U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2018, 11:52 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,580,005 times
Reputation: 6006

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
My problem with 'rock n roll' worship is that it can go on anywhere from 30-50minutes, and in most instances I've experienced is TOO DARN LOUD - from any pew location. I've never had that problem in any 'pipe-organ' church.
I think the volume is intended to be part of the immersive nature of the experience, but I agree, it takes me OUT of it. I am far more prone to feeling sensory assault in such situations and wanting to escape therm.

"Happy clappy" is both more and less immersive than standard-issue evangelical "liturgy". It is more physically and emotionally participatory if you give yourself over to it, but you need not be present mentally whatsoever. Some see this as a feature rather than a bug; I'm not one of them.

I actually have a strong affinity for pipe organs (real or virtual) BTW but that was something you seldom saw in evangelical churches I grew up in. They generally don't have the $50K for even a small virtual / digital pipe organ with proper speakers / installation / voicing, much less the millions plus ongoing maintenance of a real one. What most churches I grew up in had, was a little M-series Hammond spinet or some other self-contained analog divider organ -- or no organ at all. The quality of music in those churches was occasional flashes of talent but a distinct leaning toward mediocrity and even worse at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2018, 12:29 AM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,914 posts, read 9,672,130 times
Reputation: 2404
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
The quality of music in those churches was occasional flashes of talent but a distinct leaning toward mediocrity and even worse at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLE60Aspsu4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 04:43 PM
 
6,822 posts, read 3,140,622 times
Reputation: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Honestly? No idea...but I do know that non-Christians on this very forum rip into anyone that dares to suggest that anyone is not a Christian.
Why would you think it is your place to suggest someone is not Christian? If you tell me you are a Christian, then you are a Christian.

Why would I argue with your belief that you are Christian? I would not disabuse you of your belief.

I am curious if you believe there are Christians, and the right kind of Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2018, 05:50 PM
 
4,077 posts, read 1,461,267 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
My problem with 'rock n roll' worship is that it can go on anywhere from 30-50minutes, and in most instances I've experienced is TOO DARN LOUD - from any pew location. I've never had that problem in any 'pipe-organ' church.

When the Pharisees called Jesus' religion a sect, They didn't say sects--just sect= one single religion( 1Cor 1:10)---OT = one single religion had God. same in the NT.
The problem-- 34,000 different religions claiming to be Christian. How does one choose correct?
God gave all the key for free. He showed how utterly important it is for one to do this without fail. God spoke from heaven at Jesus baptism and said( commanded)-- This is my son, the beloved in whom I am well pleased--LISTEN TO HIM. Few have. I was never taught all the important teachings Jesus gave to us in any building called a church, let alone listen to Jesus who said--- Man does not live by bread alone, but by every utterance from God.- Jesus real teachers on earth make 100% sure that is accomplished, over and over year after year. My teachers do this. Because they listen To Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2018, 07:44 AM
Status: "Just crying wolf" (set 19 days ago)
 
5,300 posts, read 1,337,111 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Why would you think it is your place to suggest someone is not Christian? If you tell me you are a Christian, then you are a Christian.

Why would I argue with your belief that you are Christian? I would not disabuse you of your belief.

I am curious if you believe there are Christians, and the right kind of Christian.
Weird how that standard only applies to Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2018, 07:52 AM
 
6,822 posts, read 3,140,622 times
Reputation: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Weird how that standard only applies to Christianity.
I guess your issue is with the TOS. You want to tell others they are not Christian.

Do you believe you are the right kind of Christian, and others are not?

By definition all Christians share a belief in Jesus, and God. They read and interpret the Bible. Are your interpretations better than their interpretations?

You say you are Christian. Is there some reason I should not believe you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2018, 08:12 AM
Status: "Just crying wolf" (set 19 days ago)
 
5,300 posts, read 1,337,111 times
Reputation: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I guess your issue is with the TOS. You want to tell others they are not Christian.

Do you believe you are the right kind of Christian, and others are not?

By definition all Christians share a belief in Jesus, and God. They read and interpret the Bible. Are your interpretations better than their interpretations?

You say you are Christian. Is there some reason I should not believe you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 AM
 
6,822 posts, read 3,140,622 times
Reputation: 2376
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Is that all you have? hahahahahahaha.

I am amused. I will admit, it does not take much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 02:00 AM
 
Location: NSW
2,562 posts, read 1,703,694 times
Reputation: 878
This is the type of thing that is detestable.
How come we never see Catholic gatecrashers at Protestant conventions, unlike the reverse scenario?"


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7BQoNzBntg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 06:19 AM
 
4,077 posts, read 1,461,267 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
This is the type of thing that is detestable.
How come we never see Catholic gatecrashers at Protestant conventions, unlike the reverse scenario?"


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7BQoNzBntg
Too bad he doesn't know what the bible teaches---- the religion that came out of Rome = tree trunk---Protestants( 33,999 of those religions) are branches off that trunk

A good tree produces good fruit-- a rotten tree produces rotten fruit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top