Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 03:24 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times

Advertisements

Pretty interesting read, and very insightful.

Religious Trauma Syndrome: How some organized religion leads to mental health problems

Some excerpts:

Quote:
Dr. Marlene Winell is a human development consultant in the San Francisco Area. She is also the daughter of Pentecostal missionaries. This combination has given her work an unusual focus. For the past twenty years she has counseled men and women in recovery from various forms of fundamentalist religion including the Assemblies of God denomination in which she was raised. Winell is the author of Leaving the Fold – A Guide for Former Fundamentalists and Others Leaving their Religion, written during her years of private practice in psychology. Over the years, Winell has provided assistance to clients whose religious experiences were even more damaging than mine. Some of them are people whose psychological symptoms weren’t just exacerbated by their religion, but actually caused by it.

Emotional and mental treatment in authoritarian religious groups also can be damaging because of 1) toxic teachings like eternal damnation or original sin 2) religious practices or mindset, such as punishment, black and white thinking, or sexual guilt, and 3) neglect that prevents a person from having the information or opportunities to develop normally.

Winell: Religion causes trauma when it is highly controlling and prevents people from thinking for themselves and trusting their own feelings. Groups that demand obedience and conformity produce fear, not love and growth. With constant judgment of self and others, people become alienated from themselves, each other, and the world. Religion in its worst forms causes separation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 03:27 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Indeed, very interesting.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
The "toxic teachings" are evident here daily. And we've a lot of testimony from recovering victims.

Fundamentalism causes deep wounds to the spirit.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:02 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,459 times
A good website for those leaving faith and religion. All religious faiths in my opinion are toxic to some degree. All are supernatural nonsense to some level also.

Recovering From Religion

Old 07-06-2015, 06:11 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
I had this for years. The recovery process is long and difficult.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:18 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I had this for years. The recovery process is long and difficult.
This is so sad, I am so sorry you had to endure that, Kat. Religious leaders have a lot to answer for, I'm afraid.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:20 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is so sad, I am so sorry you had to endure that, Kat. Religious leaders have a lot to answer for, I'm afraid.
Thanks Mystic. The sad part is that to recover you have to come out of religion altogether to see it. Some go back to it stronger but I abandoned it altogether and haven't been happier.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:21 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
I went through about 2 years of that. Thanks mom and dad.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:26 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Rawstory.com? Really?

Old 07-06-2015, 06:34 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times
I was fortunate in that I was never vulnerable to shame / blame / condemnation and even as a small child had a relatively good ability to separate fantasy from reality enough at least not to be terrified. So I never was terrified at tales of the rapture or afraid I was going to hell (given that I was saved, it just wasn't my issue; it was only later that I realized how callous that was toward my fellow humans and what a free pass, morally speaking, I was giving to god).

But I have certainly known plenty of people who have suffered in this fashion, even before leaving the faith. They were never good enough, always doubting their salvation because they couldn't overcome "sin" or, more commonly, because they just didn't get sufficient goose bumps about "the things of god". Some of them would compulsively answer any and all altar calls "just in case", hoping that their feelings would line up with their faith or they would experience the promised "new creation" that they were supposed to become. Or so that they could have the cathartic conversion experience that others sometimes described.

I was also very lucky in that I didn't feel trapped or confined in the faith; it worked fine for me, until it didn't. And when it finally quit working for me, I was into my adult life, and did not culminate in active apostasy if you will, until my parents were dead ... and I lived far from my extended family as well. So the transition was relatively easy. Lastly my wife at the time, a Christian, was one of those rare Christians who was not threatened by my change of heart, and could still respect and love me.

And yet despite that because of all this, all my stars were perfectly aligned, you might say ... deconversion is still a lot of work, soul-searching, adaptation, and careful thought. And there's a another source of guilt I DID have to deal with ... the years I squandered with religious foolishness, the effectiveness I lost, the dumb decisions I made. The best years of my life were, basically, Not My Proudest Moment. There are many "gifts that keep on giving" from that time in my life. For example, my misguided faith caused me to marry my first wife, a "good Christian girl" who was incapable of being a real wife or mother due to eventually diagnosed mental illness. This took its toll on my two children, especially my son, and I deal with those issues all these decades later, and always will have to.

Of course, religion / faith are not the sole source of Stoopid in the world ... and I must cut myself slack, as I am as human as anyone else. It is hard though in the quiet of the night sometimes to wonder what might have been. I have often reflected how untrue the Bible verse "faith maketh not ashamed" is. No wonder so many evangelicals are so deliberately blinkered and deeply invested in their beliefs. It is not easy to admit you're THAT wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality