Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:42 AM

468 posts, read 265,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You have not listened to a single thing I have said.
O yes I have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 06:11 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
This is what I was talking about. Not only the burden of it but that some Christians seem oblivious to the implications if God did pick and choose.
I suspect it was your thread that triggered it, Kat. I had a dream (more like a nightmare) and in it I was tasked with getting everyone to truly love one another, care about their welfare, eliminate unfairness, eliminate injustice, minimize selfishness, etc. . . . and essentially optimize human well-being across the globe. I had to decide how to do it WITHOUT coercion or interfering with anyone's free choices. Despite my best effort (in the dream anyway) I couldn't even imagine how it could be done with 7 billion+ individually motivated human beings . . . EVEN if I had the all the powers usually attributed to God. It was and remains a very troubling dream. I was relieved when I awoke from it.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 PM

618 posts, read 540,664 times
Hello MysticPhD.

So then, you would posit that there are things god cannot do? That's what I infer from your post above.

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:28 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I suspect it was your thread that triggered it, Kat. I had a dream (more like a nightmare) and in it I was tasked with getting everyone to truly love one another, care about their welfare, eliminate unfairness, eliminate injustice, minimize selfishness, etc. . . . and essentially optimize human well-being across the globe. I had to decide how to do it WITHOUT coercion or interfering with anyone's free choices. Despite my best effort (in the dream anyway) I couldn't even imagine how it could be done with 7 billion+ individually motivated human beings . . . EVEN if I had the all the powers usually attributed to God. It was and remains a very troubling dream. I was relieved when I awoke from it.
Sorry 'bout that! I didn't intend to cause nightmares even though this thread did sorta turn into one.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:38 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
How do you explain (whether by religion or spirituality) the fact that some of the most innocent people get horrible afflictions, like cancer?

For example, your grandma who never did a horrible thing in her life, tried to eat as healthy as she knew how, was sweet to everyone, and never took drugs or smoked gets lung cancer or liver cancer.

Or.. a child has leukemia.. what did they do to deserve that?

On the other hand, the heroin addict or thief or murderer never gets sick.

Obviously these are hypothetical but I wonder what you think.

Don't we always get what we deserve?
the rules show "probability equations" predict how much things are controlled. God is of this universe just like everything else. They are one in the same. But in the end, I don't know.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyker View Post
Hello MysticPhD.
So then, you would posit that there are things god cannot do? That's what I infer from your post above.
Thanks.
Actually, it reveals a dearth in MY imagination more than anything about God, Hyker. Even with Godly powers, . . . with 7 billion+ individuals with their own selfish agendas and motivations, . . . I simply could not see any way it could be accomplished without coercion or making them robots.
Quote:
Sorry 'bout that! I didn't intend to cause nightmares even though this thread did sorta turn into one.
It's okay, Kat. I don't really blame you, my friend. This is an area that has perplexed me for a very, very long time. Obviously, my subconscious wanted to try to give it a go.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:51 PM

22,148 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
I was tasked with getting everyone to truly love one another, care about their welfare, eliminate unfairness, eliminate injustice, minimize selfishness, etc. . . . and essentially optimize human well-being across the globe. I had to decide how to do it WITHOUT coercion or interfering with anyone's free choices. Despite my best effort (in the dream anyway) I couldn't even imagine how it could be done with 7 billion+ individually motivated human beings . . . EVEN if I had the all the powers usually attributed to God. It was and remains a very troubling dream. I was relieved when I awoke from it.
the power of prayer can do these things
and more

because it is not 7 billion separate people, it is 7 billion cells in a single body
and since you are one of the 7 billion cells in the single body, you can command, demand, decree for the body: peace, health, kindness, well-being

all of creation is one with God. you are calling forth the God that is within all of creation, the God that is within the 7 billion cells in the single body of humankind, to bless and heal every cell of life, every particle of life. you are not doing the healing yourself, but you are commanding that God do it. you have the authority to command this because it is your birthright (we all have this same authority and this same birthright). you already know that the light of God never fails, just call it forth and keep calling it forth, and for it to be most powerful and effective, call by name the Divinity you have the most loving feeling towards, and with the feeling of that love in your heart, call forth, command, demand and decree.

you have no idea how this lights up the heavenly realms and opens the door for blessings to pour forth into this world. i am thanking you in advance Mystic, so get to it!

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-06-2015 at 07:33 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 08:55 PM

11 posts, read 7,486 times
Quote:
My suspicion is that this is not just a dream but that you tried to do this in some way and it didn't work; it's a noble effort and I tried likewise. The reality is the soul is like a plant, you can water it, you can give it light but you can't force it to grow at a faster rate then it already can; you can't force a plant to grow. The same is true with the concept of love, you can't force someone to love you and no amount of hard work or effort will ever result in love; love is something else.

These are the reasons God's ways seem so mysterious to some; there genuinely is nothing he could do to make the world any other way and to make the people in it any other way than it already is. What is the point of asking him to be more present when the plant and the love will grow as it grows at whatever rate it grows with or without him? That's like a gardener thinking that if he just talks to his plants all day it will somehow grow faster; it won't.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:50 PM

22,148 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomCom34 View Post
That's like a gardener thinking that if he just talks to his plants all day it will somehow grow faster; it won't.
actually scientific studies have shown that plants that are talked regularly to DO grow better and faster.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomCom34 View Post
My suspicion is that this is not just a dream but that you tried to do this in some way and it didn't work; it's a noble effort and I tried likewise. The reality is the soul is like a plant, you can water it, you can give it light but you can't force it to grow at a faster rate then it already can; you can't force a plant to grow. The same is true with the concept of love, you can't force someone to love you and no amount of hard work or effort will ever result in love; love is something else.
These are the reasons God's ways seem so mysterious to some; there genuinely is nothing he could do to make the world any other way and to make the people in it any other way than it already is. What is the point of asking him to be more present when the plant and the love will grow as it grows at whatever rate it grows with or without him? That's like a gardener thinking that if he just talks to his plants all day it will somehow grow faster; it won't.
As I said, It is an issue that has perplexed me for a long time. Our subconscious does try to deal with our frustrations in our dreams, so I suspect you are correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality