Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2015, 06:47 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
By making a cake and delivering it, the baker is facilitating it. No different than the guy that photographs it.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why you'd want to force your views on someone else. Is there a shortage of bakers? Of course not--we all know the reason. We know that the only reason this was an issue was so that a bigoted gay couple could make an example of someone.
The cake does not facilitate the wedding. The cake is not involved in the ceremony, It is not required for the marriage to be legal. The wedding will happen regardless of which baked good is served at the reception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Especially in this case, because there is no law. Laws must be voted on and passed by the people. What we have here, like in most states where "gay" marriage is "legal", is a court ruling by a handful of misguided souls who ought never to be allowed anywhere near public policy making.

Excellent post.
The vast majority of the laws in any state are not voted on, they are passed by the legislature. That is part of their job.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:52 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So if you owned a bakery, and someone wanted you to bake a cake promoting pedophilia, you would bake it, right?

And no, I am not comparing homosexuality to pedophilia in the least.

Subject matter is entirely irrelevant. It's about people being forced to participate and be a part of things that deeply offend them, religious or otherwise.

Perhaps a black cake maker should also be forced to bake a cake emblazoned with the confederate flag on it.

Private businesses should not be forced to render service to anyone for any reason. The issue becomes especially thorny when you consider that these owners are being penalized for not participating in something that goes directly against their religion.

And I'm as Atheistic as they come.
You're confused and conflating BAKING a cake for a gay wedding with DECORATING a cake. Which has already been discussed in this thread multiple times.

This thread is starting to sound like a conversation with a toddler. Toddler asks question, give answer/reason, toddler asks why, explain, toddler asks why about your explanation, explain more, toddler then asks his question a different way and repeat.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Homosexuality is immoral and thus, demands discrimination.

What is the utility of homosexuality? None.

Homosexuality is anathema to humanity. Every organism that ever existed on Earth evolved specifically to reproduce to propagate the species.

One has to be truly blind to not see that homosexuality is contrary to humanity.

Realistically...

Mircea
Not at all. Only one ant from a colony reproduces. Only one meerkat in a colony reproduces. Only one bee in a colony reproduces.
In fact if every organism reproduced, the population of every species would explode.

Correcting

JJ

Old 07-10-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
No, the lesbian couple instigated the whole mess by making this a very public battle. Therefore, they were the ones who made Sweet Cakes a PUBLIC target for the haters.
No. Most likely we would have never have heard of this case if the bakers didn't go on a media tour. The couple wanting the cake didn't publicize the case, the bakers did.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Let me try to explain a little more about my prediction Petunia.

It isn't so much the homosexuals getting married that bothers the Religious. It is the government trying to tell them that they have to knowingly do something, something that goes against their beliefs, that will be part of the ceremony and/or celebration of it...and if they don't, they will be legally sanctioned by a fine or shut-down, or some other penalty.

You don't have to "take away anyone's religion" to cause the conflict.
Tell some devout Muslim guy that owns a restaurant "you won't take away his religion", he can keep his Islamic faith...but you LEGALLY DEMAND that he sell pork, or let his wife and daughter go out of the house, not only without proper faith-conforming dress and headscarves, but in shorts and a crop top. Tell him, "It's now THE LAW", and if he doesn't do or allow those things...you will fine him over a hundred thousand dollars or shut him down.
Do you think that since you are "still allowing him to keep his religion"...that he will be okay with those legal requirements?
As of now...the the very great majority of people that have been hassled about their refusal to do things that go against their religious beliefs are people that are nonmilitant. But eventually, they are gonna try to dictate these ordinances to the wrong people...and it will be like a snowball rolling downhill.
I see them getting on the case of some cupcake cooking little Christian couple, "The Little Sisters of the Poor", or some school that has a portrait of Jesus hanging in the hallway. Funny though...I don't see them going into Halal delis that do catering and ask them to cater the SSM reception.
Easy to shove around the little kitten...but it's a whole other thing to take a swat at the big bad tiger.
People will do anything to support or not violate their religious beliefs. Get thrown into a pit of hungry lions, blow themselves up, fight to the death...you name it.
Keep pushing...and I am very sure how it is going to turn out in the end. And it won't be pretty.
I hope I'm wrong...but I don't think I am.
The problem is that not one demanded that the shop offer wedding cakes, they chose to do so. So, it is nothing like going into a Muslim shop and demanding something that they do not offer for sale to anyone.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:29 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
So if you owned a bakery, and someone wanted you to bake a cake promoting pedophilia, you would bake it, right?

Is pedophilia legal ? You know the answer, so what a horrible example .

Quote:
Subject matter is entirely irrelevant. It's about people being forced to participate and be a part of things that deeply offend them, religious or otherwise.
If they're asked to produce something that is legal, that they normally sell, yes they need to provide that. There are segments they can't discriminate. That's the law.

Quote:
Perhaps a black cake maker should also be forced to bake a cake emblazoned with the confederate flag on it.
That's an interesting point. The stars and bars are not an illegal item, so yes, I would believe that's a black cake maker could not discriminate on that basis. It would be interesting to see how such a case would be handled in the law courts.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:34 AM

745 posts, read 801,042 times
Getting back to the OP, here is a good article about WHY these good christians were fined as they were...

Get back to me if you still think it's unfair... these bakers had it coming

Sweet Cakes by Melissa Didn’t Just Deny a Lesbian Couple Service, They Also Doxxed Them and Their Kids

Old 07-10-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Private businesses should not be forced to render service to anyone for any reason. The issue becomes especially thorny when you consider that these owners are being penalized for not participating in something that goes directly against their religion.

And I'm as Atheistic as they come.

Does the bakery offer pro-pedo cakes? IF not then they do not have to make them for anyone. Just lke if the black baker OFFERS confederate flag cakes they must sell them to ayone, but if they do not offer them they don't have to sell then to anyone.

Look, if you offer a white cake with sugar flowers you have to sell that cake to anyone. IF you do not offer cakes with the confederate flag you do not have to sell that cake to anyone.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
So a black bakery owner should be forced to bake a cake emblazoned with the confederate flag or "KKK" on it, right?

They are getting paid to bake a cake, and a cake is a cake is a cake, right?
IF they OFFER confederate flag cakes then they should sell that cake to anyone.

If they DO NOT offer confederate flag cakes then they do not have to sell them to anyone.

Taco bell sells tacos, they have to sell those tacos to anyone that comes in to buy them. Taco bell does not sell big macs, so they do not have to sell them to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality