Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:05 AM

79 posts, read 103,205 times

Advertisements

I imagine this type of post has been on here MANY times and will come again after this one, but still I would be interested in getting some new and current responses.

I've known many people of various Christian denominations (and non-denomination), other faiths and no faiths whatsoever with varying levels of degree regarding how they treat others and how that is reflective of Christ's most basic teachings, whether or not their behaviors were intentionally or unintentionally similar.

I've known people who go to a Christian church regularly who seem to think of only of themselves (and talk of and support issues in the world in manners directly opposed to Christ's teachings), while many who do not attend regularly (mostly just Christmas/Easter) as well as those who believe but do not attend anywhere, as well as those who don't know or care about religion or believe in no higher beings whatsoever (agnostics and atheists if they must be referred to as, which I feel is unnecessary, but some like the labels), yet whose interactions with the world around them are more indicative of Christ's teachings than every Sunday goers. But there's also a good mix of everybody in there as well.

And I think it is safe to assume that not all churches are the same. Not simply the differences among Christian denominations, but even within each denomination.

So, the question I propose is this: Do you think that you can believe in Jesus Christ and do your reasonable best to follow his teachings without going to a building every Sunday to have those messages reinforced and having to be part of a community in order to so?

I'm welcome to hearing any and all opinions, just asking that they be respectful and no one goes out of their way to be insulting to anyone else or their beliefs. People are always still likely to be offended in this type of discussion, but I'm thinking we're all adults here and know where the lines are of offering an honest opinion vs. being a jerk, regardless what you believe or don't.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 08:49 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgkeller2015 View Post
So, the question I propose is this: Do you think that you can believe in Jesus Christ and do your reasonable best to follow his teachings without going to a building every Sunday to have those messages reinforced and having to be part of a community in order to so?
It is possible to follow Jesus outside a community, but I do think it is a big help to know the love and support of a community. It's not so much the "lessons" as the sharing.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:09 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
First, I question whether or not one should follow the teachings of Jesus. Why bother? But, I am an atheist, so that tells you where I stand.

Answering your actual question though, it seems to me that church attendance doesn't actually help people live ostensible Christian values. The divorce rate among christians is about the same as that among the non- religious, unmarried teen pregnancy is highest in the states with the most religious populations, the prison population is full of Christians, and I can cite dozens of examples of prominent Christians lying.

Add to this the differences between many churches. Some are minor, but many doctrinal differences are big. Accept gay marriage or not? Is the bible the literal, inerrant word of God, or is it a collection of allegories? Which bible? Can the pope speak ex cathedra, or is he just another dude with a funny hat? Should we handle snakes as a testament of our faith, or are all Christians to live a celibate life and watch your sect die out? Can Christians wear any type of clothing, modest clothing only, or are they more strictly limited to bonnets while driving their horse and buggy? Polygamy? Pre-trib or post-trib?

I don't think going to church is going to help.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:08 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgkeller2015 View Post
I imagine this type of post has been on here MANY times and will come again after this one, but still I would be interested in getting some new and current responses.

I've known many people of various Christian denominations (and non-denomination), other faiths and no faiths whatsoever with varying levels of degree regarding how they treat others and how that is reflective of Christ's most basic teachings, whether or not their behaviors were intentionally or unintentionally similar.

I've known people who go to a Christian church regularly who seem to think of only of themselves (and talk of and support issues in the world in manners directly opposed to Christ's teachings), while many who do not attend regularly (mostly just Christmas/Easter) as well as those who believe but do not attend anywhere, as well as those who don't know or care about religion or believe in no higher beings whatsoever (agnostics and atheists if they must be referred to as, which I feel is unnecessary, but some like the labels), yet whose interactions with the world around them are more indicative of Christ's teachings than every Sunday goers. But there's also a good mix of everybody in there as well.

And I think it is safe to assume that not all churches are the same. Not simply the differences among Christian denominations, but even within each denomination.

I'm welcome to hearing any and all opinions, just asking that they be respectful and no one goes out of their way to be insulting to anyone else or their beliefs. People are always still likely to be offended in this type of discussion, but I'm thinking we're all adults here and know where the lines are of offering an honest opinion vs. being a jerk, regardless what you believe or don't.

Thanks!!
You'd have to chose which "teachings of Jesus" you are going to follow...
All of the New Testament books chosen by 2-4th century religious leaders,
All ancient books you can find of the subject,
Just Jesus command to listen to the Holy Spirit to figure things out (love god and neighbor)
Only the "non disputed" parts of the Catholic or Protestant New Testament
Which?

Old 08-16-2015, 10:21 AM

20,004 posts, read 13,480,828 times
We are social animals. It is easier in many ways to do anything when you do it with others. It's easier to volunteer for a political campaign or secular charity if you do it with others, too.

What we are completely alone in, is our innermost beliefs and convictions. Others can influence them but ultimately they belong to us and us alone, and they are our responsibility alone -- whether or not you believe your responsibility is to some deity, or to your fellow man, or to yourself. In that sense we don't "need" others to form a conviction or to act upon it. It's just that others can reinforce and validate our convictions, and we can forge common cause for projects that are larger and require cooperation, based on those convictions.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:17 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
I have not attended an organized church service in nearly 22 years--yeah, the evangelicals will say there is no surprise here--

I believe my faith is stronger than ever (not necessarily because I do not hang out at a church) but because I have a better understanding of what Jesus' message was and what I do to carry out that message.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 08-16-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-16-2015, 12:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I believe my faith is stronger than ever (not necessarily because I do not hang out at a church) but because I have a better understanding of what Jesus' message was and what I do to catty out that message.
No need to be catty about it ;-)

Old 08-16-2015, 12:38 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
No need to be catty about it ;-)
fat finger typos----

Old 08-16-2015, 12:38 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
First, I question whether or not one should follow
the teachings of Jesus. Why bother? But, I am an atheist, so that tells you where I stand.
I respect that.

My story....one day, first time bought a Bible and opened it!!!! Jan '06...
when suddenly I SAW, HEY, there is a THEME here....(and not one I ever noticed any
Christian friends doing, practicing or realizing at all. And I mean it to this day...)

The theme was everywhere...and simply put....it was trust.
Or n-e-v-e-r worry about a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g....it was everywhere in the NT!

I put the book in my lap and said, Damn...Gee, either you do what this guy said ...or you don't.
"I'm going to do it!!"
(And I had as many of the 'worries' anybody had, more being self-employed in not a great economy, with a high mortgage, so....even more than some.)

From that day I have never worried or cared about a thing. I mean, why? Worry does nothing anyway...
I went on my idiot-looking merry way with a smile and left every detail of my life up to God, period.

If I lost my keys and was late for an appointment already...oh well...not my 'burden'...give it to
The Whatever You Want To Call It...
and every single time it always worked out to perfection...and I never cared or stressed at ALL.

As to why bother...I get that...but, for me, it was a formula that has made my life a cake walk.
No stresses, no cares, no anxiety, no fears, no burdens...I'm free. Now, not later.

Church? Show me an inspiring great pastor/speaker...I'll go.
Tried even Unity!...the pastor was so off the wall/negative...pandering and reinforcing fears...I couldn't go back.
Even Unity the epitome of the New Thought Movement, self-power and positivity!

Old 08-16-2015, 12:45 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
We are social animals.
It is easier in many ways to do anything when you do it with others.
What world do you live in, mordie!
Ever try shopping with 3 women?
Try even choosing a restaurant...then try paying the check 'easier' with them.
and a movie? Oh, right, soooo easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality