Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 11:21 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,698,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Probably not to be honest. The women in that cult believe themselves to be of less importance than their husbands. She likely is blaming herself and not him.
His wife is blaming herself......it's sickening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 05:53 AM

468 posts, read 265,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Well, I'd be willing to bet I've read through the bible--and mucho commentaries along with it, more times than the years you've been alive.

You can't do your Sunday School bible study and get the breadth, depth, and height of cultural meaning. And my learning on a critical-textual level is limited to 21 hours of undergraduate bible courses--hardly a scratch on the surface.

And I may be ignorent, but I know how to spell---mast off thee timely-- but I do have trouble typing!

People who SEEK God are continually learning by apprising themselves of new knowledge. You got stuck somewhere in Sunday School 101 mud and have been unable to get your feet or your mind moving again.

As a truth-seeker I am constantly revising what I know mentally and spiritually. While I've not reached the point of universalism, there are posters on this very thread that have me thinking about the meaning of certain Koine Greek words in the NT that tend to move one in that direction.

Outright dismissal simply shows an inability to reason.

And I've got another conundrum for you to ponder.

God's initial command in Deuteronomy 23:1: "He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord."

God's second, contradictory command in Isaiah 56:4-5 For thus says the LORD, "To the eunuchs who keep My sabbaths, And choose what pleases Me, And hold fast My covenant, To them I will give in My house and within My walls a memorial, And a name better than that of sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name which will not be cut off.…

Isn't it interesting that God's morality grew from Deuteronomy to Isaiah?

But it wasn't just eunuchs that had to remain outside the camp of the Israelites--so did bastards and prostitutes, certainly sodomites, and lepers, along with Ammonites and Moabites. All of these people were unacceptable to be in God's camp. On the day of atonement these sorry souls were left outside looking in, hungry to be included but reviled because of the rulebook.

But with Jesus things reversed. According to the writer of Hebrews (13:12-13): Therefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people through His own blood, suffered outside the gate. So, let us go out to Him outside the camp, bearing His reproach.

Jesus stepped out of the holy city and into the camp with sinners--those with whom he identified, those you wish would be crying "Unclean, unclean" whenever they approach your church doors. He died WITH them, not because of them.

Now here is the good news for you--and Josh Duggar. You can come outside the walls of your holy city (church) and get down in the dirt with the rest of us sinners.

It is there you will find Jesus. It is there that a sin hardened heart can become soft in the Spirit of Christ.
I have shown you a fool once and you ask me to do it again? Then what? You go skipping away like it never happened again?
This being the case I will now give YOU a verse to ponder .

"Do not cast your pearls before swine
least after they have trampled underfoot they turn and rend you."

You are not interested in any truth .
Your interpretation of the bible changes with your fleshly moods and lusts . Twisting it to your agenda.

Last edited by clickstack; 08-24-2015 at 06:08 AM..

Old 08-24-2015, 06:05 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,197,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickstack View Post
I have shown you a fool once and you go skipping away like it never happened .

Your interpretation of the bible changes with your fleshly moods and lusts . Twisting it to your agenda.
Now, ponder these words I regurgitate--for the words surely apply to you.

YOU have shown youself a fool once and you go skipping away like it never happened .
This being the case, you now have this verse to ponder .

Old 08-24-2015, 07:16 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,212,425 times
These religious debates are painful to read because they are circular and never end.

There are so MANY contradictions in the bible, that each party can essentially pluck out anything to prove their point, and often what they quote from the bible is a direct contradiction to the last point they posted from the bible. They don't care though, 'cause "it's in the bible."

No matter what your issue, you can fight for it, or against it and use teachings from the bible to back it up. Flip flop, get wishy washy, change your stance, do whatever you want. You can always find something to support your position in the bible. It's a lot like a tarot card or psychic reading, always broad enough to allow anyone to self-identify and pull out what they need to satisfy their own ego-based agenda or closely-held personal bias. Ad a touch of righteousness on the side with this, and you're untouchable in your own mind, in a self-deluded kinda way.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Now, ponder these words I regurgitate--for the words surely apply to you.

YOU have shown youself a fool once and you go skipping away like it never happened .
This being the case, you now have this verse to ponder .

You omitted nearly half of what I wrote just like you do the Bible.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:22 AM

The truth offends many people ,after all they killed Jesus for it.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
These religious debates are painful to read because they are circular and never end.

There are so MANY contradictions in the bible, that each party can essentially pluck out anything to prove their point, and often what they quote from the bible is a direct contradiction to the last point they posted from the bible. They don't care though, 'cause "it's in the bible."

No matter what your issue, you can fight for it, or against it and use teachings from the bible to back it up. Flip flop, get wishy washy, change your stance, do whatever you want. You can always find something to support your position in the bible. It's a lot like a tarot card or psychic reading, always broad enough to allow anyone to self-identify and pull out what they need to satisfy their own ego-based agenda or closely-held personal bias. Ad a touch of righteousness on the side with this, and you're untouchable in your own mind, in a self-deluded kinda way.
Most of what you said is very true. That is why you have to be honest with yourself and admit it when his spirit is grieved within you. That is what it's for.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:26 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,610,153 times
I hope Josh Duggar was using a condom and practicing safe sex.

He could be introducing HIV and AIDS and other STD's into his relationship. Having sex with strangers is a large risk. Ask Jeff. He has the stats.

He and his wife should be tested, and re-tested over the next twelve months.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:01 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,705,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickstack View Post
I have shown you a fool once and you ask me to do it again? Then what? You go skipping away like it never happened again?

I'm interested in Jesus--not your narrow Pharisaical version of the bible.

But you don't read much of Jesus do you?

You claim "selectivity" on the part of several of us with regard to scripture. Once again I point out that that is exactly what you do. You didn't quote all of the passage with regard to what Jesus said about not casting pearls before swine:
Quote:
You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's. "Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine,--
Matt 7:5-6

But it's nice to see that you would apparently be the first one to pick up a stone and hit either the adulterous woman or Jesus in the head with it!

And you need to ponder this verse by Jesus as well:

Quote:
But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, 'You good-for-nothing,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.
Matt 5:22

Get a real bible education and then return to the debate. Right now you are making Josh Duggar look like a decent, upstanding christian.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:52 AM

18,486 posts, read 9,145,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I'm interested in Jesus--not your narrow Pharisaical version of the bible.

But you don't read much of Jesus do you?

You claim "selectivity" on the part of several of us with regard to scripture. Once again I point out that that is exactly what you do. You didn't quote all of the passage with regard to what Jesus said about not casting pearls before swine:
Matt 7:5-6

But it's nice to see that you would apparently be the first one to pick up a stone and hit either the adulterous woman or Jesus in the head with it!

And you need to ponder this verse by Jesus as well:

Matt 5:22

Get a real bible education and then return to the debate. Right now you are making Josh Duggar look like a decent, upstanding christian.
You cherry-pick the teachings of Jesus every bit as much as clickstack does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality