Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 02:06 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I haven't conversed with you for quite awhile Golden and I'm concerned...Are you ok? Your posts lately seem very confused and make very little sense...
If they made sense to you before...they make sense now. 90% is "cut and paste" of old posts.
If you notice...I don't post much anymore.
Most of the threads that see a lot of action now are threads about sexual stuff. Homo-sex is really big...and I've NEVER seen a thread get more action in less time than that thread about the holy-roller, pedophile, reality-TV guy. Like I wanna talk about that!
Plus...I've been really busy. Less lag time at the club to spend on this board. So I just take 2 or 3 of my old post and "cut and paste" them together. It's all I have time for. Where you guys find the time to put up 10, 15, 20 thousand, well thought out & presented posts, I have no idea. Hey, we all chose what to do with our time.
But...I'm fine. Still tough as nails, sharp as a tack, and on the case. See...unlike you, I'm not quite part of the geriatric crew of old geezers that mostly populates this forum!
But I still love all of you!

Quote:
The bottom line is the law says if a business offers a product for sale they cannot refuse to sell it to any person based on their sex, color or religion..... The buyer is, and has always been free to choose to buy it or not....My 4 year old grandaughter knows how this works, why don't you?
Your granddaughter may know how it works, but, like you, doesn't understand the inequity of it.
Never mind the product or service for sale! Why should the Buyer be able to freely pick who to buy from...but the Seller can't pick who to sell to?
Since these "Public Accommodation" laws were put into place...there is a bias against Sellers in favor of Buyers. Buyers don't have to buy from anyone they don't want to...but Sellers must sell to everyone whether they want to or not?!! How is that "fair"?!
These laws are the antithesis of "equal protection".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 02:40 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
That is beyond ridiculous....So you think the law should tell me who I must buy from....Have you had a stroke or something?

Old 07-10-2015, 03:08 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Something tells me you are not in the Bible belt if you refer to your town as a village No wonder you don't know what is really going on in the Christian church.
Ah the "You do not know what you are talking about because you are not local" canard you tried and failed on me in the past too when you tried to dodge replying to my opinion by declaring that I was not american enough.

Quote:
No because you would be committing a crime.
And yet when your little in-group commits a crime you whinge and whine when they are rightly prosecuted for it.

Quote:
Here's a novel idea - respect people's right to freedom of religion and do business elsewhere with someone who would appreciate their gay customers.
Here's a novel idea - learn what "freedom of religion" means. You clearly still do not get, or want to get, what "freedom of religion" means.

Quote:
Discrimination laws shouldn't be all encompassing.
They should also not be over looked merely because someone breaking the law declares themselves to be religious.

Quote:
I don't consider advancement of immorality to be progress.
I don't consider you making up based on nothing what is moral and immoral to be progress. I have not seen one single person on this thread trying to advance immorality. We simply do not agree with your declarations by unsubstantiated fiat as to what constitutes immorality. But you do like your little propaganda narrative and of course you would therefore jump on someone with morals different to yours and pretend they are advancing immorality.

Quote:
Men like you have attacked and mocked the Word of God all throughout history, but it has survived and never changes. Men who are now dust and bones, long forgotten in their mockery.
So you are replying having open and honest discourse with simply making yourself a cheer leader for the dead.

Quote:
Well I get reps every day for my posts here
Not really you do not no, or at least a ration or 0.2 points per post is nothing to be bragging about. But as I pointed out in the last two posts on this thread which you dodged and ignored, you are still playing this "I have no evidence so I will point out some people sometimes agree with me" nonsense in place of actually discussing or supporting your own posts.

If you are going to play that nonsense then does that mean I am more correct in everything I say than you because I have a post:reputation ratio more than twice as good as yours? No clearly not, and I would never fallaciously argue that the quality of my points is based on quantity of reputation on a forum. My points and posts stand for themselves without such desperation to validate them to myself.

Quote:
How about working out a solution that can respect freedom of religion while not going overboard with discrimination?
We have one. Keep your private religion private, in your own home and in your club house, and keep it out of the public spheres of our halls of power, education, business and science. Solution is perfect. You just do not like it or want it. But that does not mean it is not a good one.

Quote:
We want nothing to do with gay marriage. NOTHING.
Then either have the law changed, or close your businesses with which your cohort are discriminating against them illegally.

Quote:
Good grief, what does it take for people like you to understand why it is morally wrong to force someone to engage with a person who identities with something that is a direct offense to their religious beliefs?
Good grief, what does it take for people like you to understand why it is morally wrong to force your religious beliefs into the public sphere where it is an offence under the law and to secular public morality?

Quote:
That doesn't change the MORAL SITUATION.
And the moral situation is clear, that this discourse is about homosexuality and you have not managed to erect a single moral argument against homosexuality except to claim there is a god and homosexuality offends it. Neither of which claims you have bothered to back up either. So you are supporting makey up unsubstantiated nonsense with further makey up unsubstantiated nonsense. And then getting haughty when people do not swallow your pills whole.

Quote:
We don't want to serve immoral ceremonies or activities.
Then either get the law changed or close those businesses or move to a place where the laws will not compel you to do so. If you can not follow the law, you have no business being in business. Deal with it. It's as simple as that, but you have to take it to extreme unrealistic scenarios in your christian persecution narrative.

Quote:
you can start with some basic exceptions like excluding religious beliefs that cause harm to people or property.
Not happening. I have been, will continue to, and likely always will fight against ANY concept that people can make themselves exempt from a law, or be excluded from it, solely by claiming to be of a given religion. It is nonsense, unworkable, and dangerous. People could just claim whatever religion they want at any time in order to get out of whatever law is bothering them on that day. Americans ALREADY switch religions more often on average than they switch Cell Phone Providers. And we would create a business niche of religions set up purely with beliefs tailored to laws people dislike.

You can keep trying and whining of course, but the fight to gain special privileges with regards the law based on your religion of choice is not a fight that is going to go easy for you, nor is it one I ever expect you to win.

Quote:
Refusing a blood transfusion falls into that category.
I believe anyone should be permitted to refuse a blood transfusion for themselves for any reason. Religion not required. I do not even believe they should have to give a reason. They should just be allowed say "no" with no further questions asked.

I do NOT believe that they should be allowed make this decision for anyone else based on religion however, especially people not of the age of consent. If for example your religion demands no blood transfusions then by all means refuse one. If your 10 year old child requires one however, you have no right to refuse it in my book.

Quote:
even if it stomps over someone's 1st amendment rights is not the way to go.
Perhaps, perhaps not, but it would help if you first understood what 1st amendment rights are and how they are implemented and evaluated. Simply declaring things "stomp" them when they do not is not a valid legal argument or even an interesting one. It is just shrill whining and whinging and nothing more.

Quote:
Bigotry disguised by hiding behind the legal system is still bigotry.
Lucky therefore no such thing is happening outside of the fantasy world in your head.

Quote:
If homosexuality is not a sin then God is a liar in His Word. Sorry but that scenario just isn't likely.
Not likely at all because there is no argument, evidence, data or reasoning on offer (least of all from you) that there even is a god. So that god has any particular attribute, such as being a liar, is by definition even less likely again.

Quote:
Funny how it's now all about the death threats that the lesbian couple received when no one said a word about all the hate and death threats that the Christians receive. I even recall some people trying to justify it here. Unbelievable but not surprising.
No it is not surprising, nor is it unbelievable. Because it is not about "sides" it is about people. And there are many people who do not have the intellectual capabilities to enter into a debate with anything but violence and threats and cover ups. On your side, on our side, on the left side, on the right side, on all sides.

The only difference is that it is YOU in this discussion using this fact as a political points scoring propaganda and spin, not us. I, and others, stick the points relevant to the debate. You have no points, so instead you try to indict the opposing side with propaganda spin. The difference is as stark as it is telling.

You're only making yourself look bad with such snide pointless replies. Gas tank empty huh? Because apparently that's all you got now. Try to turn the discussion into something ugly against the opposing side. But you really do live in a fantasy world where apparently you think your side can do no wrong even when they make death threats and destroy businesses.

I won't play your game. But I will happily and with no small quantity of gusto highlight it in your posts when you play it because your own words harm your cause more readily and more often than mine do.

Quote:
And no sympathy for the death threats against the baker's children? Not a peep from your side about that.
Outright lie from you because several people on "our side" including myself have peeped and peeped loudly about it. You just ignore this because it does not fit the political spin narrative you want to present that we do not care about it, or that we are biased on who we bring our morality down on.

Does it not bother you that you sell narratives on here that are supported by wantonly and blatantly having to pretend that posts on this forum that you have read, actually never existed? Does the requirement that you warp reality and honesty to that degree not for one moment ever give you pause in your distribution of a narrative that serves to do nothing but erode your own credibility?

Old 07-10-2015, 05:08 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3
After the bakery owners went to the Internet to raise money, the court has decided that that same couple and bakery owners owe the lesbian couple who they denied a wedding cake, $135,000.
Excellent!

I hope they dont do anything bad to the cake!!

Old 07-10-2015, 05:29 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Anti-gay bakery owners must pay $135.000 to lesbian couple

After the bakery owners went to the Internet to raise money, the court has decided that that same couple and bakery owners owe the lesbian couple who they denied a wedding cake, $135,000.

Maybe that finally sends the message that no you cannot discriminate against same sex marriage or those who are LBQT.

Of course we can expect outrage by some of the religious fundamentalist around the country. Get into the 21st century, because the rest the world really doesn't care.
So if you owned a bakery, and someone wanted you to bake a cake promoting pedophilia, you would bake it, right?

And no, I am not comparing homosexuality to pedophilia in the least.

Subject matter is entirely irrelevant. It's about people being forced to participate and be a part of things that deeply offend them, religious or otherwise.

Perhaps a black cake maker should also be forced to bake a cake emblazoned with the confederate flag on it.

Private businesses should not be forced to render service to anyone for any reason. The issue becomes especially thorny when you consider that these owners are being penalized for not participating in something that goes directly against their religion.

And I'm as Atheistic as they come.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:30 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
Good grief, what does it take for people like you to understand why it is morally wrong to force someone to engage with a person who identities with something that is a direct offense to their religious beliefs?
Wait, I though all the rhetoric was trying to make this into a "not participating in something that goes against their religion" situation rather than a "we don't serve gays/Jews/Blacks" problem.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:32 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You don't think the baker should be allowed to refuse to cater a rally that they are morally opposed to?
If one is morally opposed to selling people baked goods, perhaps being a baker isn't the best career choice.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
The example of the preacher giving a sermon on evolution trumping creation is completely off base.

They were getting paid to do their job. Bake a cake. There's no difference between a gay/lesbian cake and a straight cake.
So a black bakery owner should be forced to bake a cake emblazoned with the confederate flag or "KKK" on it, right?

They are getting paid to bake a cake, and a cake is a cake is a cake, right?

Old 07-10-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
If one is morally opposed to selling people baked goods, perhaps being a baker isn't the best career choice.
Same question to you....

Should a black cake maker be forced to bake a cake emblazoned with the confederate flag for a KKK rally? Should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a cake with the Nazi flag on it for an Arian Brotherhood gathering?

I'm just testing to see if you guys truly believe what you're saying, or if it's just a bunch of intellectually dishonest garbage.

Your one word answer to the above questions, ( either a yes or no ) will tell me all I need to know.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:44 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Same question to you....

Should a black cake maker be forced to bake a cake emblazoned with the confederate flag for a KKK rally? Should a Jewish baker be forced to bake a cake with the Nazi flag on it for an Arian Brotherhood gathering?

I'm just testing to see if you guys truly believe what you're saying, or if it's just a bunch of intellectually dishonest garbage.

Your one word answer to the above questions, ( either a yes or no ) will tell me all I need to know.
Again, the issue is NOT the decorations. The issue is SIMPLY baking a CAKE with NO decorations.

BUT YES, a baker dos have to do a cake for a nazi, without the decorations or insignias...

Just posting to make sure YOU know the real issue and will no longer throw the herrings out inthe conversation that are irrelevant...

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 07-10-2015 at 05:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality