these forums to cement my present views, to validate my position...although I really dont think I 'need' to do that nowadays. Lol..maybe that means I do! The more I read of what religious people believe and particularly 'why' they believe, the more convinced I am that I have chosen the right path to follow. I would not even know where to begin my search for a God given truth, as I am overwhelmed by the number of different Christian beliefs all shouting..'Me! me! Pick my brand of truth!

I think it is intriguing and addictive, hearing from many the different viewpoints and personalities. Thank you.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:18 AM

2,238 posts, read 6,437,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Maybe atheists wonder why God has chosen to 'speak' to certain individuals, but not them? Maybe they are trying to understand, what it is when God speaks to someone, to make rational sense of why that person believes so strongly that God communicates with them personally and answers their prayers?
I don't wonder that. I know what it is that people are "hearing" when they think it's god speaking to them. The human mind is a really weird critter that can imagine anything and make it seem real if the person is willing to believe it. People think they hear a god because they want to hear a god, and thus their imagination gives them what they wish for.

Does this make it any less real for them? Of course not. And, as long as the deity-in-their-mind doesn't tell them to do bad things, what's the harm?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ringwielder
"Maybe atheists wonder why God has chosen to 'speak' to certain individuals, but not them? Maybe they are trying to understand, what it is when God speaks to someone, to make rational sense of why that person believes so strongly that God communicates with them personally and answers their prayers?"

If I told you something like that, God talking to me, you would respond by saying something like this:

"I don't wonder that. I know what it is that people are "hearing" when they think it's god speaking to them. The human mind is a really weird critter that can imagine anything and make it seem real if the person is willing to believe it. People think they hear a god because they want to hear a god, and thus their imagination gives them what they wish for."

So see it can be pointless for an atheists to try to believe in God if they don't take something seriously. EW

Old 01-24-2008, 02:08 PM

Oh, I seriously believe that you think you're hearing a deity speak to you. That doesn't mean I think it's actually happening. And overall, I think atheists take believers far more seriously than the other way around.

Plus, if an atheist "tried" to believe in a god, they wouldn't be an atheist so that's not really a relevant statement.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:02 PM

Then why do so many atheists say that they want to learn because maybe they might change their mind?

If thats not the reason then why do they waste their time trying to get others to agree or for that matter even want to explore religious people?

If a religious person does it there is more reason to do so because they sometimes are asked to spread the word of God.

But why must an atheists do it?

Old 01-24-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
Then why do so many atheists say that they want to learn because maybe they might change their mind?

If thats not the reason then why do they waste their time trying to get others to agree or for that matter even want to explore religious people?

If a religious person does it there is more reason to do so because they sometimes are asked to spread the word of God.

But why must an atheists do it?
I don't think I've ever heard an atheist say "Please tell me your beliefs because you might change my mind." But, more times than I can remember I've heard one say some version of "I'm interested in your beliefs because I want to understand you better."

And to take it a bit further, something I've never ever said to anyone in my whole life is "You shouldn't believe in a god", but I cannot begin count the times that a god-believer has said to me "You need to be saved" or "You need to come to Jesus" or "You should believe in god" or "How can you bear to live without believing in god" or "You're going to burn in hell for not believing in god".

That's the difference between me, and them. I accept that they sincerely believe what they believe and I don't care if they ever change their minds. As to the reasons WHY I like to discuss philosophy with god-believers, I've already gone into that. All you have to do is read what I said.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:28 PM

"I'm interested in your beliefs because I want to understand you better."

What is the logic for an atheists to want to understand us better?
You don't even know me for one thing and why would you want to?

Old 01-24-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwar View Post
"I'm interested in your beliefs because I want to understand you better."

What is the logic for an atheists to want to understand us better?
You don't even know me for one thing and why would you want to?
Wow...just wow! You don't have any urge to understand other people? Why? That's simply incomprehensible to me. Not wanting to understand how other people feel and believe is the stuff that Crusades and Jihads and Inquisitions and other things are made of...(and not just religious ones either...)

Better understanding of your fellow man has soooo many benefits!

Old 01-24-2008, 05:55 PM

""Wow...just wow! You don't have any urge to understand other people? Why? ""

I couldn't give a rats butt why your an atheists and I couldn't give a rats butt why a Christian is a Christian. I'm more interested in what the terms are and what they stand for. A 1,000 different individuals will all tell you something different anyway. I mean I don't go out of my way to try to figure out what someone is thinking. I am however curious about what a group of people think they represent.

That's simply incomprehensible to me. Not wanting to understand how other people feel and believe is the stuff that Crusades and Jihads and Inquisitions and other things are made of...(and not just religious ones either...)

The above phrase is taking what I said out of context a bit. EW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality