Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 07:20 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Likely because its too weighted down with silly questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Gotta give you that one texdav
It's not a silly question at all. I'm often told that consciousness is something non-physical or "spiritual" and yet my consciousness remains on earth, as if it were affected by gravity (like any other mass).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 07:25 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Traditionally, the soul is considered to be non-material. And yet, my soul is affected by gravity, as if it had mass. Obviously, my consciousness is still here on earth band not floating out in space (even if my detractors may occasionally beg to differ).

What's going on here? Why hasn't my massless soul already floated off into outer space, unaffected by gravity?
I don't want to waste my time sparring with theists over something that is not their position. Their claim, when pressed about stuff like this, is that the soul (or spirit, the terms are rather hazily defined and there is some debate concerning the exact relation of the two) -- or at any rate the supernatural / immaterial aspect they claim humans possess, finds its expression in the physical body during life but they do not specifically claim that it's physically located in the body or anywhere, really. One does not search for it with X-Rays. It's a claim that's kept carefully abstract and nonspecific lest it be shown for the nonsense that it actually is, such as by someone attempting to weigh a body before / during / after death and still finding a negligible "mixed" weight change that, even if its not pure "noise", could have a dozen far less fanciful explanations than that it's a soul or some material tether of a soul.

Soul, spirit, life-force, elan vital and the like are all a sort of ineffable je ne sais quoi that is supposed to be a magical ingredient that separates life from non-life. It is one of the few remaining gaps for gods to hide in, given that science hasn't yet determined beyond the early hypothetical phase of informed speculation how life arose originally. Also it's sustained by our subjective "uncanny valley" reaction to things that don't quite look like living persons ... things like corpses, computer generated imagery of humans, and human-like robots. Our evolved ability to identify people like us and our fellow tribal members has tricked us into thinking that some special quality of the living must depart and persist separately upon death.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
It's not a silly question at all. I'm often told that consciousness is something non-physical or "spiritual" and yet my consciousness remains on earth, as if it were affected by gravity (like any other mass).
Yeah but they're talking about magic ... it doesn't have to obey physical laws.

Besides there are all sorts of pseduoscientific theories about discarnate consciousness, such as that consciousness has no particular location in "this reality" but that the brain acts as a transceiver for it.

Mosts theists and religionists will (with some justification) just tell you that you are decrying something that they don't claim. Most wouldn't suggest that spirit has mass or physical location as properties and would feel no need to defend such a notion.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:33 AM

A better question IMO is if "supernatural" is "beyond nature" then how logically can we even discuss the supernatural, including the soul? We are creatures of the natural world, with 5 natural senses. As soon as we can perceive anything outside of nature, by definition that thing is now PART of nature and no longer supernatural.

We inherently can have no information or even useful interest in what is outside of nature, time, etc., and anything that actually penetrates the natural world (such as an incarnate god) is no longer apart from it, but part OF it.

In other words, "supernatural" is a useless and logically unsupportable concept. That takes care of spirit and a whole lot of other stuff.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:41 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
I wouldn't base a disbelief on this line of logic freak. There are massless particles that are effected by gravity. And there is no reason it has to be massless. so it kinda kills the line of logic imho. Its more that they have it wrong as taught than it wouldn't float away kinda thing.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:50 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
A better question IMO is if "supernatural" is "beyond nature" then how logically can we even discuss the supernatural, including the soul? We are creatures of the natural world, with 5 natural senses. As soon as we can perceive anything outside of nature, by definition that thing is now PART of nature and no longer supernatural.

We inherently can have no information or even useful interest in what is outside of nature, time, etc., and anything that actually penetrates the natural world (such as an incarnate god) is no longer apart from it, but part OF it.

In other words, "supernatural" is a useless and logically unsupportable concept. That takes care of spirit and a whole lot of other stuff.
it's an old definition. It means "beyond what we know" more than "beyond what we can know". But since when do some people let knowledge statements ever get in the way of their personal belief statements for anyway.

I personally never let facts get in the way of my opinions.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:33 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Oh, come on.....a little humor is a good thing. It was a cute pun.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:33 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
The soul is anchored to the body,its the body that is influenced by gravity, when you die your soul is released from being trapped in the body and then will be free to defy gravity.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:37 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The soul is anchored to the body,its the body that is influenced by gravity, when you die your soul is released from being trapped in the body and then will be free to defy gravity.

So it could be caught as it's leaving the body if the corpse was surrounded by a tent or a box or something?

Old 07-22-2015, 08:44 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
So it could be caught as it's leaving the body if the corpse was surrounded by a tent or a box or something?
The soul seems to behave much like a volume of gas originating from the body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality