Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 01:10 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I used to enjoy going to mass in the different California Missions.
I went to a Mass where the monks chanted. It was rather interesting. I loved those California Missions, but of course they were built on the backs in Native People who were severely abused, beaten. I didn't realize that at the time.

I suppose black slaves built a lot of the old churches.

Every religion thinks that it is the only true religion. They all have proof for this. I had two Pentecostal friends who used to try to save each other, because they were not going to the same church. They tried to save me too, but I put my foot down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 08:11 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I went to a Mass where the monks chanted. It was rather interesting. I loved those California Missions, but of course they were built on the backs in Native People who were severely abused, beaten. I didn't realize that at the time.

Every religion thinks that it is the only true religion.
They all have proof for this. I had two Pentecostal friends who used to try to save each other, because they were not going to the same church. They tried to save me too, but I put my foot down.
Nah, Episcopalians don't.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
.. and then I went to mass for a while, and the missal is all about Christ, and in a year, they will have gone through the entire bible. I didn't last because I believe in human rights, which I won't get into here,
but I can say that Mass is the most beautiful religious service that there is.
I'm liking you. You are aware of Native Am's, slaves and now human rights, I see so far.
You go girl!

Try a High Mass sometime or the Christmas Mass...lots of pomp and circumstance, very beautiful...
the gold chalices being swung with frankincense...the colorful satin, the bells,
all with the organ and sopranos behind you in the balcony!
Wow.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The obvious question then, is "How is prayer not worship?" When I pray to God, I see that as worship. I'm submitting my whole will to him and I'm recognizing that I'm incapable of doing it on my own, but that I need him.
The next obvious question is this: how to do pray that makes it worship?

Old 08-08-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
He warned all for the last over 1950 years--its--THEY who are at fault for not listening. The door is open to all. The start of the tribulation closes that door. Many claim and are told they are followers of Jesus--yet it is not true. Few know what Jesus actually taught--they cant be bothered.
The Jehovah's Witnesses have closed that door many times by predicting the end of the world.

They have preached that other religions do not know their bible, and they used the scripture, This means everlasting life, taking in knowledge. and so you have changed this to mean that everyone must know the bible inside and out, yet even the Jehovah's Witnesses only know the bible as presented in the Watchtower. Other translations of this scripture says:

"This means everlasting life,+ their coming to know you,* the only true God,+ and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ."

Of course I don't believe that we have to take in any knowledge, as I believe that we all have immortality, that, were created that way.

You can't really know what Jesus taught or even if he ever existed. His message isn't new, it was taught by Buddha before that, and Buddha learned from other Buddhists and from the Hindu teachings. But what is more, much of what is written in the New Testaments was said of other Christs. It is an old story.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
So you do not belong to a Religion?
It seems JW's and Evangelicals have one thing in common there.
And you even have something in common with the SDA's in not believing in a literal Hell.
Well, every religion has something right, and the JWs got this one right.

You might wish to read The History of Hell by Alice Turner

Old 08-08-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'm liking you. You are aware of Native Am's, slaves and now human rights, I see so far.
You go girl!

Try a High Mass sometime or the Christmas Mass...lots of pomp and circumstance, very beautiful...
the gold chalices being swung with frankincense...the colorful satin, the bells,
all with the organ and sopranos behind you in the balcony!
Wow.
I like your posts too.

I have never been to high Mass because now that I would be interested in seeing it, I don't stay up late, and it would certainly, at least for me, be in a large church.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:43 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes.

I don't really understand your question. If I believed the RCC was correct about being the only true church, wouldn't I be a Catholic?
That is the official Roman Catholic position. They believe they are the only true church and the rest of us are not "completed" or "true" or whatever it is that they say Christians. Does that bother you?

Old 08-08-2017, 08:44 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
He told you to give sell your possessions in order to follow him too...but it would appear that most of you ignore that one.
No. He really didn't. You can claim that by taking a verse out of context, but that was not a command given to all Christians. It just wasn't.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:11 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:

Every religion thinks that it is the only true religion. They all have proof for this. I had two Pentecostal friends who used to try to save each other, because they were not going to the same church. They tried to save me too, but I put my foot down.
That only seems to happen when one Pentecostal organization believes in the Holy Trinity and the other doesn't. Which brings us full circle not to "fullness of truth" but rather to the Catholic book position of whether non Catholics are separated Christian brethren or cultists needing baptism upon joining a Catholic Church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality