Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 11:55 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Never in the history of our country has anyone been guaranteed the right to marry for love. Why now?

it is not a guarantee to marry for love, where is that written into the marriage law. It is the right to marry the gender you are sexually attractive to. Several native tribes had same sex marriage which should have been incorporated into the laws of the land except discrimination was even worse back in the 19th Century. At that time slavery was legal too and that changed. Arranged marriages can be done with same sex couples just like hetrosexual couples if that is what you are worried about. Repeating a incorrect claim does not make it true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Taxes are an effect, not a cause. If you don't get a job, you don't have to file taxes.

As for the cake's ingredients, what if I wanted something weird, gross, and/or hard to find that wasn't a health hazard? What if someone specifically asked for a nasty tasting cake (I don't know, say Vegemite flavored? ) that would reflect poorly on bakery's reputation? According to this decision, the bakery has to comply and make a product they don't want to make. It's like making Chevrolet produce motorcycles or forcing Taco Bell to sell hot dogs.

Dictating how a bakery should or should not make cakes is not the American way. If you don't like what they are selling, you are free to go elsewhere.

Again, the bakery was not stopping a gay couple from getting married. They simply didn't offer a cake with two grooms on top and didn't want to make concessions.

you are totally wrong. They were asked to make a wedding cake and they already make wedding cakes. There is no diference in the cake. If GM was asked to make a model of car that they already make but the order was from a gay person would be a better example. Can Taco Bell have a policy that they do not serve blacks? Coudl they make the arguement that refusing to serve blacks is the same as refusing to sell hot dogs?

The civil rights act seems to undermine your entire argument. And the woman went to the baker because they liked the cake the baker sold to the one woman's mother. Do you accept discrimination based on race or gender as well? Is discrimination against others the American way. Was the entire civil rights act and movement anti American? Separate water fountains the American way?

Old 07-22-2015, 12:14 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Taxes are an effect, not a cause. If you don't get a job, you don't have to file taxes.

As for the cake's ingredients, what if I wanted something weird, gross, and/or hard to find that wasn't a health hazard? What if someone specifically asked for a nasty tasting cake (I don't know, say Vegemite flavored? ) that would reflect poorly on bakery's reputation? According to this decision, the bakery has to comply and make a product they don't want to make. It's like making Chevrolet produce motorcycles or forcing Taco Bell to sell hot dogs.

Dictating how a bakery should or should not make cakes is not the American way. If you don't like what they are selling, you are free to go elsewhere.

Again, the bakery was not stopping a gay couple from getting married. They simply didn't offer a cake with two brides on top and didn't want to make concessions. Bad business choice, yes... but should it have merited legal intervention? Hell no. The road to hell is paved with good intentions, after all...
Except for the fact that the couple was refused ANY cake before they even got to the point of discussing what they wanted the cake to look like.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:16 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
you are totally wrong. They were asked to make a wedding cake and they already make wedding cakes. There is no diference in the cake. If GM was asked to make a model of car that they already make but the order was from a gay person would be a better example. Can Taco Bell have a policy that they do not serve blacks? Coudl they make the arguement that refusing to serve blacks is the same as refusing to sell hot dogs?

The civil rights act seems to undermine your entire argument. And the woman went to the baker because they liked the cake the baker sold to the one woman's mother. Do you accept discrimination based on race or gender as well? Is discrimination against others the American way. Was the entire civil rights act and movement anti American? Separate water fountains the American way?
Guess I misunderstood the circumstances... I thought the bakery refused to make a gay themed cake but I did some more reading and that wasn't the case.

If it was literally "I know you are gay and we don't serve your kind here, get out!" that's a different circumstance altogether and the lawsuit award makes more sense...

Old 07-22-2015, 12:20 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You mean "separate but equal"? It wasn't good enough that gay people could marry--they had to have their own version of marriage involving 2 people of the same gender. That variation did not exist before.
Neither you nor I could envision either of us being married to someone of the same sex.

By the same token, those that are born, and yes they are born not making a choice, homosexual, cannot envision being married to someone of the opposite sex.

As such, what's the big deal if they get married? Does it affect you? Does it affect me? Does it affect society?

It doesn't affect anyone except the two people involved. They are consenting adults, so who cares that Bobby likes Earl or Angie likes Susan. It's just not a big deal.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:25 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Guess I misunderstood the circumstances... I thought the bakery refused to make a gay themed cake but I did some more reading and that wasn't the case.

If it was literally "I know you are gay and we don't serve your kind here, get out!" that's a different circumstance altogether and the lawsuit award makes more sense...
Thank you.

I'm thanking you for actually looking at the facts, and changing your perspective based on those facts. That is rare in this discussion.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Thank you.

I'm thanking you for actually looking at the facts, and changing your perspective based on those facts. That is rare in this discussion.

Add my thanks as well

Old 07-22-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Neither you nor I could envision either of us being married to someone of the same sex.

By the same token, those that are born, and yes they are born not making a choice, homosexual, cannot envision being married to someone of the opposite sex.

As such, what's the big deal if they get married? Does it affect you? Does it affect me? Does it affect society?

It doesn't affect anyone except the two people involved. They are consenting adults, so who cares that Bobby likes Earl or Angie likes Susan. It's just not a big deal.

It may be simply the perceiced loss ownership of the word marriage. But calling two of the same gender wedded together something different than a marriage would certainly be equal but different.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:57 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It may be simply the perceiced loss ownership of the word marriage. But calling two of the same gender wedded together something different than a marriage would certainly be equal but different.
Marriage /ˈmerij/ noun

Marriage, also called matrimony or wedlock, is a socially or ritually recognized union or legal contract between spouses that establishes rights and obligations between them, between them and their children, and between them and their in-laws

Old 07-22-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Marriage /ˈmerij/ noun

Marriage, also called matrimony or wedlock, is a socially or ritually recognized union or legal contract between spouses that establishes rights and obligations between them, between them and their children, and between them and their in-laws

Gee that seems to cover same sex or opposite sex couples
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality