U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2015, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,332,813 times
Reputation: 1690

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That's rich.

You are an aspiring religious leader yourself! You claim to have a special relationship or contact with The Divine. And you have even managed to attract a small following.

Please spare us the feigned sympathy.
A following... Where do I sign up? MysticPHD.com?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2015, 10:34 PM
 
37,115 posts, read 24,963,118 times
Reputation: 5825
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
A following... Where do I sign up? MysticPHD.com?
LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2015, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Not-a-Theist
3,440 posts, read 1,349,612 times
Reputation: 459
Marx was right on target with Religion is the Opium of the Masses.'

It is a fact all humans are suffering from an inherent existential pain as driven by neural circuits embedded in the DNA/RNA and manifest subliminally as a psychological complex of various degrees and different manifestations in humans.

It is also true religion really works to resolve as a balm for the psychological angst manifesting subliminally from the depth of the human psyche and brain stem. Religion like opium works immediately to resolve the existential and psychological pains.
Religion really works and that is why some believers are willing to pay $$$ and even sacrifice their life for it.
Thus where it works, I don't think the problem of Religious Trauma Syndrome will arise.

There are those who will adopt religions blindly on faith and will not question religions at all. In such cases, RTS may not arise.


As humanity are evolving and the average enlightenment quotient of the individual is increasing, religious people are becoming more aware of the irrationality and evils associated with religions.
But because religions relieves the inherent existential pains, they are caught between being rational or suffer the existential pains.
To resolve the dissonance, many will sacrifice rationality and opt to keep the inherent existential pains at bay. This is why we find many scientists and rational people insist on being religious and are able to live with contradictions and irrationality.

It is a fact humanity is evolving and many are able to give up or avoid the irrationality and evils of religions. This is because the inherent existential pains are not great and thus they are able to rationalize all the way.
The problem with those can rationalize away with the irrationality and evils associated with religions is when the inherent existential pains manifest actively. In this case, these rational people will turn to real opium and other drugs to suppress the inherent existential pain.

I think Religious Trauma Syndrome [RTS] occurs for those who are in the half-way house of being caught into religion and realizing the irrationality and evils of religions [some]. This happen with those who are born, forced, trapped [note apostasy in Islam is death] or conned into an irrational religion [note Buddhism and some others are not irrational religions].
When one is in a position to get out of religion easily and immediately, RTS is not likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2015, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Self explanatory
10,118 posts, read 4,014,454 times
Reputation: 14111
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 08:43 AM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,085,049 times
Reputation: 32197
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
A following... Where do I sign up? MysticPHD.com?
Look for tab that says: Groupies

Package tours to the ashram are available. Followers are encouraged to bring their own beads. Floor pillows are provided on-site. Souvenir t-shirts are available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2015, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,460,866 times
Reputation: 6000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
(Church sign: "A lie doesn't become the truth just because people believe it")
Of course they are referring to the Other religions ... that is to say, the False ones. Special pleading abounds for THEIR beliefs, which are true, by faith, Just Because. And given that it's Full Gospel Church (= charismatic), I guarantee that their beliefs are especially untethered from reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2015, 02:23 PM
 
37,115 posts, read 24,963,118 times
Reputation: 5825
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Look for tab that says: Groupies
Package tours to the ashram are available. Followers are encouraged to bring their own beads. Floor pillows are provided on-site. Souvenir t-shirts are available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2015, 03:18 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,085,049 times
Reputation: 32197
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Mystic Tour 2015

*India
*Big Sur
*Taos
*Sedona
*Stonehenge
*Mount Athos
*C-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2015, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,332,813 times
Reputation: 1690
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2015, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Divided Tribes of America
12,638 posts, read 4,800,694 times
Reputation: 4884
^ you should post that cartoon in the atheist forum joke thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:13 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top