Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 07:10 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,760,459 times

Advertisements

It's silly. It's like saying I need to go to a place every Sunday to convince myself that my friends I see every day actually exist. If you said that you would be looked at as needing some psychological help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 07:12 PM

22,148 posts, read 19,198,797 times
?????
i do not have a clue what the opening post is stating or asking

Old 08-14-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
?????
i do not have a clue what the opening post is stating or asking
When you go to some Christian churches, the message and theme is to "renew and strengthen" your faith in God. My original question was poorly worded. I just find it silly that you need all this "renewing" to believe in this supernatural being.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:24 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
I very rarely get the chance to attend Mosque with other people. Nearly always my Mosqque is a spare room in my house. But on the rare times I get to attend Mosque in Fargo I feel like I have returned home after a long absence.

Nothing being renewed, simply a time to rest after too long a time away from that which I love.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:42 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Particularly thinking of Christian-based church life (although this can apply to other belief systems to varying degrees as well):

Because the tenets they teach, the narratives they feed to you, the reasoning for why they compel you to do what they say, the underlying premises and justifications behind their ideas, etc. etc. etc. tend to be filled with inconsistencies, contradictions, logical flaws, and so on . . . and the things that you are taught by them as tenets of the faith (e.g., "Ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened"; "Ask for anything in My name and it shall be given"; "as a believer, the Holy Spirit is always there to dwell within you and guide you in your life"; and so many many other things) so often do not get delivered on in the ways they tell you to expect . And hence, the standard bearers of the particular faith fear that, if you don't consistently and without fail attend church every Sunday and attend to church life even often at other times besides on Sundays (i.e., attending church services sometimes during the week as well . . . and then sometimes also getting together during each week for Bible studies, prayer groups, etc.), they are afraid that you will be rather prone to falling away from the faith. Why? Because, as I said, their propagated ideas and claims tend to fall apart if reflected on over time and examined critically and it is often the case that the faith claims, promises and expectations that they fill you with just don't get delivered on with consistency . . . or sometimes don't get delivered on at all.

So the thinking that the "powers that be" behind the particular religion(s) feel is that you need to be continually reinforced, especially by appealing to and touching you on a deep emotional level in order for you to feel bound or committed to the faith and hopefully not fall away. They don't want you to engage too much in rational and critical thinking and they'd prefer that you aim to limit your associations to those who share the same faith. That is, when you are instead in the company of others who don't share the faith, while you are amongst such people, you are compelled to befriend them and, as beneficial to the cause, to conduct yourself in an apolegetic, proselytizing mode . . . and to otherwise stay away from such persons or settings (lest they fear that you'll be influenced by such persons or settings in a way which draws you away from the faith).

To the OP: Does that address your question satisfactorily enough?

Last edited by UsAll; 08-14-2015 at 09:43 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
Particularly thinking of Christian-based church life (although this can apply to other belief systems to varying degrees as well):

Because the tenets they teach, the narratives they feed to you, the reasoning for why they compel you to do what they say, the underlying premises and justifications behind their ideas, etc. etc. etc. tend to be filled with inconsistencies, contradictions, logical flaws, and so on . . . and the things that you are taught by them as tenets of the faith (e.g., "Ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened"; "Ask for anything in My name and it shall be given"; "as a believer, the Holy Spirit is always there to dwell within you and guide you in your life"; and so many many other things) so often do not get delivered on in the ways they tell you to expect . And hence, the standard bearers of the particular faith fear that, if you don't constantly attend church every Sunday and attend to church life even often at other times besides on Sundays (i.e., attending church services sometimes during the week as well . . . and then sometimes also getting together during each week for Bible studies, prayer groups, etc.), they are afraid that you will be rather prone to falling away from the faith. Why? Because, as I said, their propagated ideas and claims tend to fall apart if reflected on over time and examined critically and it is often the case that the faith claims, promises and expectations that they fill you with just don't get delivered on with consistency . . . or sometimes don't get delivered on at all.

So the thinking that the "powers that be" behind the particular religion(s) feel is that you need to be continually reinforced, especially by appealing to and touching you on a deep emotional level in order in order for you to feel bound or committed to the faith and hopefully not fall away. They don't want you to engage too much in rational and critical thinking and they'd prefer that you aim to limit your associations to those who share the same faith. That is, when you are instead in the company of others who don't share the faith, while you are amongst such people, you are compelled to befriend them and, as beneficial, to conduct yourself in an apolegetic, proselytizing mode . . . and to otherwise stay away from such persons or settings (lest they fear that you'll be influenced by such persons or settings in a way which draws you away from the faith).

To the OP: Does that address your question satisfactorily enough?
Indeed it does. Good take on it. Don't think I could have worded it better. I had some of those same thoughts but kept the question open ended to see the responses from others.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I very rarely get the chance to attend Mosque with other people. Nearly always my Mosqque is a spare room in my house. But on the rare times I get to attend Mosque in Fargo I feel like I have returned home after a long absence.

Nothing being renewed, simply a time to rest after too long a time away from that which I love.

I hope you don't have to wait too long before the next visit, Woodrow.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:57 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

I hope you don't have to wait too long before the next visit, Woodrow.
Hopefully I will be able to make it this Wed. the 19th I will be in Fargo most of the day and shouls be able to squeeze in going to the Mosque at 1;40. that lasts from 10 to 20 minutes depending on what Surah the Imam selects to recite. Will be nice listing to someone else reciting the prayer, besides me.

In Islam Mosque attendence is not mandatory. We can say the prayers anyplace we wish. However we are obligated to say our obligatory prayer as a community at least once a week. but that can be done with family and/or friends and need not be in a Mosque. There is no sermon during the obligatory prayers. The only time an Imam is permitted to preach or give a sermon is 30 minutes before the Friday Jummah prayer. Most Muslims skip it and only show up in time for the prayer.

World wide very many Muslims prefer to say the 5 obligatory prayers out doors like in a park, yard or even on the street.

We are not limited to just the obligatory prayers, in addition to them we can say whatever prayers we desire at any time and anyplace and facing what ever direction we desire and in whatever language we desire. The 5 obligatory prayers have to be said in Arabic.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
It's silly. It's like saying I need to go to a place every Sunday to convince myself that my friends I see every day actually exist. If you said that you would be looked at as needing some psychological help.
It's because the Church business needs people to come and give money (or other services and valuables) and they know people are good doubters but give in easily to peer pressure.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post

It is not reinforcement of one's Faith it is strengthening one's Faith through Fellowship with other's who believe as they do.

There is a difference, look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality