Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 09:28 AM

17,159 posts, read 11,379,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Because the issue isn't whether or not you think their objections are justified. Since you are extremely supportive of homosexuality, it is a pointless debate anyways because you would never understand why they objected in the first place. Who are you to decide when a Christian's moral convictions are justified or not? Based on a statistic of probability? And that ignores my point that someone who is remarrying can be forgiven and renewed in their new relationship just like someone who has sex outside of marriage isn't in a constant state of sinning. A gay marriage is a constant state of rebelling against God's design.
An unholy adulterous union can become holy. How convenient. How does that happen, exactly?

But, let's say you're right, just for the sake of argument, that a gay marriage goes against God's design. If fornicating heterosexuals can somehow be forgiven and renewed within their unholy union that goes against God's design, why can't people within a gay marriage? You guys say God can change people's sexual orientation or give them the ability to resist their desire for physical intimacy with someone of the same gender AND God can do anything. Surely God can work that miracle within a gay marriage as well as outside of it. At least, in the meantime, 2 monogamous homosexuals would be off the streets and not spreading HIV (which is the other thing you guys seem to be very concerned about).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 09:29 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,912,587 times
Quote:
And you continue to have ZERO proof that our beliefs are nothing more than myths and fairy tales.
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff.

You know by now that negatives can never be proven. The burden of proof is borne by those that make the claim.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:29 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,157,293 times
Quote:
And you continue to have ZERO proof that our beliefs are nothing more than myths and fairy tales.
Our proof is the mentality and postings of those who believe.

No further proof needed.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,197,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
jeff, jeff, jeff.

You know by now that negatives can never be proven. The burden of proof is borne by those that make the claim.
what do you mean??

God said it is evidence so why don"t we believe that???

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 07-08-2015 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-08-2015, 09:32 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,318,358 times
Quote:
I have been quite clear in past posts that I deplore the actions of Westboro and they share nothing with the beliefs of the Baptist church, but I guess that won't stop you from making up whatever fiction you need in order to paint us as the bad guys. Do you believe we all wear black hats and twiddle our mustaches with an evil grin too?
In this case you ARE the bad guys.

I know that's a bitter pill to swallow, but you are.

The list of evil committed in the name of good is longer than my arm.

This is the kind of stuff your pals in the Islamic State do. Fundamentalists are dangerous people -- at least to anyone who enjoys living in a free, democratic, and relatively peaceful society.

I know you won't accept it or even truly process this in your brain, but yes, you are wearing a black hat and twiddling your mustache when it comes to this issue.

And you don't even understand how the 1st Amendment is on OUR side, not yours.

Plus, I really don't care about this baker getting a fine. My concern is this religious fanaticism, like pharmacists who won't fill legal and legitimate scripts for birth control pills. I'm personally sick and tired of these fanatics acting as roadblocks to other people's wants and needs because they're worried about displeasing a god. THIS is one clear-cut reason why this kind of nonsensical primitivism has to go. The fact that this is still happening in the 21st Century and in a nation that is the richest, most powerful, most technologically advanced nation on the planet. And here we are, stymied by a fear of wrathful gods.

*sigh*

It's as if we haven't advanced a single day since 1500 B.C.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,192,207 times
Quote:
And the government violated the 1st amendment rights in their ruling. The government is wrong and the law is wrong.
How so? The government did not force the bakers to offer wedding cakes. The government only said that if you choose to offer wedding cakes, then you can not discriminate.
If your religion prohibits you from selling wedding cakes to everyone, then it is not recommended that you offer wedding cakes.

Your personal religious beliefs do not trump generally applicable laws.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:43 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,726,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Jeff, Jeff, Jeff.

And just because our proof doesn't meet your extremely narrow requirements (and nothing would really) of acceptable proof doesn't give you the right to claim as FACT that it is myth and fairy tales. That's your claim. Own up to it. Lack of evidence is not proof.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:47 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,785,414 times
Quote:
And the government violated the 1st amendment rights in their ruling. The government is wrong and the law is wrong.
Are you really trying to destroy the country? Because if you believe that any law that restricts religious practice is wrong, you have effectively dismantled the entire legal system. Drug and alcohol laws would have to be stricken, after all pot, peyote, even alcohol can be religious sacraments. Polygamy, underage marriage, selling of children, eve the sacrifice of children have all been religiously justified, so they must be allowed, right? Genital mutilation, honor killings, burning widows, none of these couldbe outlawed. In fact even our system of government would be up for grabs, if a community decided they believed in the divine right of Kings...

Surely this is not what you mean. Of course we restrict religious freedom, we must in order to prevent religious abuses. We need some common constraints, some shared framework that apply regardless of personal religious belief, that is the very essence of law.

The goal of the first amendment is to maximize the freedom of conscience within the shared framework of law. Theoretically we want to maximize individual liberty for everyone involved, but it is always going to be a balancing act. I clearly cannot be allowed the freedom to kill or enslave you, even though that restriction might be an infringement upon sincerely held religious beliefs. The liberty of all involved must be considered.

-NOCapo

Old 07-08-2015, 09:47 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,629,055 times
Quote:

The scary thing about the June ruling on SSM is that we now have given non-elected justices the power to apply their own definitions and judgement to the Constitution and change it and there is nothing that the states or voice of the people can do about it.

Yes, we have that now. And we have had that since Sept 17, 1787. And we will continue to have it as long as our nation exists.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:50 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,726,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
In this case you ARE the bad guys.

I know that's a bitter pill to swallow, but you are.

The list of evil committed in the name of good is longer than my arm.

This is the kind of stuff your pals in the Islamic State do. Fundamentalists are dangerous people -- at least to anyone who enjoys living in a free, democratic, and relatively peaceful society.

I know you won't accept it or even truly process this in your brain, but yes, you are wearing a black hat and twiddling your mustache when it comes to this issue.
You are living in a distorted view of society. When was the last time you was in a fundamentalist church? You are clueless about our faith and what we practice and believe. My Christian brothers and sisters are the kind of people who will drop everything and help a person in need. Yea awful people, huh?

OTOH, the only thing I see from your side is arrogance, a quick move to insults, zero respect for a difference of opinion, lots and lots of anger and even death threats. But you are on the side of righteousness? Wake up. Political correctness is the true danger. It is setting us right on the same path as Germany once did until people are too afraid to speak out and just quietly comply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality