U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 08:24 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,324,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
^ you should post that cartoon in the atheist forum joke thread.
Great idea... I have a few others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 08:55 AM

4,930 posts, read 1,572,398 times
great podcast about this subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQtMUMm7ass

Old 01-30-2018, 11:43 AM

4,559 posts, read 3,675,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Look for tab that says: Groupies

Package tours to the ashram are available. Followers are encouraged to bring their own beads. Floor pillows are provided on-site. Souvenir t-shirts are available.
Sign me up

Old 01-30-2018, 11:57 AM

37,028 posts, read 24,915,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
A following... Where do I sign up? MysticPHD.com?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
LOL!
Quote:
Look for tab that says: Groupies
Package tours to the ashram are available. Followers are encouraged to bring their own beads. Floor pillows are provided on-site. Souvenir t-shirts are available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Mystic Tour 2015

*India
*Big Sur
*Taos
*Sedona
*Stonehenge
*Mount Athos
*C-D
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Sign me up
Thanks for reminding me of that thread, KingCat. It brought back some fond memories. Wonder what Dew and Kat are doing these days.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:13 PM

4,559 posts, read 3,675,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuum View Post
Marx was right on target with Religion is the Opium of the Masses.'

It is a fact humanity is evolving and many are able to give up or avoid the irrationality and evils of religions. This is because the inherent existential pains are not great and thus they are able to rationalize all the way.
The problem with those can rationalize away with the irrationality and evils associated with religions is when the inherent existential pains manifest actively. In this case, these rational people will turn to real opium and other drugs to suppress the inherent existential pain.

I think Religious Trauma Syndrome [RTS] occurs for those who are in the half-way house of being caught into religion and realizing the irrationality and evils of religions [some]. This happen with those who are born, forced, trapped [note apostasy in Islam is death] or conned into an irrational religion [note Buddhism and some others are not irrational religions].
When one is in a position to get out of religion easily and immediately, RTS is not likely.
Good Points !

I found this article which has some good definitions.

I know from my own experience now working in the medical field as well as growing up in a very closed, restricted fundamentalist household that psychology is seen as generally "evil" and those with mental illness (ie CRAZIES) are to be shunned. However, since much of the behavior which we would classify as unhealthy is Already exhibited within the closed religious circles, then the perspective of what constitutes mental illness vs health is skewed by the religious perception !

Kind of like Good and Evil....when Hitler decided on genocide, it was Evil but when GOD chose it, it was Good......

My dad used to say that "all those mentally ill people should all be taken out and shot"

Of course, his church was FULL of mentally ill people but he could not se that. From his perspective, anyone in HIS church was automatically "Good" and "healthy"

When I walked out and publically renounced my membership in the Baptist church ( The time when some fat women grabbed her kid and pulled him away running like lightning was about to strike) I mistakenly thought that I was free

Was I ever wrong

The damage had ALREADY been done without me realizing it.....I had already been conditioned to see the world in black and white, I was already judgemental, and without realizing it, I had no self esteem and no self love...BUT I did have depression.

It was not until years later, in college, when I snuck off to therapy sessions that this was all realized and removed.......It was then that I began to realize that the issues were not just about where I did or did not spend my Sundays...but rather all about my THINKING.

It was only then that I began to truly heal.

Along the way I tried some other religions, which perhaps allowed me to open my mind enough to be where I am now.......But it was not a short road and I did not get there overnight.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,664,370 times
Another article suggests everyone is different, some completely unaffected, they just wake up one morning and decide to leave:

After faith: How I became an ex-Christian - Earshot - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

But the majority would definitely feel something, akin to grief or loss, or even a form of betrayal.
This is especially true if they lose family and friends over it, which is inevitable in the latter.
I certainly refute the claim by born again Christians that when somebody leaves the fold, "they were never a Christian to begin with", this is the ultimate denial of the living history of an individual.
All of these testimonies suggest otherwise.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:59 AM

4,933 posts, read 1,216,983 times
2 years ago when this OP was originally posted I'd have thought this was crazy if I read such an article. Now, with "safe places" on campuses, and the world telling us we're hateful simply for referring to the 6 foot tall "woman" with an adam's apple and 3 days growth of a beard as a man in a dress.

This "tolerance" thing has completely gotten out of control and we're raising a generation of snowflakes that simply cannot handle being told they're wrong, so the result is that everyone else is considered wrong, because they can't handle rejection.

I fear for this country if we ever have to really go to war and actually implement a draft.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:19 PM

3,607 posts, read 1,333,661 times
How about political trauma syndrome, or internet trauma syndrome, or (fill in the blank). If you want to, you could make the case for practically anything. As for this thread, it only seems to be swipe at belief; mocking religion and spiritual thought.

For every one person who has maybe suffered in the name of religion, thousands more have benefitted.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:24 PM

4,933 posts, read 1,216,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
How about political trauma syndrome, or internet trauma syndrome, or (fill in the blank). If you want to, you could make the case for practically anything. As for this thread, it only seems to be swipe at belief; mocking religion and spiritual thought.

For every one person who has maybe suffered in the name of religion, thousands more have benefitted.
Dilly! Dilly!

Old 02-01-2018, 01:35 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,664,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

There are many things that are stressful, or "stressors" that can occur in one's life.
ON that score I agree with you.
This would include moving house/ interstate, getting divorced, getting fired from a job, death of a loved one, etc etc.
The original article, which I have read before this, is looking at how this change in beliefs, causes severe stress in one's life.
But it certainly does not affect everyone, and many have benefited as you point out.
Not everyone that goes to war for the military gets PTSD for instance, as another example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or