Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 02:33 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
If you visit a local prison facility, you will perhaps find a couple of people whose parents were not religious (just as your's were) but those inmates turned out to be murderers, theives, rapists etc.

I am not sure what's the point of your post and the OP?
The point of the OP is to highlight the study.

Of course you'd have to actually read the article to understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 04:31 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,511 times
The problem with so many religious "morals" is that many are arbitrary or based on authoritarian hierarchy rather than pragmatic good. Simplistic moral beliefs like 'homosexuality is wrong', 'woman who commit adultery should be stoned to death (but not men)', 'premarital sex is wrong', etc. are just thoughtless dogma without practical/logical basis.

I think it's fair to say secularists are generally more strongly inclined to rationality than dogma. I can't speak for all secularists, but would venture to say most of us probably favor morals, laws, etc, that result to the most beneficial results for the most people. This seems far more useful than religious dogma.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
The problem with so many religious "morals" is that many are arbitrary or based on authoritarian hierarchy rather than pragmatic good. Simplistic moral beliefs like 'homosexuality is wrong', 'woman who commit adultery should be stoned to death (but not men)', 'premarital sex is wrong', etc. are just thoughtless dogma without practical/logical basis.

I think it's fair to say secularists are generally more strongly inclined to rationality than dogma. I can't speak for all secularists, but would venture to say most of us probably favor morals, laws, etc, that result to the most beneficial results for the most people. This seems far more useful than religious dogma.
I kind of follow this one :

Old 08-18-2015, 11:22 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I kind of follow this one :
And who is going to decide what's "good"?
It feels "good"'to me when I see poor kids in Africa die from starvation. I won't help them because it won't make me feel "good".

Old 08-18-2015, 11:27 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The point of the OP is to highlight the study.

Of course you'd have to actually read the article to understand it.
I think I can write a longer article than this to show that religious parents have raised their kids with better values than "some non-religious parents.
And to support that I can visit a few prisons and collect the data of inmates's families. I can also go to many poor neighborhoods where crime is rampant and prove that religious presence in this community is low to minimum.
So?

Old 08-19-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
I think I can write a longer article than this to show that religious parents have raised their kids with better values than "some non-religious parents.
And to support that I can visit a few prisons and collect the data of inmates's families. I can also go to many poor neighborhoods where crime is rampant and prove that religious presence in this community is low to minimum.
So?
Great.

So now do a statistically relevant study like was highlighted in the article. Then come back and tell us how wonderful a religious background is. You know like in the Bible Belt down in the southern United States.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:56 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,511 times
Quote:
It feels "good"'to me when I see poor kids in Africa die from starvation. I won't help them because it won't make me feel "good".
What feels good is largely subjective. I don't find enjoy being spanked with a paddle, but some masochists do, and that's fine. If they enjoy it, I won't try to stop them and there shouldn't be any laws against it either.

Is that so difficult to understand? Persons can do what they want as long as they aren't imposing something on others they don't want. Simple.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:20 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
If it were truly your mindset that it makes you feel good to see children dying , do you think that being told that the God you believe in wants you to take care of starving children would actually change you into less of a monster?

Old 08-19-2015, 08:27 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Keyword highlighted.
Misleading thread title.

Why didn't you choose to highlight "vast majority" and "moral direction"? Your post is more misleading IMO.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:03 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Religion DOES recomend good morals, good ethics, and honesty.
No. It doesn't. As with all ancient religions it can be made to appear that they teach good morals by cherry picking out the bits that appear to fit in today's society and sweeping the rest under the carpet.

Quote:
It's up to each human being as to how much he tries to follow. Some may follow 0.00001% others may follow 90%

Many people play boxing but not ALL boxers become Muhammad Ali.
If you are only going to follow 1% of your religion, what is the point of following that religion at all? What you are saying is that people have already made decisions about which bits work and discarded the rest. In other words they didn't need that religion in the first place. They used their brains.

The problem with all these old religions is that they might have worked for a society 2000 years ago, or even 1000 years ago or 100 years ago. Nobody wants to live in a medieval society today. We've moved on. Religion is no longer relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality