Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2017, 06:29 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's very informative and a great post. It doesn't however change anything regarding the fact that Protestant factions of Christianity are derived from the Catholic Church including the Evangelical and Baptist churches. It's not relevant if the Catholic Church as been around 2000 years or 1500 years. It's much older than any Protestant sect because all Protestant sects came from this Church, directly or indirectly. These were Catholics that had a gripe with the church for one reason or another, broke off and started their own versions of Christianity. The basic Christian beliefs are the same. Jesus is our savior and so on. That doesn't change from church to church. For a Protestant sect to say Catholics aren't Christians is like a person having an argument with their parents and then hating their parents so much that they deny being related to them.
Nice analogy, and I completely agree that Protestants cannot make the claim that Catholics aren't Christians. No one human being gets to make that call against another.

To further complicate matters, I belong to the Episcopal Church, a descendant of the Church of England along with the other churches in the worldwide Anglican Communion. If you ask us whether we are Catholic or Protestant, we will reply "yes". Or, as someone said recently, we worship like Catholics but think like hippies.

A difference between my church and the RCC as well as some of the Protestant churches is that we don't claim that our church--or our religion for that matter--is the only "right" one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 06:52 AM

17,318 posts, read 11,192,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nice analogy, and I completely agree that Protestants cannot make the claim that Catholics aren't Christians. No one human being gets to make that call against another.

To further complicate matters, I belong to the Episcopal Church, a descendant of the Church of England along with the other churches in the worldwide Anglican Communion. If you ask us whether we are Catholic or Protestant, we will reply "yes". Or, as someone said recently, we worship like Catholics but think like hippies.

A difference between my church and the RCC as well as some of the Protestant churches is that we don't claim that our church--or our religion for that matter--is the only "right" one.
Myself, born and raised Catholic. Part of my upbringing was to respect people of other religions. Throughout the years, I've gone to many other Christian churches including Baptist, Methodist, non denominational Christian and so on with friends who weren't Catholic. Frankly, I was surprised how similar they are. The basics of Christianity were all the same. The delivery of the message may vary somewhat from church to church and there is more "audience" for lack of a better word participation in some churches but again the message is the same. Personally, I like being traditional. I wish I could find a local Catholic church that does mass in Latin, just for the sake of hearing it. It's all fine as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:49 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,291,518 times
Butyaknow ...if a person...say, an outsider..um, say like a Mahatma Gandhi or an atheist professor...
we to study and observe ALL the Christian Churches they might walk away and say,
"None of them are Christian.'
(Sure they do some good things..and many use some pretty words.)

Old 06-17-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Butyaknow ...if a person...say, an outsider..um, say like a Mahatma Gandhi or an atheist professor...
we to study and observe ALL the Christian Churches they might walk away and say,
"None of them are Christian.'
(Sure they do some good things..and many use some pretty words.)
That's probably because a church as an organization can't really be Christian. Only the people can be, and some Christians are not affiliated with any church at all.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Myself, born and raised Catholic. Part of my upbringing was to respect people of other religions. Throughout the years, I've gone to many other Christian churches including Baptist, Methodist, non denominational Christian and so on with friends who weren't Catholic. Frankly, I was surprised how similar they are. The basics of Christianity were all the same. The delivery of the message may vary somewhat from church to church and there is more "audience" for lack of a better word participation in some churches but again the message is the same. Personally, I like being traditional. I wish I could find a local Catholic church that does mass in Latin, just for the sake of hearing it. It's all fine as far as I'm concerned.
Definitely. Different rituals, or none, speak to each of us in different ways.

Some years ago there was an article about a church in New Jersey (where I live) that still offered a Latin mass, and people traveled from an hour or more away to attend it.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,291,518 times
Quote:
Only the people can be, and some Christians
are not affiliated with any church at all.
That's for sure.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:56 PM

3,760 posts, read 2,969,551 times
Quote:

The "one true church" is taken out of context as it pertains to Catholics, most do not think that at all.
Of course, low church evangelical protestants are the ones who usually quote it, esp the ex-Catholics among them- who are often the most vocal. (as they are usually told they are now born again, and weren't "saved" before that).
And Evangelicals do believe they have the right to call Catholics non-Christians (you only have to look at comments below youtube videos etc), as well as others =which would include mainstream, liberal or high church Protestants as well.
Evangelicals also do not like the words "church" or "religion", and usually claim to be :"non-denominational", despite there being a congregation and a name.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The "one true church" is taken out of context as it pertains to Catholics, most do not think that at all.
Of course, low church evangelical protestants are the ones who usually quote it, esp the ex-Catholics among them- who are often the most vocal. (as they are usually told they are now born again, and weren't "saved" before that).
And Evangelicals do believe they have the right to call Catholics non-Christians (you only have to look at comments below youtube videos etc), as well as others =which would include mainstream, liberal or high church Protestants as well.
Evangelicals also do not like the words "church" or "religion", and usually claim to be :"non-denominational", despite there being a congregation and a name.
You're not telling us anything new. The "born-again" trend that arose in the 70s has been discussed here before.

But a few Catholics have indeed sashayed up into this very forum and imperiously tried to inform us all that theirs is the One True Church of Jesus Christ.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:50 PM

63,566 posts, read 39,855,129 times
Quote:
That's probably because a church as an organization can't really be Christian. Only the people can be, and some Christians are not affiliated with any church at all.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:55 PM

17,318 posts, read 11,192,172 times
Quote:
You're not telling us anything new. The "born-again" trend that arose in the 70s has been discussed here before.

But a few Catholics have indeed sashayed up into this very forum and imperiously tried to inform us all that theirs is the One True Church of Jesus Christ.
When I was a teenager in the 70s, I was told by one of my very best friends who was "born again" that I was going to hell because I was Catholic. It didn't bother me at all because I knew better. So for fun, I asked him well what about Mother Teresa. She spends her life totally devoted to Jesus and is helping some of the poorest people on earth, people others won't even come near because they are so poor and diseased. Is she going to hell too despite her love for Christ and the good she does in the world? His answer was, yes, she's going to hell too I almost felt sorry for him for being so ignorant and bigoted.
There are going to be holier than thou types in every religion, but of course you know that. Catholics of course also have their share too and I'll be the first to admit that.

Last edited by marino760; 06-17-2017 at 11:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality