Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:55 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,695,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
My favorite response (if I'm ever snookered into opening the door for a stranger, which is rare ) is to keep a Satanic bible on the shelf. I merely pick it up, and say "I'll listen to what you have to say about your book, if you listen to what I have to say about my book first!"

They'll look at you as if you've sprouted horns and a forked tail, and they'll run. It helps if you can cackle at them in a maniacal fashion while they high-tail it off the porch.

They don't come back to my place.
I just put on a Ozzy cd when the Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door. Because we all know that people who listen to Ozzy are devil worshippers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGorgon View Post
So I live in South Florida, an area with no shortage of beautiful women, especially those of a Latin flavor. Well when I came here years ago, Jehovah's Witnesses used to come to my door quite often. These were usually older men and/or women.

Well now they have come up with a new tactic. They are sending these attractive women up to people's doors nowadays so now thy are making it hard to slam the door and/or not open it at all. This is just not right! I demand the old hags back!
I have spent hours talking to the Jehovah's witnesses about Jesus Christ and they are always twisting the truth. If they send some young girls my way, I think that I would talk the truth the same way. Hopefully they will come to their sense and realize they need to be Saved and leave that cult.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:38 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I have spent hours talking to the Jehovah's witnesses about Jesus Christ and they are always twisting the truth. If they send some young girls my way, I think that I would talk the truth the same way. Hopefully they will come to their sense and realize they need to be Saved and leave that cult.

I'm certainly sorry you feel that we are twisting the truth. Perhaps you'd like to give an example? I have dedicated my life to God and truly feel that anyone who does so has come to their senses in the absolute best sense of the term.

I have often heard that we are a 'cult'. But have you ever looked up the definition? There are several. And interestingly, if you were to take them all at face value, EVERY religion would be one... ha.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:48 AM

661 posts, read 1,183,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
If you dont want us to bother you, all you have to do is tell us you are an apostate, and we usually dont bother you any further. We have been instructed by the society not to get into arguments with apostates.
Im an apostate. I left the Jehovah's Witnesses after 40 years. The Watchtower Society drum it into the JWs that apostates are the epitome of evil, worse than any other person on this earth, worse than pedophiles, worse than murderers. The WT repeatedly tell the rank and file that the only reasons for leaving are selfish...greed, materialism, rebelliousness, immorality... those who leave have their own selfish agenda. There is no way that a person could leave, in their eyes, for a genuine, conscientious reason. Why would they want to leave the TRUTH?

Well, I left, because I discovered it was NOT the truth. I discovered the Governing Body of the JW's are not beyond blatant dishonesty and lies. They have massaged the Society's history in their literature, they quote secular sources out of context to reinforce their beliefs, they affiliated themselves to the United Nations for 10 years whilst proclaiming that organization one of Satans chief tools of corruptuion. There are many other things they have done which cannot be brushed aside with..'well they are imperfect men' as is so often the excuse when these accusations are brought up.

If you question the Organization and are not satisfied with the answer given, or dont leave it to Jehovah, you begin to be labelled as a complainer, running ahead of the 'truth'. JWs dont pay any attention to what you have to say. They concentrate more on attacking you as a person, so that what you have to say is irrelevant, even if its true. Eventually, if you dont shut up, they disfellowship you and you are totally shunned by everyone, including family and friends. Its done on the premise of keeping unity, but what it does is prevent the ones inside from hearing any argument against it, by those who can do the most damage to the Organization, those who have been inside it.

Here is what the WT said about keeping things to yourself:

Watchtower January 15, 1974 p.35 Can You Be True to God, Yet Hide the Facts?

'When persons are in great danger from a source that they do not suspect or are being misled by those they consider their friends, is it an unkindness to warn them? They may prefer not to believe the warning. They may even resent it. But does that free one from the moral responsibility to give that warning?'

I began to talk to people but pretty soon started to get heat from the elders, who wanted to 'protect the flock'. No one is allowed to think for themselves, they are viewed as naive, foolish sheep, who will stray at the first chance. Because I have family still in, I stopped talking and faded away, but I know many, many people who have been hurt badly by this organization. You cannot see it till you are on the other side though.

I am not 'out' due to selfish reasons. I had to start a whole new life over at nearly 50, lost lifetime friends, because I would not compromise my integrity. I cannot accept that these men in Brooklyn, whole dictate the way nearly 7 million people live their lives, can be dishonest and arrogant, and still have Gods Spirit, let alone be Gods sole channel for communication with humans here on earth today.

Sorry for the ramble. Just putting the scenario to you from the viewpoint of an 'evil' apostate.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 AM

661 posts, read 1,183,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
If you dont want us to bother you, all you have to do is tell us you are an apostate, and we usually dont bother you any further. We have been instructed by the society not to get into arguments with apostates.
Just thinking...the above proves my point...'instructed by THE SOCIETY'.

They are not allowed to think. 5 meetings a week where it is repeated over and over and over and over...its brainwashing.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:57 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenas0 View Post
Just say that you are not interested in the Witness' coming to your home and your address will be placed on a do not call list. Once a year someone will visit the address in the event the home has been sold or the person now wishes to engage in a biblical converstion.
Ah, but then it's not really a do-not-call list.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 AM

I will not debate my beliefs with an apostate. However, I will say that I am sorry you were so disillusioned with your fellow men. Of course, I am not putting my trust in earthling man, as the scriptures advise against, and instead put my trust and faith in Jehovah. I do believe he has an earthly organization and i do believe this is it. THere is no other organization on earth as intent on doing His will as this one is. I've studied and I'm fully convinced of that. You can pick apart our brothers and the publications that have been written all that you like...I've heard it before.

I've never seen anything written that I don't feel is backed up by bible reasoning. I certainly do think for myself and I am an intelligent woman who loves God and her family above anything else. The elders are imperfect men and they do make mistakes on occasion. Anyone who thinks less of them for this does not need to be in the organization certainly.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Just thinking...the above proves my point...'instructed by THE SOCIETY'.

They are not allowed to think. 5 meetings a week where it is repeated over and over and over and over...its brainwashing.

Please do not say this again. I understand this is how you feel but it's very demeaning to those of us who are independant thinkers. Is it absolutely impossible that we truly agree with what we are hearing? I encourage my bible studies to think for themselves ABOVE ALL ELSE. If it appears that they are blindly following anything, I advise them to research it themselves.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:04 AM

48,127 posts, read 22,002,483 times
I think they must have a real stratagy! Last week I answered the door and there were two very nicely dressed young Asian men. They looked surprised, almost startled at the sight of me. They apologized and said something about looking for someone who spoke Japanese. (My partner's name is Japanese and his name is in the phone book on the property.) It turned out that they were JW, and must have been sent specifically to proselytize him, they left pretty quickly when they realize he wasnt home. I really don't mind the JW--they are always polite and have never ever been pushy with me. I have absolutely no interest in their religion, but I admire their dedication to it. Knocking on doors isn't easy.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:14 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I've never seen anything written that I don't feel is backed up by bible reasoning.
How were the false end times prophecies back up back biblical reasoning?

And how does the Society now biblically reason their way around those prophecies?

(For the record, I think there was one in 1914, one in 1925, and I think one within the last 30 years or so.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality