Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:32 AM

689 posts, read 494,405 times

Advertisements

If science had actually found any evidence to support the existence of a deity it would have been headlines news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 06:36 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
If science had actually found any evidence to support the existence of a deity it would have been headlines news!
It was!

Vizio read it on a slick blog. Or Mr. Slick. Or slippery. Or something.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:57 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutennis View Post
This view is just a view, nothing more than declaration that has never been demonstrated.
I think you just misunderstand Hawking...

Old 07-28-2015, 12:58 PM

380 posts, read 201,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I think you just misunderstand Hawking...
I'm not talking about Hawking.
I'm talking about view of Fraser Watts.

If this

Quote:
a creator God provides a reasonable and credible explanation of why there is a universe, and ... it is somewhat more likely that there is a God than that there is not.
is what Fraser Watts said, then it is just his unsubstantiated opinion, nothing more and can safely disregarded.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:52 AM

519 posts, read 776,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Here is a modern day physicists and he hits the nail on the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew_cNONhhKI
Thanks for this. I'd never heard of this guy before.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:47 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Yes. That is a good talk. Not only has science NOT 'discovered' (proven, substantiated) the God -claim, but there are good reasons coming out why - though 'We Don't Know' is the logically correct response to Cosmic origins questions - there is good evidence or reasons as to why Goddunnit is a less plausible or viable explanation. My particular response to the 'Goldilocks' argument (the solar system and earth was made 'Just Right' so that we cold live here) is that we needed two major extinctions (Triassic and Cretaceous) and some minor ones plus drought in the African savannah and an ice age that removed the Neanderthals and damn' near removed us to produce the human species we have now. That is not the work of a Creator, but of natural unplanned processes.

And the idea is largely based on a false one of humans being the intended result. we are not. We are descended from mammals through the primate line. Without the Cretaceous extinction, the intelligent life -form could have been descended from Veloceraptors.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-30-2015 at 04:07 AM..

Old 07-30-2015, 06:26 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
What do you have against intelligent velociraptors?

Old 07-30-2015, 07:09 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I, ma dino racist.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:25 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The unintelligent ones are dangerous enough.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:34 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yes. That is a good talk. Not only has science NOT 'discovered' (proven, substantiated) the God -claim, but there are good reasons coming out why - though 'We Don't Know' is the logically correct response to Cosmic origins questions - there is good evidence or reasons as to why Goddunnit is a less plausible or viable explanation. My particular response to the 'Goldilocks' argument (the solar system and earth was made 'Just Right' so that we cold live here) is that we needed two major extinctions (Triassic and Cretaceous) and some minor ones plus drought in the African savannah and an ice age that removed the Neanderthals and damn' near removed us to produce the human species we have now. That is not the work of a Creator, but of natural unplanned processes.

And the idea is largely based on a false one of humans being the intended result. we are not. We are descended from mammals through the primate line. Without the Cretaceous extinction, the intelligent life -form could have been descended from Veloceraptors.
this is why I started that "list". This post is 1/2 a truth, as most belief systems rely on them; I understand its deployment. Although I am not totally on board with it. "natural unplanned process", that's a blind faith statement. And although I will not dismantle for the theist, because I am not one, it can easily be done. I am not going to explain an atheist view that's is not anti-religion because it doesn't matter. It's one belief system at war with another belief system at that point. And "facts" become very selective for that sect of atheism.

Also, the premise that "humans" are the reason for the universe is such a short sighted fundy theist view I don't know why you would use that against all people of faith. That like grouping all USA's black population as "bad" because a few attack store owners and then shoot cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality