Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,373,415 times

Advertisements

Several Mayans that I have personally spoken with told me that on that date they will be at the sacred places (pyramids). But then, they're there every year on December 21st.

One Mayan guide I questioned about what was going to happen when the calendar "ended" in 2012 told me the calendar was going to "end". And he gave me a wink and a bottle of water for my intelligent question.

But, as I'm sure others have mentioned in this thread that I haven't yet read, the calendar doesn't actually end. It just recycles like the odometer of a car reaching 99,999 miles kind of thing.

But, I've communicated with a retired professor who is possibly the world's foremost expert on ancient calendars and he told me that it's not only the Mayan calendar that marks a great event of some kind to happen in 2012, several other ancient calendars do as well.

So, live right, always be prepared, and it's something to look forward to - again.

FoxNews.com recently carried an article on the matter. As I recall it's about a Mayan elder making light of the stories that some end time thing is going to happen in 2012.

Mayan Year 2012 Stirs Doomsday Theories - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:01 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,054,535 times
Odd that the woo woos always need to go outside their book of myths and into other cultures to attempt to validate their book of myths.

I guess they have run out of excuses/examples for all their book's phailed prophesies of the second coming et al.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,359,501 times
got the fins snorkle and mask in the closet ready to go.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:07 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,054,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
got the fins snorkle and mask in the closet ready to go.
Why do you need that for cloud surfin' with jesus?

Old 10-24-2009, 08:05 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,577,167 times
Actually, the Mayan calendar predicts the end of the current world cycle on a date that corresponds to December 23, 2012--not the 21st. So rejoice; you have two additional days to enjoy!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:49 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,660,632 times
Looks like a cool movie.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:51 AM

208 posts, read 476,106 times
We humans love a good scare, don’t we? Remember Y2K? All the computers in the world were supposed to do horrible things, banks were going to topple, governments who depended on PCs for their defense systems would vaporize, and The Osmands threatened to come back to prime time TV.
Well, as we all know, none of it happened, although there have been a few sightings of Donnie and Marie. It turns out there were more problems with Windows Vista than with Y2K. But that didn’t stop us from a good scare, did it?
Fast forward to now. We’re on the precipice of the end of days: December 21, 2012. That’s when the cognoscenti are saying that the world, as we know it, will end. Right?

Guess again. There’s some good news for a change. It’s not going to happen. But we’re humans… we won’t let a little thing like “not gonna happen” spoil our fun with a good scare now, are we? There’s money to be made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullenite View Post
We humans love a good scare, don’t we? Remember Y2K? All the computers in the world were supposed to do horrible things, banks were going to topple, governments who depended on PCs for their defense systems would vaporize, and The Osmands threatened to come back to prime time TV.
Well, as we all know, none of it happened, although there have been a few sightings of Donnie and Marie. It turns out there were more problems with Windows Vista than with Y2K. But that didn’t stop us from a good scare, did it?
Fast forward to now. We’re on the precipice of the end of days: December 21, 2012. That’s when the cognoscenti are saying that the world, as we know it, will end. Right?

Guess again. There’s some good news for a change. It’s not going to happen. But we’re humans… we won’t let a little thing like “not gonna happen” spoil our fun with a good scare now, are we? There’s money to be made!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But a fix for Y2K had been invented and that's why the world didn't end. Besides, good money was made by those who created and sold that software, so it's a good thing it didn't.

I do believe though that we are in the last days when we can expect, if bible prophecies prove to be correct, to see more and more tumultuous events happen with or without Al Gore et al. It's always good to be prepared for disasters as well as one can prudently be, including a few week's extra food in the home...

Old 10-24-2009, 11:05 AM

33,518 posts, read 37,106,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
But a fix for Y2K had been invented and that's why the world didn't end. Besides, good money was made by those who created and sold that software, so it's a good thing it didn't.

I do believe though that we are in the last days when we can expect, if bible prophecies prove to be correct, to see more and more tumultuous events happen with or without Al Gore et al. It's always good to be prepared for disasters as well as one can prudently be, including a few week's extra food in the home...
You mean that Mormons believe in this end of days foolishness too?...By the way there was no real "fix" invented for Y2K It was just a 100 billion dollar scam that took advantage of the paranoia that permeates folks in the US....You can thank your friendly news media for that little expense.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You mean that Mormons believe in this end of days foolishness too?....
Most Mormons are probably familiar with prophecies written in the books of the Bible and other scriptures and with the fact that they almost invariably do happen. There are many yet unfulfilled prophecies in the scriptures that signs of the times indicate are close to being fulfilled, and it's not going to be pleasant for everyone. That's why I suggest being prepared as best one can.

The Mayan 2012 prediction isn't in any scriptures that I am aware of though...

(You sure do beat yourself about the face a lot without fear, must leave bruises?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality