U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 11:39 AM

8,774 posts, read 13,662,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Really? Am I the one that started a thread to talk about how religions are traumatizing people? Or am I the one calling anyone "hateful"? Look in the mirror.

Honestly.....take a hard look at the atmosphere around here. It's not the religious folk that are in attack mode and are insulting everyone.
Religion traumatizes people. That is a fact. Don't shoot the messenger. Shoot religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 11:42 AM

8,774 posts, read 13,662,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
How about political trauma syndrome, or internet trauma syndrome, or (fill in the blank). If you want to, you could make the case for practically anything. As for this thread, it only seems to be swipe at belief; mocking religion and spiritual thought.

For every one person who has maybe suffered in the name of religion, thousands more have benefitted.
These "benefits" can be had without faith. It's not worth the damage it has inflicted on society as a whole.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:55 AM

12,279 posts, read 3,907,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Pretty interesting read, and very insightful.

Religious Trauma Syndrome: How some organized religion leads to mental health problems

Some excerpts:
Unfortunately, I have all the experience in the world concerning mental health and Assemblies of God. The thing those people did to me as a child, they should be put in prison, labeled criminals, and abusers of Children, and none of them should every be allowed to teach again, ESPECIALLY to be able to teach children. They would take a child and terrify him, give him gifts that he doesn't have and they continually use the threat of torture that is so bad, it is beyond the imagination of a child. I have often wanted to take them to court for what the Assemblies of God have done to me.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:13 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,233,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Religion traumatizes people. That is a fact. Don't shoot the messenger. Shoot religion.
Religion only traumatizes people to those who hate or devalue it, and those of weak and susceptible mind. That is a fact.

The other side of the coin is religion - or more specifically spirituality - greatly benefitting many lives. I'd rather go with adding and including to life, than narrowing it though rejection of higher ideals/ways/possibilities. Maybe you're just not up to snuff for a higher way of living.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:05 PM

4,613 posts, read 1,134,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
And today's generation is a bunch of snowflakes that have gotten participation ribbons since tee-ball. They don't know how to take it when they are told they aren't wonderful and awesome.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:11 PM

12,418 posts, read 4,670,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Religion only traumatizes people to those who hate or devalue it, and those of weak and susceptible mind. That is a fact.

The other side of the coin is religion - or more specifically spirituality - greatly benefitting many lives. I'd rather go with adding and including to life, than narrowing it though rejection of higher ideals/ways/possibilities. Maybe you're just not up to snuff for a higher way of living.
So I have a “weak and susceptible mind” because I was traumatized by being taught (since young childhood) that I would possibly burn for eternity after death?

Do you care to elaborate?

Old 02-06-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
So I have a “weak and susceptible mind” because I was traumatized by being taught (since young childhood) that I would possibly burn for eternity after death?

Do you have a weak and susceptible mind? You seem pretty sharp to me. I don't see you as being traumatized.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:18 PM

12,418 posts, read 4,670,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And today's generation is a bunch of snowflakes that have gotten participation ribbons since tee-ball. They don't know how to take it when they are told they aren't wonderful and awesome.

Don't shoot the messenger.
The “special snowflake” thing is nothing new. Every cemetery is a monument to the “special snowflake” mentality. Think about what a tremendous waste of space cemeteries are. But no, everyone needs a little monument to themselves to ensure that they will “leave their mark on the world.” The great pyramids of Egypt are the ultimate example of the ”special snowflake” mentality of the kings who wanted to be remembered for eternity.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
The “special snowflake” thing is nothing new. Every cemetery is a monument to the “special snowflake” mentality. Think about what a tremendous waste of space cemeteries are. But no, everyone needs a little monument to themselves to ensure that they will “leave their mark on the world.” The great pyramids of Egypt are the ultimate example of the ”special snowflake” mentality of the kings who wanted to be remembered for eternity.
No argument there. But think about it. I made the statement a few pages back that today's generation has "safe places" at universities. Berkeley rioted because a conservative blogger appeared there. BERKELEY! The place known for free speech! Today's generation has had self-esteem and 'tolerance' drilled into them since they were babies, they can't handle it when someone disagrees with them. I shudder to think what would happen if the US actually went to war and we had to implement a draft. While there are some exceptional young men and women today that are accomplishing great things, I cannot imagine the average millenial entering the military today. There are no safe places in the military.

Likewise, when they get told that they have sinned (like everyone else), they are "traumatized". That is what is meant by a "weak and susceptible mind". You're not that guy. You have demonstrated you're not a weak mind.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:07 PM

12,279 posts, read 3,907,841 times
Quote:

Freak, everything you read about hell are Jewish idioms about the feast of Tabernacles when we are shown who receives the rain of spirit and who doesn't. You are given a seed that you yourself have to raise in the milk of the word. Paul taught his people personally and yet they were not even born again yet because of the fact that they didn't study the law and the prophets enough. Israel was given a marriage contract. but before they ever read the contract, they say,'' I do, I will.''

The bride must study the law and the prophets in order to receive rain on the spiritual seed they are given, but if the seed does not receive the rain as the word falling softly as they read, then they remain babies until such a time comes where they will fully submit to the study of the marriage contract because they are supposedly the bride, and the law is a ketubah.

If you don't watch the appointed visitation days of the master, and you don't learn what the feasts and sacrifices are for, and why you need to know them, that seed of yours will never receive the rain and this is extremely unfortunate. Before a seed can bear fruit and be taken in a harvest, that seed needs the rain, and the person has to pray for that rain in expectation of the day, and they have to know and prepare for that day in earnest just as those first disciples watched the comings and goings and they stayed in earnest prayer right up until the promise was given. The seed will never die, Ever. If the seed doesn't receive the promised rain in the fall, it will never die as it is said,'' Your worm will never die.''

Now we wait upon the second rain, and those who watch and pray for the second rain are the only ones who receive the rain just like the first disciples, but the first disciples were able to share that spirit while the second rain will not be shared with anyone.

A day is appointed that the whole world will see everyone who has received the last promised rain on the seed that they were given, and when the rain falls on the seed, the seed HAS TO DIE.

If you have a seed that will never receive the rain, then it means that your worm will never die, it means that your fire will never be quenched and you will find yourself amongst angels, sons of God, and beings that you will serve, but you will not be the same kind of being. M.O.

Hell doesn't mean you go to some place to be tortured by fire, look around, you are in hell now, but since one man overcame this world to be the first fruit of many fruits to come, we are waiting for a ticket out of this place, to have unlimited power so much that the inner man shines so bright in th east, it's brightness will be seen all the way through the outer man in the west.

Hell is when you are upon this Earth as a servant to those who have become immortal, and who enjoy the reign of kings to come.

Hell is in knowing that you fell here from a higher place and you were given a second chance and now you realize your failure and you want another shot at it. Weeping and gnashing of teeth, and although you are not allowed within the city{A Body}, you are still there without the city with the dogs and the liars, murderers, and idolaters, I mean, if you think somebody is going to hell, then imagine them healthy, so healthy that they may live a thousand years, and then imagine all the others who prayed for the rain of Sukkot and received that rain. A thousand years seems like a lot, but there is an end, but there is no end to the sons of God.

Everyone will stand in the flames, it is whether or not you are able to live AND stand in the flames.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 02-06-2018 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or