U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-25-2008, 01:35 AM

1,368 posts, read 4,271,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
North Carolina, I do appreciate you quoting the Bible and the book of Genesis, but if I may be permitted, the statement that you just made would cause me to thank that your God is both male and female, how is that possible? Mind you this is just an innocent question.
My response to this is that god cannot be male or female, as both are 'incomplete' and god, by definition is a complete, autonomous being. Aka, god is Asexual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Things like this are just mumbo-jumbo that can't be explained with thoughts.
One of the major barriers to a discussion is that the believers do not use their minds to formulate their opinions, but merely repeat (like tape recorders) the bible verses they have memorized.
Religion is full of metaphors and various forms of figurative language which explain nothing. In this case, words like "reflections" and "glory".
As others have mentioned, 'god' is a being beyond our human comprehension. I have not personally witnessed enough evidence to sway me into believing that a 'god' does or doesn't exist, and so I claim myself as agnostic.

If god wrote the bible (a discussion for another time), then the bible itself would be beyond our full comprehension.

Ptsum, I'd tend to agree with you, that god is a creation of our own accord. My favorite response to this is:

"God created man in his own image, and man, being a gentleman, returned the favor."

Mark Twain

And I think it adds to what you're saying there. Because the full idea of 'god' is beyond our comprehension, we work with what we can comprehend. We cannot fully comprehend the concept of infinite. Love, knowledge or power in an infinite form we cannot understand. So, we rationalize, and believe in people that we believe have a better grasp of god, our pastors, priests, holy men, shamans, whatever... and we use this as a tool for our own humanity, to help ourselves live better lives.

At least, that is my belief as to the intent, of creating god was.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 02:26 AM

129 posts, read 211,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowlett mom View Post
I believe people who believe in God are happier and if we die and nothing happens but we become dust, we have probably led better more productive lives.
i think quite the opposite. I think those who believe in God (for arguments sake saying there is no god) waste a lot of there lives.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:27 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,241,516 times
Quote:
North Carolina, I do appreciate you quoting the Bible and the book of Genesis, but if I may be permitted, the statement that you just made would cause me to thank that your God is both male and female, how is that possible? Mind you this is just an innocent question.
Good question! From a Christian perspective Jesus addressed the same thing:

Mat 22:24 “Teacher,” they said, “Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and have children for him.

Mat 22:25 Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother.

Mat 22:26 The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh.

Mat 22:27 Finally, the woman died.

Mat 22:28 Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?”

Mat 22:29 Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.

Mat 22:30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

To answer the OP, I do not believe the premise. I believe that God created mankind, and made them "male and female". I'm not sure what else to say to that.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:28 AM

141 posts, read 503,419 times
I'm not sure how you have wasted a lot of your life by believing in God. Possibly if you spend a good chunk of your day trying to convert otheres instead of just living your own life and being a good person, then maybe.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:03 AM

13,040 posts, read 14,209,812 times
That sums up exactly how I feel about god/religion.
We have created god/gods/spirits/and other supernatural beings in order to make sense of a vast universe which let's face it, is quite a big concept to grasp.

Since the Dawn of time, equipped with a "larger" ( intellectually) brain than other creatures we have had a need to question everything around us and when answers were not forthcoming, we invented something bigger than us. Something which would explain the Sun, Moon and the Stars, life, death, birth, and gave a modicum of sense to our being.

I think we have always asked ourselves what our place on earth was and what life meant and was all about.

Those questions did not just come up with Greek Philosophers, I believe they are innate to our being.

God also was needed to give people comfort and succour in hard times, to explain things like death and give it a greater meaning. People find it hard to accept that you are born, you live and you die.
They need more so they created an explanation which to them made more sense and made them feel better.

It is there to be reassuring to some, the give them a sense of belonging and of course to give them the superior sense that they and only they worship the right god.

We have created gods in our image in a way ( as surprisingly gods around the world are all different according to cultures) and yet given him attributes of "superman" proportions so respect and worship are paramount to religion.

I am glad in a way as it does bring joy and relief to people but the humanist in me, finds it sad that we need to turn to such things in times of crisis or intellectual puzzlement and bewilderment.

To me trying to make sense of the Universe in a rational, and scientific way, trying to question and challenge perceived wisdom , pushing the boundaries of human knowledge using logic, and rigorous methods is a much better way to deal with the complexity and terrifyingly awesome beauty of our deep and mysterious world.

Some prefer to believe that it is all due to one omniscient , omnipotent supernatural creature in the ether.

I personally see no difference between Neanderthals and modern humans in terms of their need for some form of spirituality.
People were scared and baffled before and so they are now.

Darkness is darkness , fear of death and losing loved ones for eternity, the big questions are still the same as far as our minds are concerned, whether you lived at the mouth of a cave in the Dordogne 30000 years ago painting caves or in suburban Dallas today .

Different strokes for different people though, ans if it makes people happy and does not infringe on other people's rights then great.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:22 AM

6,558 posts, read 8,204,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
We have created god/gods/spirits/and other supernatural beings in order to make sense of a vast universe which let's face it, is quite a big concept to grasp.
Fantastic! I wish I could give you some rep points for that one. I agree with everything you said. I am also referring to your entire post not just the quoted section.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 AM

12,346 posts, read 14,142,058 times
I believe that God created man..Man then went out of the way to create a God who never had a beginning in the first place. To suit himself, man "created" a God in mans image, serving mans needs...

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-25-2008 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Content

Old 01-25-2008, 07:47 AM

8,156 posts, read 12,241,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

Oh yea? Prove it.

I rest my case.

(THINK about that thought for minute before you let your fingers fly...)

Old 01-25-2008, 08:34 AM

9,971 posts, read 6,175,063 times
Quote:
And now we come to the second half of the statement. The first half was, God didn't create man,Man created god, second-half of statement, To explain the unexplained, the superstition.

So let's hear your thoughts and opinions on this, but please let's remember, be respectful of others opinions and thoughts.
okay, some of you may have missed this because it was between two large posts, so here's the full statement above. Now I'm not asking for anybody to prove the existence of God or not, the only thing that's been asked is for your opinion about the statement in a respectful manner, thank you.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:44 AM

9,971 posts, read 6,175,063 times
I do think that having read most of these answers, that Mooseketee has come the closest in explaining the statement. Now I know most of you may disagree with me on this, but the whole idea behind this is to get you to think, to use your mind in an uninhibited way, think outside the box, or to put it other terms, think outside the book, whichever one you may believe in, and as always, be respectful of others opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality