U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 05:16 AM

10,372 posts, read 3,977,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
If it traumatizes less people than parents, siblings, etc....it still traumatizes, doesn't it? I could argue that religious people are doing the abusing, if that's what you prefer.
so does alcohol. In fact, I would say addicts and adult child of abuse cause far more harm than religions. I think they use religion, but religion is not the root cause.

for me, Its not about what I prefer. Its about what is actually going on and addressing the problem. What I prefer has no bearing on how the universe works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 11:06 AM

8,778 posts, read 13,671,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
so does alcohol. In fact, I would say addicts and adult child of abuse cause far more harm than religions. I think they use religion, but religion is not the root cause.
So, you're arguing that x is worse than y. That's a whole other discussion, isn't it? I'm saying y causes trauma, period. I don't care which is worse. It's trauma.

And religion is the root cause. It's a belief system upon which people base their entire existence. When it falls apart, or when they're ex-communicated, the trauma begins. You want to argue that it doesn't have arms and legs and breathe oxygen so it can't hurt people. Come on. Countless have died because of religion through war, suicide or murderous religious/cultural practices. The list is quite long.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:17 AM

1,840 posts, read 609,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So why do you continue to insult and attempt to traumatize others?
As a former Christian and now atheist, I can attest to the traumatization associated with the religion. All my life I questioned my salvation. I feared hell. “Was I a rich man?” By worldly standards I and likely you are. How sure are you that you are saved? “ Many will call my name but I never knew them”. Again, just how sure are you? Even after realizing how pathetic Christianity is I still questioned my chances of its immoral hell. As time goes on I become more comfortable with my reasoned, logical decision to leave the religion. Maybe someday you will have the courage to question your religion and follow honest reasoning.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
So why do you continue to insult and attempt to traumatize others?
You'll live.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:37 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,145,432 times
Quote:
You'll live.
How loving of you.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
As a former Christian and now atheist, I can attest to the traumatization associated with the religion. All my life I questioned my salvation. I feared hell. “Was I a rich man?” By worldly standards I and likely you are. How sure are you that you are saved? “ Many will call my name but I never knew them”. Again, just how sure are you? Even after realizing how pathetic Christianity is I still questioned my chances of its immoral hell. As time goes on I become more comfortable with my reasoned, logical decision to leave the religion. Maybe someday you will have the courage to question your religion and follow honest reasoning.
You SHOULD fear hell. God will judge sinners. Sticking your head in the sand and pretending it doesn't exist will not fix anything any more than turning the radio up on the car stereo fixes the noise in the engine.

And no--it's not immoral or wrong to tell people that they need to get right with God any more than it is to tell a man he needs to get his prostrate checked. You're not doing anyone any favors.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
How loving of you.
Ah, yes, the compulsory love bullsh|t. I don't love you. And your shaming is lost on me. You realize you actually have to walk the walk, yes?

Old 02-07-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Ah, yes, the compulsory love bullsh|t. I don't love you. And your shaming is lost on me. You realize you actually have to walk the walk, yes?
I'm just saying, if you're going to act like you're taking the moral high ground, it would be interesting for you to walk the walk, as you say.

As for me? I don't hate you. I don't hate anyone here. I've simply stated a fact -- that this current generation is not emotionally stable, and that's because of the way we've been parenting them. I can't really blame them -- it's all they've been taught.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:20 PM

14,937 posts, read 6,716,235 times
When you need a wake up call it is not loving to sing a lullaby.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:34 PM

36,823 posts, read 24,713,467 times
Quote:
You SHOULD fear hell. God will judge sinners. Sticking your head in the sand and pretending it doesn't exist will not fix anything any more than turning the radio up on the car stereo fixes the noise in the engine.

And no--it's not immoral or wrong to tell people that they need to get right with God any more than it is to tell a man he needs to get his prostate checked. You're not doing anyone any favors.
To quote YOU, BaptistFundie:

Quote:
How loving of you.
Why do you not see the inherent contradiction between a loving God and a pointless and grotesque eternal torment? It is the epitome of a Godfather offer: Love me or else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or