U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:04 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,627,816 times

Advertisements

ok, but what if he is black?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 02:27 PM

7,768 posts, read 9,713,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Too bad many more believers can’t follow this same simple message. Too many seem to live by verses alone.
EXACTLY!

Ya know, madicarus2000, you may have just helped me put my finger on some of the frustrations I've been feeling lately.

Thank you so much.

And I am gravely serious!

Old 01-25-2008, 03:57 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,563,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I respectfully disagree with you on this post madicarus2000.

Homosexuality is specifically mentioned in the NT and also specifically mentioned is the fact that Christ made all foods clean. Jesus didn't set us free to commit adultery and live in ways counter to God's Word, but He did set us free from a law we can not keep.

Romans 10:4 comes to mind.
Romans 10:4 just states:
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Nothing in it indicates “except homosexuality”. I still have not seen one quote that mentions it. From believers I’m always told it is “implied”.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:50 PM

7,768 posts, read 9,713,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Romans 10:4 just states:
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Nothing in it indicates “except homosexuality”. I still have not seen one quote that mentions it. From believers I’m always told it is “implied”.
Homosexuality is in the New Testament.

Since I really don't feel like moderating another homosexuality thread, we'll just leave it at that.

Peace, madicarus2000, very nice talking to you.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:49 AM

245 posts, read 443,230 times
[quote=RoaminRed;2621419]Here's something I've thought about regarding that...if the bible was written by humans, and inspired by a god, then it would have to be completely and utterly accurate. With me here so far? Okay...further then...if that's true, then translations of the bible would have been inspired by god as well, in order to further his word to everyone.

So...why do different translations say different things? Were not the translators "inspired by god" in their translations? If differences are put down to human error, then who's to say that the original doesn't include human error too? And if it does...then the writers were not guided by a deity in their writings. And if it doesn't contain errors, then why would god abandon the translators when they were copying it into another language?

'Tis a conundrum to be sure. [/quote

that has bothered me since I was a child, but when I ask the only answer I ever got was "shut the hell up", or "have faith"
aparently god could create an entire universe, but couldn't find a decent secretary

Old 01-26-2008, 04:25 AM

245 posts, read 443,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Christianity (And even Judaism for that matter) was well spread throughout the African continent long before Islam was a thought in anyones mind.

There were indeed Christians on the slave ships and I'm not talking about the captains.

The thought that slavery is what brought Christianity to Africans is a fallacy.
? what? got some real bad news for you, you might want to sit down, but moses wouldn't even know what a christian was, his beliefs would have been much closer to the older monothiestic creator worshipers. as far as the "nations of islam" goes someone coined that phrased not that long ago but islam itself predates rome, and why would anyone say slavery brought christianity to africa when it was most probaly born there?

Old 01-26-2008, 08:36 AM

4,983 posts, read 5,325,529 times
Biblically, slavery is allowed, but homosexuality is not.
So allowing one man to own another is permitted.
I don't see the logic in this.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:37 AM

4,983 posts, read 5,325,529 times
[quote=steffan;2628516]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Here's something I've thought about regarding that...if the bible was written by humans, and inspired by a god, then it would have to be completely and utterly accurate. With me here so far? Okay...further then...if that's true, then translations of the bible would have been inspired by god as well, in order to further his word to everyone.

So...why do different translations say different things? Were not the translators "inspired by god" in their translations? If differences are put down to human error, then who's to say that the original doesn't include human error too? And if it does...then the writers were not guided by a deity in their writings. And if it doesn't contain errors, then why would god abandon the translators when they were copying it into another language?

'Tis a conundrum to be sure. [/quote

that has bothered me since I was a child, but when I ask the only answer I ever got was "shut the hell up", or "have faith"
aparently god could create an entire universe, but couldn't find a decent secretary

I got that too. Or, it's all part of God's Big
Secret Plan and you're not allowed to know about it.
Which always contradicted with the loving part to me.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:13 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,989,396 times
We are slaves if we are attached to this world and not to heavenly aspirations. Amen

Old 01-28-2008, 01:08 PM

12,175 posts, read 11,053,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
He parts the seas to let the slaves leave Eqypt, but allows slave ships to bring Africans to America to be used as slaves. What gives?
For many of us grappling with the existence of Christ, these kinds of questions need to be resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality