Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 07:51 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,155,884 times

Advertisements

There's a popular belief out there that Jesus was a wonderful person who taught love and compassion. But if we believe the stuff attributed to Jesus in the Bible, it's hard to maintain such a view. Ultimately, we'll never know what Jesus really said or if he even existed at all. But for now I will assume that he existed and that the Bible is an accurate record of his words.

I'll start with John 3:16. Jesus is speaking to Nicodemus. It's a popular verse because it is "nice." There are even "John 3:16" t-shirts, motivational posters, and bumper stickers. "For God so loved the world that whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life." Sounds nice right? It's quoted frequently (usually out of context) as proof of God's love for the whole world.

The next verse (17) seems pretty nice too: "For God did not send his Son [Jesus] into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." Other than the implication that the world needs to be "saved" from something, it's pretty nice.

But let's look at the verse immediately after (verse 18): "Whoever believes in Him [Jesus] is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in God's one and only Son." So here we have a "not so nice" teaching of Jesus: a clear division of people into two groups: whoever believes in him and whoever does not believe in him. And the ones who do not believe are condemned. Just for not believing.

He doesn't say that "evil" people will be condemned. The reason for condemnation is non-belief...as if not believing something is somehow evil and deserving of condemnation. It's not surprising that we don't see too many John 3:18 t-shirts and bumper stickers out there.

John 3:18 is but one of many examples. So why do so many people see Jesus as a nice harmless teacher of love and kindness when there are so many nasty teachings attributed to him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 08:17 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,024,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There's a popular belief out there that Jesus was a wonderful person who taught love and compassion. But if we believe the stuff attributed to Jesus in the Bible, it's hard to maintain such a view. Ultimately, we'll never know what Jesus really said or if he even existed at all. But for now I will assume that he existed and that the Bible is an accurate record of his words.

I'll start with John 3:16. Jesus is speaking to Nicodemus. It's a popular verse because it is "nice." There are even "John 3:16" t-shirts, motivational posters, and bumper stickers. "For God so loved the world that whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life." Sounds nice right? It's quoted frequently (usually out of context) as proof of God's love for the whole world.

The next verse (17) seems pretty nice too: "For God did not send his Son [Jesus] into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." Other than the implication that the world needs to be "saved" from something, it's pretty nice.

But let's look at the verse immediately after (verse 18): "Whoever believes in Him [Jesus] is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in God's one and only Son." So here we have a "not so nice" teaching of Jesus: a clear division of people into two groups: whoever believes in him and whoever does not believe in him. And the ones who do not believe are condemned. Just for not believing.

He doesn't say that "evil" people will be condemned. The reason for condemnation is non-belief...as if not believing something is somehow evil and deserving of condemnation. It's not surprising that we don't see too many John 3:18 t-shirts and bumper stickers out there.

John 3:18 is but one of many examples. So why do so many people see Jesus as a nice harmless teacher of love and kindness when there are so many nasty teachings attributed to him?
Make sure if someone robs you that you don't condemn them...So where are the many quotes?...

Old 06-26-2015, 08:33 AM

689 posts, read 494,558 times
If quoted correctly Jesus said some sensible things, and others which were silly. He was a just an ordinary human with flaws like the rest of us!

Old 06-26-2015, 08:44 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:

yup. Jesus kicked some butt. I love the one about pedophiles. That's why I have no problem with his teachings.

The "non belief" is a literal take. I take the "non belief" as meaning not believing in truth, justice, liberty, and equal availability to pursue happiness. yeah, I condemn anybody against that.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:46 AM

Paedophiles?

Old 06-26-2015, 08:46 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:

I always get a chuckle out of the idea that human beings are upset that God has freedom to save the ones he wants to save. I bet you're a Democrat, aren't you? You think it's unfair to let some get saved but not all? That everyone must be treated the exact same?

Old 06-26-2015, 08:48 AM

The deity has as much freedom as the human imagination gives it!

Old 06-26-2015, 08:49 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,982,384 times
Quote:

So are you suggesting that God shouldn't want people to listen to him? He should create people who can do whatever they want? When was the last time you seen an inventor/creator, create something that didn't turn out anyway like they wanted it to, didn't make an effort to 'correct it' and simply allowed that invention/creation to remain as it is. Why do you believe God should allow us to do whatever we feel is right?

Old 06-26-2015, 09:21 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
John 3:18 is but one of many examples. So why do so many people see Jesus
as a nice harmless teacher of love and kindness when there are so many nasty
teachings attributed to him?
Excellent observation!

And this is one reason why I can not call myself a Christian according to others' standards,
because I simply do not trust the Bible's scribes or translators
or the memories of others, whatever.
I, personally, do not believe Jesus said that or certainly was misinterpreted.
He would know no one is ever ''condemned''.
That's crazy talk.

To those that believe the Bible is factual and accurate, are thinking I am being
hugely blasphemous now...not so...
I, in turn, can think they are being blasphemous
thinking still there is some 'wrathful Divine, Holy Father'.

To truly know Him, is to know He is nothing but pure love, period.
There is no room for these concepts of condemnation within Him.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:33 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,155,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
So where are the many quotes?...
Stay tuned. More at 11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality