Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 03:15 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Patriotism is the last bastion of a scoundrel, so they say. Thank goodness here in the UK we don't go in for flag waving like those in the US. It would appear they have the need to as they are unsure of their position on the planet, unlike us in the UK!
You mean like how you treat the Queen? Or the fact that you even have a Queen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 03:19 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
In recent months the US government has made it clear that they are not really interested in protecting religious freedoms. I can see the reason that a person would be discouraged and fly the US flag below the Christian flag.
Having said that, we do live in the US, and I think that I would respect the US Flag etiquette. In my church we have both displayed in accordance with proper etiquette.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
"In recent months the US government has made it clear that they are not really interested in protecting religious freedoms."
What specific religious freedom (you know, something mentioned in some Christian denomination's creed statement of faith) was protected last year that is not protected now?
You will just annoy, Vizio with such questions, Mensaguy . . . and he will put YOU on ignore as he has me. The freedom he is upset about is the freedom to discriminate in business. Of course, we all know that religious freedom is a PERSONAL freedom . . . NOT a business one.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
"In recent months the US government has made it clear that they are not really interested in protecting religious freedoms."

What specific religious freedom (you know, something mentioned in some Christian denomination's crede statement of faith) was protected last year that is not protected now?
For starters, Obama has attempted to walk on employer's rights regarding buying drugs they have moral opposition to. Recently a pastor in Vermont Then, we have things like the recent SSM ruling. A pastor was sentenced to 1 year in jail in Vermont for refusing to do a same sex wedding. Besides those things, in general, under the Obama administration we've seen an increase in secularism and increased hostility toward Christianity.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
A pastor was sentenced to 1 year in jail in Vermont for refusing to do a same sex wedding.
Got a link to that?

Old 07-16-2015, 03:53 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
I think Churches should lose their tax exempt status. Then they should incorporate and become people. Other than that, I do not listen to churches.

This church is being disrespectful to every person who pays taxes, so they are not taxed.

I think they should pay taxes like I pay taxes. They have an advantage. I think we should level the playing field.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Got a link to that?
Google is your friend.

Christian Pastor In Vermont Sentenced To One Year In Prison After Refusing To Marry Gay Couple - NBC

Old 07-16-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I think Churches should lose their tax exempt status. Then they should incorporate and become people. Other than that, I do not listen to churches.

This church is being disrespectful to every person who pays taxes, so they are not taxed.

I think they should pay taxes like I pay taxes. They have an advantage. I think we should level the playing field.
That would be an example of an anti-Christian attitude I referred to.

Fact of the matter is, I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. In small towns, churches are a huge part of society. In a small town if you lose the school, the town suffers greatly. If the town loses the church then, it dies. Fact is, my church is a small builiding that was built in 1920. It's not really a fancy building, but on paper, the "replacement cost" is probably $400k. To pay taxes on that would hurt us. Not to mention that if people lost a tax deduction, all charities from churches to the Red Cross would suffer.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:09 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Thanks for providing the link to show that this isn't quite what it seems.

"But the church is also registered as a for-profit business and city officials said that means the owners must comply with state and federal regulations."

Old 07-16-2015, 04:10 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Pastors Fly Christian Flags Above U.S. Flag to Start "God Before Government" Campaign - World Religion News

Guess they are not patriots after all.

Wonder how many other laws they are willing to break?

So because you live in said country, I have to show respect for the country over my faith? Whatever I believe comes second? I don't think so screw Uncle Sam. Screw any government in ANY nation in the world who feels that way.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Thanks for providing the link to show that this isn't quite what it seems.

"But the church is also registered as a for-profit business and city officials said that means the owners must comply with state and federal regulations."
"But the....." what? That's right....it's a CHURCH! So yes, we have the government getting involved, telling churches what to do and who to marry.

It's only a matter of time before we get told by the government we marry who they tell us to if we want to be non-profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality