Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:34 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I realize that. Reincarnation for the purpose of paying a "kharmic debt" in order to learn a lesson has never made sense to me. Still doesn't.
yup. Conservation of "goodness" means that "goodness" can never be created or destroyed. Only changed and then changed back. Of course we can call it "conservation of Ying/yang" or "Im'a a yoyo."

I don't do mystic's fundamental conscious field. But it may very well be an emergent property. Thus when a collection of atoms is in the exact same state as a previous set, it is the previous set. But the numbers involved don't point to an exact replicate, but rather a similar duplication. Thus we see it as "reminding me of somebody I knew". And heck, with the number of particles involved and the accepted notion that a present state is indicative of a past state the whole idea of reincarnation has merit.

Even simpler, The mixture of personality traits, while large, is very repeatable. So I bet there are people that act very similar to us in multiple places right now, let alone after we die.

But that's just a logical look. The emotional stance of "paying debt" just has no value to entertain. It does us no good thinking we need to pay a comsic bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 11:42 AM

22,167 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
The emotional stance of "paying debt" just has no value to entertain. It does us no good thinking we need to pay a comsic bill.
then you don't believe we are to take responsibility for the consequences of our actions?
even my toddlers at age 3 had grasped that simple healthy construct!

healthy behavior is learned and implemented when a person takes responsibility for accepting the natural consequences of our actions.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-30-2015 at 12:08 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 01:27 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
then you don't believe we are to take responsibility for the consequences of our actions?
even my toddlers at age 3 had grasped that simple healthy construct!

healthy behavior is learned and implemented when a person takes responsibility for accepting the natural consequences of our actions.
"accountability" is not a reason to believe in god or not to believe in god. "Facts" are. I don't understand how come I can't believe in no Christian god (or no cosmic debt) and accountability at the same time. Why is that?

Old 06-30-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
"accountability" is not a reason to believe in god or not to believe in god. "Facts" are. I don't understand how come I can't believe in no Christian god (or no cosmic debt) and accountability at the same time. Why is that?
help me understand then
if someone is a tyrant say for 70 years, and is not punished or brought to justice during his lifetime, how is he held accountable?

(and none of this is a Christian model anyway, Christianity does not teach reincarnation)

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 06-30-2015 at 06:21 PM..

Old 06-30-2015, 06:44 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,351 times
Quote:
It does us no good thinking we need to pay a comsic bill.
Please expand on this idea if you will Arch.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:45 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
Please expand on this idea if you will Arch.

Forgiveness is possible without repayment?

Old 07-01-2015, 05:25 AM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Sorry Tzap, but this is a harmful belief, in my opinion. Victims of any type of abuse very often believe it is their fault and blame themselves, and it creates feelings of deep-seated worthlessness. This belief just plays right into that. That can't be healthy.
My stepdaughter is doing the cruelty thing that Miss H believes she did in a previous life. The last thing my wife would ever agree to do is to treat her daughter the same way ... in this life or in any other. Any mentally healthy and functional parent worth their salt would not.

Adult children mistreating parents, whether it is shutting them out or some form of elder care torment or somewhere in between, is a complex problem with multiple causes. Often it is rooted in parent and child having very different personality types and simply being completely "wrong" for each other. Whatever the solution, if any, may be, I can tell you that it is NOT more cruelty and callousness.

I will not second guess or armchair-analyze Miss H; she has clearly found a stable state for herself and that is what matters for her happiness. But her assertions about the afterlife are the perfect illustration of why the afterlife is the Big Enchilada of things where you should be careful what you ask for.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:27 AM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
help me understand then
if someone is a tyrant say for 70 years, and is not punished or brought to justice during his lifetime, how is he held accountable?

(and none of this is a Christian model anyway, Christianity does not teach reincarnation)
He is not. He ceases to exist. This is neither just nor unjust. The only (in)justice that exists is for the living.

That life is often "unfair" for the living does not justify thinking that existence is somehow extended until justice is obtained. The universe is completely indifferent to human concerns.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:53 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
He is not. He ceases to exist. This is neither just nor unjust. The only (in)justice that exists is for the living.

That life is often "unfair" for the living does not justify thinking that existence is somehow extended until justice is obtained. The universe is completely indifferent to human concerns.
Not only that, but the false hope of justice obtained in the afterlife hampers efforts to obtain more justice in the here and now.

"Don't worry about your life now, there's a pie in the sky when you die."

Old 07-01-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Not only that, but the false hope of justice obtained in the afterlife hampers efforts to obtain more justice in the here and now.

"Don't worry about your life now, there's a pie in the sky when you die."
that is not what reincarnation is saying it all
it is in fact saying the opposite

it is not about pie in the sky when you die, and none of my posts have said that

it is saying if you treat people like crap, until you change your ways you will keep coming back to earth and be treated like crap yourself, until you get the very basic lesson to treat people with kindness, and show that you can put it into action

we incarnate to learn very basic lessons: kindness, honesty, compassion, peace, helping others
we keep incarnating until we learn these
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality