Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well, Nostradamus could predict the end of the world also, and he's not around either.

But the world still is.

Who's doing better: Nostradamus or the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 12:06 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
Some scientists predict this might cause what they call, a "polar shift," which is theorized as an event where earth's poles (north and south) exchange places OR pulled back and then snapped back into place creating a violent upturn of the entire planet.
I've heard of the 2012 event in more than one context, from the usual round of books claiming that 'the Earth will shift to a higher energy plane' (if anyone has any idea what that means, let me know, will ya? ) to the 'polar shift' view of events.

A CBC Radio science program went over the possibilities of a 'polar shift' and came to the following conclusion:

A 'polar shift' such as the one seen in 'The Day After Tomorrow' (with catastrophic floods, earthquakes, birds crashing into things, etc) would take about ten thousand years to fully occur; there would be little to no danger, overall, from changing weather patterns, magnetic fields, or solar/space radiation.

Personally, I'm eager to see just what *does* happen.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:27 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
But the world still is.

Who's doing better: Nostradamus or the world?
well now that would depend on who's point of view it's coming from.Nostradamus is not here to see his predictions come true and the world is,personally I think Nostradamus is better off because of that...

Old 01-25-2008, 12:49 PM

444 posts, read 1,211,838 times
Default Solar calendars exhist!

The Fremont culture people also used Rock art to notate dates of celestial events. They painted Orion on a wall in a shelter that the solstices and equinox align to figurations or features. Those people vanished in about 1392 AD, without a trace.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:12 PM

131 posts, read 312,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Like any other doomsday prophecy, I think it's interesting, but not really something to worry about. Nobody can predict the future. Besides, their calendar had to end sometime...imagine how tired their calendar-makers were, working that far in advance!
^ i agree. There was a program on a while ago called 'the end of the world cult' they all believe the world is going to end on...well, last december actually.
Im sure we will all be fine. and if not, o well...it's not like we are going to regret not living a fuller life towards the end..because...well...we will all just be dead.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:38 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,689 times
I was flipping thru the channels yesterday and of all people, Jack van impee is now selling a book on the theory. They think the world is going to end around that time. I find it very interesting that he is suppose to be a man of god but he believes in a mayan calendar. The problem is that inside the christian community ignorance is accepted to much. Yesterday John hagee was on tv telling people that you do not need to have knowledge about your faith you just have to do what is asked of you. So this shows the state of the church.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:16 AM

206 posts, read 578,266 times
This is somewhat interesting, though I am having trouble finding evidence for some of the bolder claims made in this thread:

Namely:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja
I have to agree with this post. There have been indigenous cultures across the globe, in every corner of the world, including Africa, North America, and Australia, whose ancient teachings and traditions mark the same point in time, the year 2012. These teaching have been around for hundreds of years, thousands of years. I have always found that similarity remarkable.
Even the 2012 "end times" variety sites didn't seem to list anything but the Mayan calendar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina
The I Ching, an ancient book of prophesy also predicts 2012 as the end. Curious coincedence.
The closest thing I could find was this:

Novelty theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It isn't exactly what I would call convincing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum
actually yes they did,they knew exactly the day month and year that they would show up and knew exactly what they would look like,their only problem is that they thought they were gods not conquerors.
I didn't find much here. In fact, the best I could find was a children's book:

Daily Life in Ancient and Modern ... - Google Book Search

I did however find this:

Quote:
It has been widely believed that the Aztec Emperor Moctezuma II initially believed the landing of Hernán Cortés in 1521 to be Quetzalcoatl's return. This has been questioned by many ethnohistorians (e.g. Matthew Restall 2001) who argue that the Quetzalcoatl-Cortés connection is asserted in no documents created independently of post-Conquest Spanish influence, and that there is little proof of a pre-Hispanic belief in Quetzalcoatl's return. Most documents expounding this theory are of entirely Spanish origin, such as Cortés's letters to Charles V of Spain, in which Cortés goes to great pains to present the naïve gullibility of the Mexicans in general as a great aid in his conquest of Mexico.
Quetzalcoatl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

===============

Also, when I did a little digging into the various sites, I noticed that there were a lot of references to things like astrology, extraterrestrials, and unsupported assertions like:

Quote:
Thousands of years ago humankind had attained a high-level of technological achievement. They understood laws of nature that are unknown to us today. They explored Antarctica and mapped the entire globe. They made monuments that we would have difficulty recreating with our modern techniques and equipment...
Then they seem eager to sell you books and things like meditative power crystals.

Suffice to say, I find none of this particularly convincing.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:28 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRiedl View Post
This is somewhat interesting, though I am having trouble finding evidence for some of the bolder claims made in this thread:

Suffice to say, I find none of this particularly convincing.
So if it's not in Wikipedia or on the Internet, then it can't be true?
That's kind of scary right there.
Sort of like the flip side of "I saw it on TV" or "I read it in the National Enquirer" therefore it must be true.
Yikes.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:48 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,689 times
Jack van impe dvd:
https://ww2.micahtek.com/nexolive/nS...TOKEN=44863557

Interesting articles:
Why 2012? (broken link)

Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
The Mayan Calendar ends on that date.
Maybe they just got tired of adding to the calender and were going to finish later, but then the Europeans came, and they got busy with other, more pressing matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality